She's down in Florida getting an extreme makeover...

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
Well after 4 years, 30,000 miles and 200 1/4 mile passes she finally wore herself out. I didn't hesitate to send her down to one of the best extreme makeover artists - Al Papitto aka Boss 330. Al called me yesterday and let me know what had occured. He found out she had a birth defect from the beginning - the early edition 03 Heads..:mj:

He said the heads were a disaster area! On one side there were 2 roasted exhaust valves. The seats had fallen out and tore up the #2 & #4 pistons. On the other side the #8 piston was shot as well due to none other than the Dead exhaust seats. Also some of the intake valve seats fell out too!! He told me this wasn't the 1st time he has witnessed this with the early 03 heads. I was hoping to have had more time on the stock motor with the 2.6KB but oh well. I didn't think the heads would've gone first.

A big thanks goes out to Big Lou, Tommy, Ken, & Boyd for trying to get her going at Maple Grove and another one to Jason & Big Lou for getting the motor out.

Jason & Big Lou strappin 'er down on the trailer for the trip to FedEx:
engineontrailer.jpg

Last edited:

snakestang

I Drive A Volvo
Established Member
Well that sucks! I must have missed something because I never even heard that your car was down.

What are you plans for the motor/heads? I am curious because I am kind of stuck right now and don't know which direction I want to head next year.

Chris

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Wow, sux yer engine let go..but at least she'll come back much stronger. Crap, I have an early run 03 myself, only 2 track passes though. Did this have to do with inadequate cooling? Did you have the LC or Evenflow cooling mod?

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
snakestang said:
Well that sucks! I must have missed something because I never even heard that your car was down.

What are you plans for the motor/heads? I am curious because I am kind of stuck right now and don't know which direction I want to head next year.

Chris

We are going with the newly designed heads. Al nor myself were comfortable with rebuilding the crap early 03 edition heads. Al is going to get back with me about what the game plan is going to be. We did go over a few things CP dish pistons, stainless(steel?) ring package, Manley i-beam rods, and arp fastners are a definate. I am going with the Teksid aluminum block strickly for the weight savings of 75lbs over the iron block.

SPRAYED DAILY said:
Good luck with the rebuild Matt, any suprises with the new setup?

Yes - I told him I wanted the "kill any and all eatons on spray" deluxe package....j/k

Rick James said:
Wow, sux yer engine let go..but at least she'll come back much stronger. Crap, I have an early run 03 myself, only 2 track passes though. Did this have to do with inadequate cooling? Did you have the LC or Evenflow cooling mod?

No nothing to do with that - I've got the Gords HE, Prefab IC box, & LDC cooling mod. I alway run race gas at the track. It was all associated with the early 03 heads that are crap. I was lucky to get as much time & abuse that I did with them - so I really can't complain - 200 passes which included the heated summer months. However Al did not have any kind words to say about the early 03 design of the heads.

Last edited:

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
JRS BLOWN SNAKE said:
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET !!!!

I hope it will keep up with mine.........:uh oh: :D :rockon: :rockon:

Glad for ya Matt..

AH HAH - I knew something was up ....I think we need to send a special convoy out to the Lewis ranch and see what's brewing in that garage...:D

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
Damn Matt... I talk to ya like 7 times a day and I had no clue:eek: Good move with the Teksid... then again, I'm a little partial:thumbsup:

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
JRS BLOWN SNAKE said:

Glad for ya Matt..

Congrats Matt! Getting a bit serious with it lately!

Oh and JR.......:pop:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Antex said:
We are going with the newly designed heads. Al nor myself were comfortable with rebuilding the crap early 03 edition heads.

It was all associated with the early 03 heads that are crap. I was lucky to get as much time & abuse that I did with them - so I really can't complain - 200 passes which included the heated summer months. However Al did not have any kind words to say about the early 03 design of the heads.
Interesting comments from Al about the "early 03' edition" heads. There's so much conflicting information about the whole Terminator head castings floating around. I was under the impression, that despite other info out there, that when all was said and done, there were two seperate castings: 1) original that came standard on all 03/04' Cobras, and 2) the Jan, 05' recastings which greatly improved the coolant circulation issues to cylinders 7 & 8.

Matt, is Al saying that in the middle of the 03' run, Ford modified the heads in some way to improve some issues they were having with the first run Cobras? So then in actuality, there were three seperate Terminator head castings?

At any rate, this is awesome news and can hardly wait till you get it back from him and up and running. Don't know if Al is planning on messing with the heads any, but have you considered checking out Steig's upgraded head porting? He's saying 60 RWHP for his top of the line 4v head port job...........As you can see Matt, I don't have any problems spending your hard earned money!!!!!!! ;-)

RedfireBeast

MACA Member #29
Established Member
JRS BLOWN SNAKE said:

Glad for ya Matt..

I think 10.00's wont be a problem with his new set up and thats with NO NOS.

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
:poke:
RedfireBeast said:
I think 10.00's wont be a problem with his new set up and thats with NO NOS.

Cool....... That will almost do it..:poke: ....lol.....

Again, real happy for ya Matt. I'm sure you'll love it..

J.R.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
JRS BLOWN SNAKE said:
:poke:

Cool....... That will almost do it..:poke: ....lol.....

Again, real happy for ya Matt. I'm sure you'll love it..

J.R.

Damn - let me call Al back and tell him to up wrench it up another notch..:lol1: Forget about being able to run 93 octane...JR's back and rumor has it he'll be doing 7k launches....:bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread