Shift Knob

CobraKai

Established Member
So I got a nice aftermarket shift knob from CJ Pony Parts to put on my Boss. It is Red with white numbers and I though it would add a nice splash of color in the predominantly black cockpit. I have installed a dozen aftermarket shifters and knobs and was shocked when I could't get the Boss knob to budge. I was afraid to use too much force but my research shows that Ford used Loctite, and a leather belt with a pipe wrench is required to get it off! What do you guys think? Is it worth it to potentially cause damage by taking it off? Has anybody here done this? Am I being a wussy?

jeff

SVOGT302

Established Member
Premium Member
I used a rubber strap wrench with no damage to the knob. A hair dryer would also help.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
Mine was beyond ridiculous trying to get off the stock knob...Ended up having to ruin the factory knob to get it off, but didn't matter because I replaced the whole shifter assembly and knob with Steeda parts. I wouldn't worry too much about hurting the factory shifter...We used a LOT of heating from a heat gun and finally got the factory shifter ball and the threaded nut under it off the stock shifter assembly.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Rubber strap wrench worked for me, but it wasn't easy. Used heat too. Was on there real good!!

CobraKai

Established Member
Rubber strap wrench worked for me, but it wasn't easy. Used heat too. Was on there real good!!

I ended up using the rubber strap wrench. No heat, it came off pretty easy once I got a good grip on it. Made me nervous though! Of course I went to put the new knob on and it doesn't fit!!!! Dammit! I guess I ordered for a Mustang GT and it is different. Need to contact CJ Pony Parts and see if I can do an exchange. Well, the stock knob is back on for now!

CobraKai

Established Member
Talked to a nice customer service rep at CJ and she said it should have fit my car. It's a possibility that the knob was fitted with the wrong sized thread. They are paying for return shipping and sending me another one!

Users who are viewing this thread