Shift knob moving under hard shifts

K-Dubb

Established Member
What can I do about this? I have the MGW short throw shifter, and under hard shifts the knob moves in my hands. Can I put some washers where the knob screws on to make it tight?

Thanks.

mooch91

Established Member
I did. Mine was twisting about 10 - 20 degrees to the right before it would lock down. So I added two fairly thick washers to bring it back to center and lock down. The washers are covered by the bunching of the shift boot, so they aren't seen.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
You need to get one with a jam nut or set screw
DSCF1126.jpg

DSCF1125.jpg

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
It's metric, 12mm X 1.75. Go to hardware store and buy a metric nut. That will fix it.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Same problem here. When the stock shifter handle had rotated to the 3 o'clock postion it didnt' bother me much b/c it was actually comfortable. But now it has rotated to about the 5 o'clock position and it annoys the hell out of me. Need to install a jam nut under the boot and hopefully fix this annoyance. It sucks when you go for a hard shift and the handle rotates on you.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
If mine moves no matter what I make it go around another full turn. Both hands on it and twist as hard as you can. Won't move again.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
mine does the same thing.. i have re adjusted it tons of times. Stays nice and tight for a bit, then starts moving on me..

I'll have to try the jam nut and see if it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread