Shelby GT500KR

Deerslayer

Established Member
My Brother in Law was here at the house all week for the holidays. On the way here, they attended the Leakey Car Auction in Dallas looking @ '65's for his son as a DD. He ended up buying a '09 Shelby GT500KR at what seems to be a decent price for the car. Doesn't yet know if he is going to try to sell it or keep it. It is immaculate and drives great. Comparing to my son's '13 that is supercharged, it doesn't have the horses my son's car has, but still put up a good fight. I was surprised the handling was so good in the car. We had some fun putting both cars through their paces and though the Shelby doesn't have near the top end or HP my son's car does, it was great from a dig. He would jump to a quick lead, but it was always short lived. The stance of the KR was really good looking as well as the suspension cornered surprisingly well. I wish I had got some decent pics or would have checked them when I took them. They ALL turned out super washed out as I didn't have the camera set up right and never checked. Salvaged a few pics the best I could.
KR1_zpsf37e3803.jpg

KR3_zpsc8c1c8aa.jpg

KR2_zpsbeb83873.jpg

Joewee500

Established Member
Cool story. Some race videos would have made it even better. I'm surprised the Shelby put up a fight at all with a blown 5.0. Maybe a better driver in the Shelby.

Deerslayer

Established Member
LOL, it was only a fight for a few hundred feet. The '13 pulled him quickly. Rolls weren't even close.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Roll races require zero driver skill so there was definitely a better driver in the KR. Both are awesome cars though, I love that grey on the 5.0
Nice cars!

Deerslayer

Established Member
OP, define decent price.

He paid 38k. Car is immaculate, no dings, scratches or anything but does have 50k miles on it. The car does have complete maintenance records that came with it. It is mechanically in great shape as well.

Not a race vid, but when we were headed back from testing the cars:

[video=youtube;bj9sKRE-Fws]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj9sKRE-Fws&list=UUEA2c3odMFfIcbV1v_0IvCg[/video]

Last edited:

oldlugs

Established Member
KRs were factory rated at 540HP. They, like the other '07-'12 GT500s, really wake up with a blower change. Their stock Goodyear Eagle F1 tires are of a softer compound than the standard GY F1 and do work OK when heated up. KR tires look the same, except for the addition of the old GY "wingfoot" logo on the sidewall.
Guessing that the KR here was all stock(?).

mavisky

Established Member
Even with the mileage that's a great buy for that car. I'll confirm that the KR suspension make a noticeable difference as compared to the stock GT500 setup.

Nice cars, but it's probably down almost 200hp to the 2013.

Kevin P

Established Member
I put the KR suspension on my 2010 GT500 and I really like it. Does have a much nicer stance than stock ones but not to low or to harsh. That seems like a good price for that car, given they are somewhat collectible.

Users who are viewing this thread