Shelby brakes

01svtL

Established Member
Would the stock brakes off of a 2007 Shelby fit on a base 2014 (no Brembo)? Would they be an upgrade at all?

chao5.0

Established Member
yes because the Brembo's from a 2007 GT500 are pretty much the exact same as the ones found on the current Brembo equipped GT's. now if you are talking about the brakes from a Shelby GT then no I wouldn't do it since its no advantage and if you just want better braking performance from your stock setup just upgrade the pads, lines to SS braided, and a higher temp fluid like a DOT 4 or 5.

86Fbody

Established Member
yes because the Brembo's from a 2007 GT500 are pretty much the exact same as the ones found on the current Brembo equipped GT's. now if you are talking about the brakes from a Shelby GT then no I wouldn't do it since its no advantage and if you just want better braking performance from your stock setup just upgrade the pads, lines to SS braided, and a higher temp fluid like a DOT 4 or 5.

No no on DOT 5, yes on DOT 4 or 5.1.

chao5.0

Established Member
im about to switch to RBF 660 so I wasn't going to recommend him the RBF 600 or RBF 600, all in all I would stay with DOT 4 if I was just upgrading non Brembo brakes.

01svtL

Established Member
Asking because a friend of mine said he'd give me his stockers that have been sitting in his garage for a couple of years. Anything I need to check for or be worried about if they have been sitting a while?

chao5.0

Established Member
buy new hoses so you can forget checking those, I'd check the rubber boots around the caliper pistons for signs or cracking and splitting. I would buy new pads and have the rotors resurfaced or if its in the budget get new rotors.

01svtL

Established Member
buy new hoses so you can forget checking those, I'd check the rubber boots around the caliper pistons for signs or cracking and splitting. I would buy new pads and have the rotors resurfaced or if its in the budget get new rotors.

Thanks, what hoses do you recommend? And rotors? I know several of the vendors have come out with their "own" slotted rotors at fairly good prices, but are they any good? Pad suggestions?

Thanks again. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to brakes.

chao5.0

Established Member
you can check Vorshlag's website they have everything you need or check out KNS brakes. I went to KNS brakes to get my slotted rotors and SS braided lines (I believe they are Goodrich) I also use Carbotech AX6 pads for the street but i'll be upgrading to the XP10 for street use because I do drive hard and do personal practices in open parking lots on my setup so I can boil fluid and exceed these pads temps doing that. if your car is a pure street car or a drag car I would just stick with the AX6 pads although they are dusty and make noise or use a stock replacement pad, and then do SS braided lines. I have been told that the slotted rotors aren't that much of a upgrade over the blanks so you could just order everything you need from Vorshlag because there blanks are the cheapest I found. another company to look at for parts is Full Tilt Boogie racing.

Voltwings

Established Member
my XP10s dust and squeak like hell, Be ready for that. Have you tried the carbotech 1521 for street use? Thinking about snagging some of those next.

chao5.0

Established Member
my XP10s dust and squeak like hell, Be ready for that. Have you tried the carbotech 1521 for street use? Thinking about snagging some of those next.

if I'm already exceeding the AX6 then the 1521's aren't going to do me any good, although for a strictly street pad as long as they don't dust and squeal bad they should be good. I don't mind the dust and squeal though, like I said in the past I can control the noise with pedal pressure, but the dust well that is just part of having good pads to me. for track use i'll step up to the XP20's or a race only pad.

01svtL

Established Member
Yea I'm moving to Los Alamos in a few months, so there will be some spirited driving in the hills out there. Other than that, I'm not looking for autocross performance or anything. Quiet and clean would be my preference. As long as they stop better than my base GT brakes I'll be happy.

chao5.0

Established Member
you could go with Hawk pads, personally I hate them but others have had good experience with them as a street pad. the other big things are the SS braided lines and a good fluid so you could just use a DOT 4 fluid, SS braided lines, and a Hawk or 1521 pad compound designed for the street and that should suit you. later on you may want to try out the more aggressive pads but that will be after you try some spirited driving, you may also find out later on you could use a brake cooling kit depending on how much spirited driving your doing or how spirited it becomes.

Voltwings

Established Member
They wont stop any better than your base GT brakes. The only benefit the 14" Brembos offer over the standard GT brakes is more heat retention on a road course, but the clamping force is identical. If you're not running them hard, and don't kid yourself; no amount of "hard" on the street will measure up to a 20-30 minute road course, then they'll offer you no benefit.

I race on my standard GT brakes and i can still kick the ABS on with 295 NT-05s at all 4 corners using the Carbotech XP-10 and Centric premium rotors. This means i still have WAY more brake than i do tire. If the dudes giving them to you then by all means take them, just dont expect a night and day difference. Your pads and tires will matter more than the calipers themselves.

chao5.0

Established Member
They wont stop any better than your base GT brakes. The only benefit the 14" Brembos offer over the standard GT brakes is more heat retention on a road course, but the clamping force is identical. If you're not running them hard, and don't kid yourself; no amount of "hard" on the street will measure up to a 20-30 minute road course, then they'll offer you no benefit.

I race on my standard GT brakes and i can still kick the ABS on with 295 NT-05s at all 4 corners using the Carbotech XP-10 and Centric premium rotors. This means i still have WAY more brake than i do tire. If the dudes giving them to you then by all means take them, just dont expect a night and day difference. Your pads and tires will matter more than the calipers themselves.

we have different braking styles then because my non Brembo brake setup was toast even on street driving when learning thresh hold braking and late braking procedures. true it wasn't as taxing as a road course environment but I still went well beyond what those brakes could handle. with my Brembos I'm still finding the limits when I do my practicing and occasionally during some real hard street driving but its harder to do so, rarely am I getting into the ABS now but that has more to do with my style, but I will say when it does come in I know I've gone in to hot.

Voltwings

Established Member
I think you missed my point. The Brembos will certainly retain more heat, mostly due to the larger rotor, but the physical stopping power between the two will be virtually identical.

I'm by no means preaching the superiority of the stock brakes in regards to the Brembos, i'd love to have Brembos, i'm just saying dont expect a night and day differene in stopping power making that switch.

In regards to your comment though, i do have 3" ducts and DOT4 fluid. Typically i find a lot of times on the street the brakes get dragged, as opposed to the more "on/off" nature of a road course, and dragging creates a TON of heat.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I know my example is slightly different then the one you are considering. I put 2007 GT 500 Brembo's on my wife's 2007 Mustang GT and noticed a big improvement. I will admit I did the brakes and the OEM GT 500 wheels and tires at the same time. I imagine the big improvement was from the entire set up.

chao5.0

Established Member
I think you missed my point. The Brembos will certainly retain more heat, mostly due to the larger rotor, but the physical stopping power between the two will be virtually identical.

I'm by no means preaching the superiority of the stock brakes in regards to the Brembos, i'd love to have Brembos, i'm just saying dont expect a night and day differene in stopping power making that switch.

In regards to your comment though, i do have 3" ducts and DOT4 fluid. Typically i find a lot of times on the street the brakes get dragged, as opposed to the more "on/off" nature of a road course, and dragging creates a TON of heat.

yeah it think that's the difference I hate to drag my brakes because these pads squeal so I'm almost always on/off. I've had to adjust my style since swapping because with the non-Brembos I would drag the brakes and that would destroy the standard brakes setup. I could've upgraded those but I knew where I was going with the car so I just did the swap, even still I can overheat the AX6's because after say 5-6 hard late braking stops they start to smoke and need cool down time. if I go for a real spirited drive on a Sunday morning when I get to a stopping place my brakes are smoking, so soon i'll be upgrading to higher temp pads and doing a cooling kit, I went with the AX6's due to there low temp working heat range and I thought that would be plenty for the street, I didn't take into account that they are still have to stop a heavy car so a higher temp pad is needed if someone is going to really tax these brakes.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
OP, I would see if the bleeder screws are not stripped and not corroded. I installed a used set of gt500 brakes on a buddies car and the bleeder screws were stripped and corodded. I had to uninstall them and reinstall his stock brakes.

01svtL

Established Member
Great, thanks for the heads up!

OP, I would see if the bleeder screws are not stripped and not corroded. I installed a used set of gt500 brakes on a buddies car and the bleeder screws were stripped and corodded. I had to uninstall them and reinstall his stock brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread