Shelby gt 500 or zo6 Vette

wudy

Established Member
I will be looking for a gt 500 or a zo6 vette in the next year or so but im stuck on wich one to buy.

My wife wants a car for herself. She actually wants my 04 Cobra. I have no problem with that, as long as I can buy what I want. And I want one of these beasts. I have around 55-60k to spend.

Im looking at buying the 10 Shelby gt 500. I love the looks of both exterior and interior or this animal. I also love the fact you could bolt on a k.b. or wipple to exceed the 700hp level and just destroy the vett.

The vett im cosidering is the c-6 zo6. These cars do it all right out of the box. They handle, they brake and they have a shit load of power. I also love the looks of these as well. My neighbour has a c-6 and I have been in his car many times. I am surprised how comfortable this car is to drive.

I dont think I could go wrong with any car I buy, but I would like to hear from some of you who may of had one or the other of these machines...

:beer:

R1Lello

Established Member
you need 150+ hp more to beat (barely) the stock Z 06........it's my next toy to join the GT500. 4 post hoist already done and waiting. I'll be buying an '08 - '10 model year.

wudy

Established Member
you need 150+ hp more to beat (barely) the stock Z 06........it's my next toy to join the GT500. 4 post hoist already done and waiting. I'll be buying an '08 - '10 model year.

They are almost the same power level from factory. So that 150hp your talking about must be because of the weight difference. I think its about
700-800lbs ?

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
They are almost the same power level from factory. So that 150hp your talking about must be because of the weight difference. I think its about
700-800lbs ?

Yes, the vettes weigh less, but theres more than that..

If it were me, I'd go with the Z06. 30mpg highway, can stop on a dime, accelerate fast, and are VERY comfortable to drive.

You cant go wrong with either.. But after driving a cammed/bolt-on C6 Z, I didnt think it could get much better.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
id get this and a boost controller:
34773d1274663435-84-ford-exp-turbo-550-oregon-std_1984_ford_exp-1.jpg

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Out of the two choices you offer I'd get a GT500, but an '11 instead of a '10. I'm a Mustang guy before I'm a Vette guy, though I have nothing against Vettes. They're great cars. Above either of those I'd get a '11 5.0 Mustang though. Or a Boss 302 if I had 55-60k to spend like you talk about.

Jaysin

Established Member
I'd go for the Z, especially if your going to keep your Cobra in the family. I'm really coming around to the C6 Z's, just such a bargain for the money, really is an amazing piece of machinery. I'd love to own one myself one day, nowhere near that point financially yet, but thats neither here nor there. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

wudy

Established Member
Draw up a list of things you want in a car and you will find your answer.

I agree and I have. Here is my list:

1. Crazy power. = both
2. Handling = vette
3. Brakes = vette
4. Exterior = both
5. Interior = Gt 500
6. Driveability = both
7. Upgrade potential = Gt 500
8. Cost of upgrades = Gt 500
9. Comfort = both

Its a tough call. I have always owned nothing but mustangs for the last 20 years. Not because im a Ford guy, versus Gm, but because I think the mustang is the better car for my intended use. My intended use for these two are street cars with the capability to drive across the country comfortably or just cruising around town picking on anybody who wants to play with fire. Im just trying to pick the right car that fits me.

Last edited:

wudy

Established Member
I'd go for the Z, especially if your going to keep your Cobra in the family. I'm really coming around to the C6 Z's, just such a bargain for the money, really is an amazing piece of machinery. I'd love to own one myself one day, nowhere near that point financially yet, but thats neither here nor there. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

I do agree its a fantastic piece of machinery. I love the technology in my neighbours c-6. Its really all the little things that make the car terrific.

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
as someone who won't ever be able to afford either one, I'd choose the gt500 anyday. I live in the home of corvettes so I see all the badass vettes I need to and more. However, when I see a gt500 all I can do is stare because of how rare and awesome it is to see one driving on the street.

V3NMOUS

Old guy's rule!
Established Member
After careful consideration I am buying an 11 GT 500. Both cars are awesome, however I like the option of a backseat.The glass roof in the GT 500 is the SH** as well. I also like the electronics that are available on the GT 500. I owned a 03 Z-06 and it was a great car, but I found my self wanting the extra room that the Mustang provides on more than one that occasion. If I go golfing with one of my buddy's and I drive, I like knowing that both bags of clubs will fit. Just my .02

cobracide

Established Member
I agree and I have. Here is my list:

1. Crazy power. = both
2. Handling = vette
3. Brakes = vette
4. Exterior = both
5. Interior = Gt 500
6. Driveability= both
7. Upgrade potential = Gt 500
8. Cost of upgrades = Gt 500
9. Driveability = both
10. Comfort = both

Its a tough call. I have always owned nothing but mustangs for the last 20 years. Not because im a Ford guy, versus Gm, but because I think the mustang is the better car for my intended use. My intended use for these two are street cars with the capability to drive across the country comfortably or just cruising around town picking on anybody who wants to play with fire. I just trying to pick the right car that fits me.

I assume you've ranked them most important to least, the corvette wins -having won two of the top three parameters.

Driveability (drive-ability) is listed twice.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
It's personal opinion. On that budget you will be buying a used car vs a brand new GT500.

The new 2011 GT500s are more impressive than the previous ones. They're lighter more balanced, pull 1.00Gs on a skidpad and brake quicker than the previous GT500s.

That's bone stock with just tires.
[youtube_browser]VAKgviKzOjs[/youtube_browser]

I believe he's since gone quicker, around 11.2s and still stock.

The GT500 is a big pony car with backseats and a lot more trunk space. It's not very low to the ground and the suspension is actually not stiff at all. It feels like a touring car more than anything else. It also creates a different type of powerband that hits hard down low with short gearing, (3.73 package).

A Z06 is just a beast, it handles a lot better, brakes shorter and it's faster. Very tall gearing going past 60mph in 1st gear and with a different type of powerband, (if you like to do 60mph rolling start races it sure loves those!).

While it has all the creature comforts and available options of any luxury car, it is a much smaller, true 2 seater sports car. Really a completely different animal, get in one and it feels like you're sitting on the ground. It's a true sports car, whereas a GT500 is just a very well performing pony car.

The suspension on the Z06 is also very stiff. If you get a chance drive a non-z51 C6, then a Z51 c6 and then a C6 Z06. There is a huge difference in ride quality.

wudy

Established Member
I assume you've ranked them most important to least, the corvette wins -having won two of the top three parameters.

Driveability (drive-ability) is listed twice.

I didnt realize I may of ranked then most important to least but we will go with that. Your right. Mabey thats why I have always been leaning towards the vette.
I fixed the driveability issue. Opps. My bad, but very important.

Users who are viewing this thread