Shelby GT (not 500) vs. GT

ILLBITE

1 Bad GT
Established Member
Hey guys what does the shelby gt feel like compared to the regular gt and how bad will the Shelby gt beat the OEM GT in the 1/4??? Thanks and if this is a re-post I humbly apolojize!!:coolman: Oh btw will the Shelby GT's be worth any money years down the road? I am asking this because I am thinking trading in and getting a shelby gt! I don't know if I should race/drive it or garage it all the cars life??:lol1::rolling::poke:

Wild Stallion

Established Member
never seen a comparison between the two but essentialy the Shelby is a GT with the ussual basic mods. Shelby GT>stock GT......Stock GT with same mods as Shelby>Shelby GT(due to better tuning than Ford tune) And it all depends on what you want to do with the car. In the long run due to Shelby name I would speculate that it will value better than a standard GT but for me I dont guy cars for collecting I buy them to drive them and have fun.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
with the shelby gt being 10k more than the regular gt i say dont bother! i love the looks of the them but they are just too expensive. they do offer a little better acceleration and a little better handling, but the bullitt will still outrun it on track. the bullitt is also selling for under 30k right now. the bullitt would be the one i would purchase.

yes the shelby gt may be worth something in 40 years. however 10k now in some good mutual funds i bet will be worth more in 40 years!:beer:

ILLBITE

1 Bad GT
Established Member
Yeah I like the stealth look of the Bullitt I might just spring for that!! But I have been going to a place called Texas Direct and they have many great deals so that is who I plan on purchasing from not from a Ford Dealer which marks the cars up that 10K you said!! Thanks for the advice!!!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Yeah I like the stealth look of the Bullitt I might just spring for that!! But I have been going to a place called Texas Direct and they have many great deals so that is who I plan on purchasing from not from a Ford Dealer which marks the cars up that 10K you said!! Thanks for the advice!!!

the dealers are not marking the shelby gt's up. its shelby. a premium mustang gt is around 30k msrp. the bullitt mustang it 33k msrp. to add the shelby package is over 38k plus another 1k for the gas tax msrp. this is before any options go on the mustang.

msrp on the shelby gt is generally 39k-41k before dealer price increase. that is just nuts on a 300hp car! pay 3k more and get the gt500.:idea:

Last edited:

WVUAnt

Lets Go!!.....
Established Member
For performance, the Bullitt...if you want to put 10Kmiles on something and turn it into a summer only car that will be worth something in 25 years, do the Shelby. I would not recommend the GT if you are concerned about resale value.

01mnrelgraycbra

Established Member
It might be worth checking out, you can find left over 07/08 shelby gt's for the same price as the bullitt. That's what I did and got 0% for 72 months.

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
I got the Shelby GT before the bullitt was available. The suspension rocks, the acceleration difference you can feel, plus the stares....everybody knows what a Shelby is. Did I pay too much for it? Probably....am I worried about it? naw.....you only live once. Plus the Shelby GT is actually built at Shelby automobiles in Las Vegas whereas the GT500 is finished in Michigan. Also the SGT production #s are half what the GT500 #s are. More rare.....definitely. Worth more in the future.....I think so.

red9450

Established Member
Bolt on GT vs Stock shelby GT

07 GT vs 07 Shelby GT- Video

thats a terrible comparison.....

The shelby GT guy can't drive himself out of a paper bag, and took a small nap at the line to boot.

My own personal opinion of the shelby gt, having driven both the GT, bullitt, and gt500 is;

The Shelby GT is a very well rounded car. It's a nicely put together package, not to mention that the car looks outstanding. The front/rear dist. is much better than that of the GT500. It does not have the power or off the showroom floor potential of the 500, however it does feel faster from light to light than the 500 because of the sound as well as the gearing of the rear and trans in comp to the 500. It also puts the power that it does make down much better.
When I had the white cobra that is in my sig, I raced my buddy on the highway with his shelby GT, and it was a dead heat race from 45-125.

The bullitt is a great car as well. It doesn't feel quite as fast as the GT, however the only way you would ever know is to line the 2 cars up, or drive them back to back. The Bullitt is quieter than the shelby gt, but that kind of goes along with the stealth concept that the bullitt is. Everything about the car is understated, and therefor is going to appeal to a different audience. One of the nice things about the bullitt is that the car has unique computer mapping that can distinguish between 87-93 octane and adjust power accordingly So, if you wanted to drive the car daily and run 87 to save a few $$$ the car will run without skipping a beat. Now take this same car to the track on the weekend, just run the tank down close to empty, and fill with 93. the car will bump the timing and other parameters accordingly and make additional power. Its unique to the Bullitt.

All nice cars,

Bullitt is the bargin of the bunch. End story

Shelby GT is a well rounded car, that may be a little overpriced, but is somewhat rare and unique, and a very well balanced machine from the factory. If you plan on purchasing the car and keeping it in factory form this IS a good car, nice package, and not a bad deal all things considered. Also gets more looks than most any other mustang on the road.

The GT500 is A nose heavy Monster motor of a car that with a few $$$ will run with most cars on the road, and look great doing it. All in what you want in your car....IMO

Last edited:

01mnrelgraycbra

Established Member
I had a deal worked out on a black 07, leather, iup, heated seats, shaker500, and sat radio for $29,900. The shipping from Iowa ended up making this more than 08 that I found.

01mnrelgraycbra

Established Member
that was the black 07 shelby gt for 29.9 after the 1k gas tax and after the 7.5k dollar shelby fee?

Yes sir, that price included everything except shipping. I got my 08 for 33k. The extra 1.5k was worth not having to worry about shipping damage and my wife loves the vista blue. The deals are out there, just got to find them.

David Hester

Established Member
Local dealer had 2 in May. marked down to 40,000. Couple of weeks after I bought my Roush, I noticed the one Shelby GT left was marked down again to $36,000. I think it sold for that. (early June)
I drove the Shelby GT back to back with a stock GT and then the Roush. No real kick in the pants quicker (yes, tad more engine noise) with the Shelby GT. Handling package seemed to work. Roush had power and handling for the same price. I do worry about cast bottomend, but with just 5-6 lbs boost, it should last ok.
Not sure Shebly GT/ Roush/ FRPP aren't all Suspension Dynamics stuff with different decals.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Get the GT CS and slap on some bolt-on.

You get the basic Shelby look, and better performance for much less.

Users who are viewing this thread