Shelby/Kicker 6x8's and 8'' subs ?s

96svtdriver

Established Member
Recently I purchased two pairs of the Shelby/Kicker 6x8's and the pair of 8'' subs for the doors. I did the swap in two phases, the first was last weekend and the second today. I did the doors last weekend and the rears today. The doors, especially the 8's sounded really good with thump despite being on the stock amp still. Today when I swapped in the rear Shelby/Kicker speakers and turned the car's audio on, there was a noticeable loss in bass and I don't understand why. I unplugged the rears and ran the audio over again and the doors seemed to bump more again. :dw: I intend on running a bass mekanics CD in the car to see what I've lost. Does anyone know what's happening here?

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
I can't remember specifically since it has been quite a while since ive done a set of the Shelby Kicker 6x8's, but if I remember correctly, the wiring is not plug and play, you have to spice the wires in. If that is the case, try switching the polarity at the rear speakers.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Oh, and don't run any bass cd, way too much distortion there, you could end up damaging your speakers.

96svtdriver

Established Member
I want to stay with Kicker amps then. What kind of 4channel am I going to need to push these as they were intended? Does anyone have the spec page for the 6x8's and are they 2ohm stable?

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
The stock amps should be fine to run that setup. The 8" subs in the doors and the front/rear 6x8's are powered by seperate amps. If you wire up one or more of your speakers out of phase (hooking the + to the -) will cause an appreciable reduction in bass response.

If you are still set on purchasing a 4 channel amp, then a Kicker 4x50 amp will be more than sufficient.

I am not sure if you are asking if the speakers are 2 ohm stable or the amp. Speakers arent any ohm stable, but the Shelby Kickers should be rated at 4 ohms. All kicker amps should be 2 ohm stable, no matter the model.

96svtdriver

Established Member
The stock amps should be fine to run that setup. The 8" subs in the doors and the front/rear 6x8's are powered by seperate amps. If you wire up one or more of your speakers out of phase (hooking the + to the -) will cause an appreciable reduction in bass response.

If you are still set on purchasing a 4 channel amp, then a Kicker 4x50 amp will be more than sufficient.

I am not sure if you are asking if the speakers are 2 ohm stable or the amp. Speakers arent any ohm stable, but the Shelby Kickers should be rated at 4 ohms. All kicker amps should be 2 ohm stable, no matter the model.

I can tell you the phases are properly set on each speaker due to these being plug-n-play with the factory connectors. The subs, I verified the + and - being connected properly.:read:

I honestly didn't think a 200w rms, 4 channel amp would be sufficient. I was looking at a 400w or 500w x 4 at 2ohm Kicker. I don't know what the speakers/8" subs are currently RMS'ing with the stock amp currently, but it's all obviously under powered.

Last edited:

snkchmr 1

I have had the Kicker package in 2 cars now & the one in my 2011 base car did not have the door subs but both came with an extra amp.
Its a very neat kit.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
I have had the Kicker package in 2 cars now & the one in my 2011 base car did not have the door subs but both came with an extra amp.
Its a very neat kit.

I had forgetten that part. Like I said it has been quite a while since I installed the package in a car.

96svtdriver

Established Member
Its a very neat kit.

Unfortunately I have navigation so I can't for whatever the reason use the Shelby/kicker amp. Ill have to go total aftermarket.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Its a very neat kit.

So are you guys getting these kits from ShelbyStore.com?

I saw them on there but was not sure if you could run them off the stock system.....adding just the door subs sound good then.....just don't add them worth the rear 6x8's?

Users who are viewing this thread