Shelby to defeat a Z06 ? Long Read

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
OK, so I am looking at the obvious here. The Z06 weighs about 3,130 lbs. and makes on avg. 455 hp to the rear wheels without any mods. That means Chevy is calculating a 10% drivetrain loss, yea right!

Also it is wearing 325's out back on a 12 inch wide wheel and all set up not to hop but rather hook up.

So stock, and I think the majority of these cars will remain stock except for cam work, head work, or nitrous. Blowing a car at this compression seems a little,,, well difficult. Does this car have forged pistons?, I know it has a light bottom end with those titanium rods.

So it has a (3130):(455 rwhp) 6.89 lb. to 1hp ratio. 6.89:1

If they can get another 100rwhp out of it at the rear wheels the ratio will be (3130):(555 rwhp) or 5.64 lbs. to 1hp ratio. 5.64:1 Freaky!!

Now can we even get anything bigger than a 295 or 315 on the back of the Shelby with shock mounting and wheel well design? We sure as hell can on an 03/04 Cobra. Not to mention with a solid axle we can get a 325 tire in there.

Now the Shelby will probably weigh an unfortunate +-3750lbs and be underrated at 450hp. The 03/04 Cobra was underrated by some 9 % actually making close to 425hp stock sometimes more. If this is the case with the Shelby we are looking at 490.5 at the flywheel.

The following ratios are what we should expect. (3750):(415 rwhp) I got 415 by calculating 85% of 490 hp= 415 rwhp estimate or 9lbs.:1hp which is sick. Not to mention we might not be able to put any rubber to the ground.

Now if we can get 600rwhp, which is all too possible approx 700hp at the flywheel we will have a nice little ratio of 6.25:1 which means we could possibly break the Z06's back in the quarter if we can get some rubber on this car in redlight to redlight trim.

If we run into a Z06 spraying making 555rwhp and 5.64:1hp we need to do better obviously.

Like 675 rwhp which some 03/04 Cobra owners are packing as we speak. In the Shelby this would equate to 5.55lbs:1hp. and approx . 776-800hp to the flywheel using 15-18% for drivetrain loss.

So in all reality a 3600lb Cobra wearing Nitto 315's and packing 600hp should spank the new Z06 redlight to redlight and in the quarter. The power to weight would be 6:1 better than the stock Z06's 6.89:1

I might just stick with my 03 since I can get the rubber on it one way or another and it is lighter by a touch over the unofficial Shelby numbers.

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
A well tuned 600 rwhp KB or Whippled charged Terminator (with traction) shouldn't have much trouble spanking the new Z06 in a drag race. :burnout:

Last edited:

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Captain Beyond said:
A well tuned 600 rwhp KB or Whippled charged Terminator (with traction) shouldn't have much trouble spanking the new Z06 in a drag race. :burnout:

I know, now we just need a couple of good drag races to see how much the Z06 can put to the ground.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
factory numbers are 11.70 at 122. there are plenty of guys pulling better then that with ported eaton cobras....

Its that 198MPH top speed thats a killer.

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
Tom's_03SVT said:
factory numbers are 11.70 at 122. there are plenty of guys pulling better then that with ported eaton cobras....

Yea we are out on the top speed, but I don't like jail anyway so I'll keep it under 140.

CobraZb

Blown Cobra *****
Established Member
I think we need to come back to reality here. A stock Z06 running 11.7 and modded cobra's running the same. I mean come on here you are tapping the limit on a 03 cobra when running mid 11's for a street car here. I mean there are some crazy few but I dont think the average cobra will run past that. Now add some cams and a few other things and that Z06 is out there killing us. I am just telling it how it is.

Harry Schneider

Established Member
me too 03 Black 10th ann.

Tom's_03SVT said:

My car dyno'ed 470 rwhp and 490 rwtq, and the last Vette I raced on the highway disappeared in my mirror, he was about 1/2 mile back by the time I checked the speedo at 245kph and pulling hard!! The Cobra motor is so strong at low and mid range, I'm usually a couple cars ahead by the time they start to make power. A Whipple or KB Cobra will run with the Vette top end, guarenteed!! Chevy likes to blow up their numbers, I just read Road and Track and it only ran 12.3 in the 1/4! That's STOCK 03-04 Cobra territory!! The 03-04 Cobra IS one of the worlds most awesome cars period!! Oh ya...it's only 281 cid!!! F--Kin awesome!!! The Z06 isn't that much quicker that the 05. Race as many as you can and you'll see!

Last edited:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Yates...Man said:
Not to mention with a solid axle we can get a 325 tire in there.

You can get a 335 on a SSR 18 x 10.5 on the IRS with a shaved bolt only. At least 1 member doing it on this board right now. Do a solid axle from a 95-99 GT and you get another 3/4" on both sides of available tire space.

Keep your 03. It seems you're mostly concerned with the straight line thing; the S197 chassis, let alone the GT500, weighs too much. Buy a Ford GT block and heads, build it with proper internal then drop it in your 03. Way better for the power/weight ratio.

Harry Schneider said:
A Whipple or KB Cobra will run with the Vette top end, guarenteed

Come back down to earth, you sound like a car salesman.

If you really think your brick S/C mustang is going to keep up on the big end with a better powerband car that is a knife cutting through the air in comparison to your brick... :smmon:

Last edited:

Yates...Man

TRMN8R
Established Member
50 BMG said:
You can get a 335 on a SSR 18 x 10.5 on the IRS with a shaved bolt only. At least 1 member doing it on this board right now. Do a solid axle from a 95-99 GT and you get another 3/4" on both sides of available tire space.

Keep your 03. It seems you're mostly concerned with the straight line thing; the S197 chassis, let alone the GT500, weighs too much. Buy a Ford GT block and heads, build it with proper internal then drop it in your 03. Way better for the power/weight ratio.

Come back down to earth, you sound like a car salesman.

If you really think your brick S/C mustang is going to keep up on the big end with a better powerband car that is a knife cutting through the air in comparison to your brick... :smmon:

I agree!

JiggaStyles09

Established Member
Harry Schneider said:
A Whipple or KB Cobra will run with the Vette top end, guarenteed!! Chevy likes to blow up their numbers, I just read Road and Track and it only ran 12.3 in the 1/4! That's STOCK 03-04 Cobra territory!!

i did see that road and track but they just retested it against the viper in the newest issue and got a 12.0 1/4 mile out of it.

also you have to keep things in perspective, if i remember correctly road and track got a 13.2 or 13.3 out of the 03 cobra which is about 1 second (give or take) behind the new Z06. which if you take some of the best new z06 times i have seen (11.6-11.7) and the best times of a stock terminator wich were mid to high twelves there is still about a 1 second difference.

so if your going to compare magazine times you need to keep it consistant and make sure you take times from the same magazine. even then it can difficult to compare unless the test were done on the same track the same day with the same driver, due to track conditions and slight variances you get between each individual car.

but you wont get any argument from me in that the 03-04 cobra is one hell of a car!

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
havnt you people heard about the new Z getting more power with higher mileage? no matter what it is still gonna take some work to tame that beast. sure, you can put your whipple on your 03/04 and some other doodads and beat a stock Z but your still modding a car just so you can beat a stock one.

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
Shelby Gt500 Vs 2006 Z06

Let us all give the Corvette it's due....A Stock Shelby GT500 will not be faster in a 1/4 mile test, or handle as well as a Stock Z06 on a road course....You guys are comparing apples to oranges, a steel-bodied 2 plus 2 coupe versus a 2 seater composite-bodied sports car, designed from the bottom up to be what it is, and still delivery 25+ mpg on the fwys....You can modify one car or both cars and the margins will probably always be on Corvette's side.....The Shelby is a whole different animal with obvious advantages over the Corvette, but the Corvette is the premier American Sports car right now, in the 2-seater catagory, and is a bargain for what it delivers in performance....I am a Ford guy through and through, but l tip my hat at Corvette, and wish Ford had kept developing the 2-seater T-bird into a Corvette-eater, but as you all know, they gave up the race in 1957. Chevrolet has been committed to the Corvette since 1953, and the Z06 is the result of over 50 years of constant development. Just be aware that a Z06 SS is planned for 2008 model year, with a smaller-displacement blown motor rated at 600+ HP......

BooBsRGR8

Established Member
1993cobramustan said:
Let us all give the Corvette it's due....A Stock Shelby GT500 will not be faster in a 1/4 mile test, or handle as well as a Stock Z06 on a road course....You guys are comparing apples to oranges, a steel-bodied 2 plus 2 coupe versus a 2 seater composite-bodied sports car, designed from the bottom up to be what it is, and still delivery 25+ mpg on the fwys....You can modify one car or both cars and the margins will probably always be on Corvette's side.....The Shelby is a whole different animal with obvious advantages over the Corvette, but the Corvette is the premier American Sports car right now, in the 2-seater catagory, and is a bargain for what it delivers in performance....I am a Ford guy through and through, but l tip my hat at Corvette, and wish Ford had kept developing the 2-seater T-bird into a Corvette-eater, but as you all know, they gave up the race in 1957. Chevrolet has been committed to the Corvette since 1953, and the Z06 is the result of over 50 years of constant development. Just be aware that a Z06 SS is planned for 2008 model year, with a smaller-displacement blown motor rated at 600+ HP......
Hats off to you sir, way to tell it like it is from a non biased position. However, I'm surprised nobody used the $$$ argurement. A new Z06 at ~ 70k vs Cobra ~ 40k with 30k in mods???

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
BooBsRGR8 said:
Hats off to you sir, way to tell it like it is from a non biased position. However, I'm surprised nobody used the $$$ argurement. A new Z06 at ~ 70k vs Cobra ~ 40k with 30k in mods???

Remember, I said the Shelby has "obvious advantages" Affordability is definetly one of those advantages,besides a more practical car that can be driven with more than 2 passengers, and still have a trunk for "stuff", etc.....etc.....

shocker 420

Established Member
BooBsRGR8 said:
surprised nobody used the $$$ argurement. A new Z06 at ~ 70k vs Cobra ~ 40k with 30k in mods???

If you don't buy or have the money to afford a $70,000, then what makes someone think that someone would put or even beable afford having $30,000 into on car?!

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Harry Schneider said:
My car dyno'ed 470 rwhp and 490 rwtq, and the last Vette I raced on the highway disappeared in my mirror, he was about 1/2 mile back by the time I checked the speedo at 245kph and pulling hard!! The Cobra motor is so strong at low and mid range, I'm usually a couple cars ahead by the time they start to make power. A Whipple or KB Cobra will run with the Vette top end, guarenteed!! Chevy likes to blow up their numbers, I just read Road and Track and it only ran 12.3 in the 1/4! That's STOCK 03-04 Cobra territory!! The 03-04 Cobra IS one of the worlds most awesome cars period!! Oh ya...it's only 281 cid!!! F--Kin awesome!!! The Z06 isn't that much quicker that the 05. Race as many as you can and you'll see!

If you really believe thata C6Z only can run 12.3 in the 1/4 and is in '03/'04 territory, I want what you're smoking. There are vidoes of stock ones running 11.5's @ ~125 floating around. This car would KILL a '03/'04 cobra, as it should. We're talking more than 10mph by the end of the 1/4.

Chevy definately did NOT blow up their numbers on this car.

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
as much as i hate to say it, i think the only time a shelby will hang with a c6 z06 is on the highway, from a roll. even then, it'll probably need 80-100 more ponies than the vette, because of weight difference and distribution. not to mention superior areodynamics. at a stoplight, i would think it would take a hell of alot of mods to be competitive with one. i think the gt 500 is going to be more of a highway terror. alot of people are really underestimating the new z. just wait until these new owners get comfortable with them and parts start coming out. remember, anyone who can afford a 70k car is probably an enthusiast who can probably find a way to extract alot more performance out of them. i bleed ford blue, but i have to say this thing is probably going to be a monster from a stoplight.

Last edited:

METALBEAST

Best of Both Worlds
Established Member
I think the 415 RWHP estimate for the new Shelby is on the low side. My gut feeling is that these cars will put down RWHP numbers very close to their FWHP ratings (430-450 RWHP).

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
:pepper:
METALBEAST said:
I think the 415 RWHP estimate for the new Shelby is on the low side. My gut feeling is that these cars will put down RWHP numbers very close to their FWHP ratings (430-450 RWHP).
i hope so. i've got my deposit down for one already.

Users who are viewing this thread