Shelby Raptor

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Probably similar to a Roush Raptor. Figure roughly ~$17k on top of the Raptor purchase price.

boost4me

Banned
They need to dump that shelby crap and bring the prices down across the board for all the SVT's... freakin rediculous

I mean come on - 60K for a freakin Cobra? You can pick up a nice 03/04 and put as little 10K into it and have a VERY competitive vehicle. Even as little as 2-3K will put you right up there with a stock one.

boost4me

Banned
If they just would have built the motor right from the factory with forged internals you would save a ton of $$.

Raptor's are awesome, I would personally rather see the raptor with the Ecoboost V6 or V8 forged internals w/blower from factory.

Kinda funny how the Ecoboost F-150 smokes a factory raptor. The raptor just looks much cooler, but under the hood the Ecoboost F-150 is a MUCH better starting point IMO.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
Kinda funny how the Ecoboost F-150 smokes a factory raptor. The raptor just looks much cooler, but under the hood the Ecoboost F-150 is a MUCH better starting point IMO.

Perhaps you mean a tuned Ecoboost beats a factory raptor. A stock Ecoboost? No way.

I test drove a 2013 Ecoboost FX4 and 5.0 FX4 before getting my Raptor. I couldn't stomach either of them stock. They couldn't get out of their own way.

Last edited:

swordjr24

WNALOSE
Established Member
If they just would have built the motor right from the factory with forged internals you would save a ton of $$.

Raptor's are awesome, I would personally rather see the raptor with the Ecoboost V6 or V8 forged internals w/blower from factory.

Sorry but I've got a raptor and my buddy has an eco boost and can't beat it. Both 4x4. And why an eco boost when you could have a V8? I am VERY VERY pleased with my 6.2, especially compared to the 4.6, 5.4 and even supercharged 5.4's I've owned. I wouldn't want anything but my 6.2 in my raptor. Plus it is the best non-diesel towing vehicle I've ever pulled with. Just my 2¢ from an owner though :)

boost4me

Banned
Wow. So that 'chipped' Raptor ran worse than stock factory times (15.3/91 MPH). Pretty sure that video one is stock.

Yeah, I'm not sure what altitude they were at though... If it was a higher altitude run the ecoboost would have a tremendous advantage over the normally aspirated V8.

boost4me

Banned
Sorry but I've got a raptor and my buddy has an eco boost and can't beat it. Both 4x4. And why an eco boost when you could have a V8? I am VERY VERY pleased with my 6.2, especially compared to the 4.6, 5.4 and even supercharged 5.4's I've owned. I wouldn't want anything but my 6.2 in my raptor. Plus it is the best non-diesel towing vehicle I've ever pulled with. Just my 2¢ from an owner though :)

Not to get into a pissing match here, but seriously - since your a cobra owner, I would think you of all people would understand the advantages of starting with a forged forced induction engine vs. a POS normally aspirated V8. I believe the Ecoboost has forged internals just like the Cobra (but correct me if I am wrong) Not to mention if you ever run at high altitude, a turbo or pullied blower is a HUGE advantage over an N/A motor...

This was an expensive lesson for me when I bought my Mach 1 living in Albuquerque back in 2003. The raptor is a sweet truck when it comes to pure off road and looks, but IMO Ford seriously they screwed up big time on the performance end with an unbuilt normally aspirated V8.

swordjr24

WNALOSE
Established Member
Not to get into a pissing match here, but seriously - since your a cobra owner, I would think you of all people would understand the advantages of starting with a forged forced induction engine vs. a POS normally aspirated V8. I believe the Ecoboost has forged internals just like the Cobra (but correct me if I am wrong) Not to mention if you ever run at high altitude, a turbo or pullied blower is a HUGE advantage over an N/A motor...

This was an expensive lesson for me when I bought my Mach 1 living in Albuquerque back in 2003. The raptor is a sweet truck when it comes to pure off road and looks, but IMO Ford seriously they screwed up big time on the performance end with an unbuilt normally aspirated V8.

To my knowledge the ecoboost does not have forged internals. It would be a big surprise to me if they did. And the 6.2 is actually a very strong motor. About more capable that Ford's older V8's. I'll have to see if I can find the article on the raptor forums about the 6.2 and post it. But I do love boost, but on a V8. I am just a little more old school and believe a truck should have a V8. I'm also set in my ways. But to each their own.

DriftwoodSVT

Established Member
but IMO Ford seriously they screwed up big time on the performance end with an unbuilt normally aspirated V8.

The Raptor was never designed to be a drag / race truck. That was never its intention. It's not a Lightning replacement.

Browse the Raptor forums on some other sites sometime. You will see the majority of Raptor owners don't want or need FI for offroad use.

boost4me

Banned
The Raptor was never designed to be a drag / race truck. That was never its intention. It's not a Lightning replacement.

Browse the Raptor forums on some other sites sometime. You will see the majority of Raptor owners don't want or need FI for offroad use.

No I totally agree, for straight offroad N/A is fine, with 4 LOW you can get all the power you would ever need from a 4 or 6 cylinder. But lets call a spade a spade here.... how often are you using this truck for offroad vs. street and also lets not forget towing. That's my biggest pet peeve - I want a truck that's great for offroad, but I also want to throw 10,000 pounds behind it and pull a hill at 75mph at 7000 feet, there's no N/A motor that can do that. And actually with some work the Ecoboost is much closer to that capability then the raptor would ever be without a rebuilt motor.

boost4me

Banned
To my knowledge the ecoboost does not have forged internals. It would be a big surprise to me if they did. And the 6.2 is actually a very strong motor. About more capable that Ford's older V8's. I'll have to see if I can find the article on the raptor forums about the 6.2 and post it. But I do love boost, but on a V8. I am just a little more old school and believe a truck should have a V8. I'm also set in my ways. But to each their own.

Its making a fair amount of boost from what I understand, I would think that the engine would have to contain some pretty strong internals. I thought I read somewhere that the pistons rods and crank were all forged.

Users who are viewing this thread