shelby Baer SS rear brake upgrade?

einehund

Established Member
That is ALOT of money for just rear brakes... I'm sure someone has done it, but this would be #1,000,000 on my list of things to do to my car; right after mirror polishing the clamps holding the fuel lines underneath the car.

wmfateam

Established Member
It sure makes the car and wheel combo look good. Would I suggest it to someone whos bank account is not 6+ digits, no. But it sure does look nice. Increase in breaking performance? You might be able to feel it after several hot laps.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
No 6 digit+ bank account here, but I do like the look of matching calipers front and rear, especially when viewed through open/thin spoke wheels like Alcoa's, so this was a priority for my car. My heavy nosed GT500 stops well with these. I also upgraded my front Baer Extremes to 15" from the original 14", my car stops very well now, and is now "grabby" at low speed stops.

The rear................

0063_zps058a9b31.jpg

R

Last edited:

dirtychamba

Django
Established Member
No 6 digit+ bank account here, but I do like the look of matching calipers front and rear, especially when viewed through open/thin spoke wheels like Alcoa's, so this was a priority for my car. My heavy nosed GT500 stops well with these. I also upgraded my front Baer Extremes to 15" from the original 14", my car stops very well now, and is now "grabby" at low speed stops.

The rear................

0063_zps058a9b31.jpg

R

That looks badass!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
That looks badass!

^^^^Thanks.

These cars are heavy, all of them, even the aluminum block cars. Any additional braking assistance the rears can give to the fronts when stopping is a plus in my opinion, and if you also get a "better look", that is cool too. Going fast with the right foot pressed is Great fun, but there is also a fun/confidence factor in slowing/stopping fast and securely.

R

Last edited:

Poisonous West

Established Member

The rear................

0063_zps058a9b31.jpg

R

It sure looks good, but I would think a REAR 6-piston caliper is just overkill. Plus for that kind of money (almost $4000), I would use it on some other upgrades.

Since the front brake do ~75 to 80% of the braking. I upgraded my 2011 GT500 with the Baer 14" 2-piece light weight rotor set which comes with everything for $550 (after discount) and an upgrade pads.

The stock 2013-14 rear rotor is only 13.7" vs the Baer 2-piece light weight rotor set is 13.95".

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
It sure looks good, but I would think a REAR 6-piston caliper is just overkill. Plus for that kind of money (almost $4000), I would use it on some other upgrades.

Since the front brake do ~75 to 80% of the braking. I upgraded my 2011 GT500 with the Baer 14" 2-piece light weight rotor set which comes with everything for $550 (after discount) and an upgrade pads.

The stock 2013-14 rear rotor is only 13.7" vs the Baer 2-piece light weight rotor set is 13.95".

I agree with overkill for sure but for matching the front for a great side view of the car, there is nothing else that would match. My car had the 2-pc rear Baer upgrade installed when it went through the Mod Shop, I think it was called Baer Eradispeed? or something like that and used the oem rear calipers, but when Baer came out with the rears Extremes (which were not available in the earlier times), I wanted them. If Shelby would have installed a smaller caliper on the front, it would not have been such a big deal to me, but having a large 6 piston front (in Red), and then having a small Black oem caliper hidden somewhere in there, it look out or proportion from a side view and I wanted it to match.

BTW - The 6 pistons in the rear Baer Extremes are smaller than the 6 pistons in the front Extremes. They are sized accordingly. Yes, the 6 piston caliper mono blocks are the same for a visual appearance, but the rear pistons are sized smaller for their lesser rear brake function. The Extreme brake pads front and rear are the same which is also nice.

As I previously mentioned, I upgraded my original front Baer Extreme rotors from 14" to 15", this gave me a little better braking on the front and the 14" rear Extremes seem to work well with the 15" fronts.

I was reading something about the 2016's..........do they have 16" front rotors? or 15.5"?

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Yesterday I received my Nickel plated Baer Extremes. Shelby has had a Great sale recently on everything and I picked up these Nickel Baer's for $1200 or so, front and rear.

Shown below is the proportional difference in the front and the rear pistons for the stopping power needed front and rear.

Note that it is not just a six piston front caliper bolted on the rear, the pistons are sized accordingly to work together correctly.......Front shown on the bottom.........

007_zps857fc971.jpg

Blue and White lettering is not my color scheme, I am Torch Red and Black, but Blue/White is the only way these Nickels were available from Shelby, so I may do Black lettering with a Red Baer Claw?...........not sure yet? Finding the front and rear Nickels was the goal, supposedly Shelby 6S Nickels are no longer available? They will look Great behind a dark Alcoa wheel combo.

**Also notice that the pistons are progressive in size with the rotation of the rotor, it is not 6 pistons of the same size in the Baer's.

A closer view.........

008_zps637fe67d.jpg

R

Last edited:

BilletProShop

Established Member
Yesterday I received my Nickel plated Baer Extremes. Shelby has had a Great sale recently on everything and I picked up these Nickel Baer's for $1200 or so, front and rear.

Shown below is the proportional difference in the front and the rear pistons for the stopping power needed front and rear.

Note that it is not just a six piston front caliper bolted on the rear, the pistons are sized accordingly to work together correctly.......Front shown on the bottom.........

007_zps857fc971.jpg

Blue and White lettering is not my color scheme, I am Torch Red and Black, but Blue/White is the only way these Nickels were available from Shelby, so I may do Black lettering with a Red Baer Claw?...........not sure yet? Finding the front and rear Nickels was the goal, supposedly Shelby 6S Nickels are no longer available? They will look Great behind a dark Alcoa wheel combo.

**Also notice that the pistons are progressive in size with the rotation of the rotor, it is not 6 pistons of the same size in the Baer's.

A closer view.........

008_zps637fe67d.jpg

R

so your the one i was bidding against....lol
i recently picked 2 complete sets of these , Shelby had some really good deals
would you need the front brackets, i have a couple of extras

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
so your the one i was bidding against....lol
i recently picked 2 complete sets of these , Shelby had some really good deals
would you need the front brackets, i have a couple of extras

Actually I told Tom at Shelby to keep the brackets since I already have Extremes front and rear, and put them with other loose Baer's that he was going to sell. The spare brackets that you have should be a quick sell on eBay for someone who is piecing a set of Baer's together.

The brake pads are interchangeable front and rear and are approx. $170 retail though Baer. If at all possible, get pads with the calipers to save some additional $$$, but there are also lesser priced pad options.

I have a lengthy story on how I finally got 4 Baer nickel calipers (2 front, 2 rear) from Shelby, I'll give the short of it. The nickel auctions from a couple of months ago?.............the one with two rebuildable fronts and two new rears?....................The rears ended up being fronts and I was notified before they were shipped that I could get a refund, problem is, I didn't need the fronts if I couldn't get matching nickel rears................and the story winds down a journey from that point. In the beginning I was on a path of buying two mismatched powder coat rears (which I had here at the house for a while) from Shelby and sending them to Baer to be stripped and nickeled for approx. $350pr................but by the time it all was done, Tom at Shelby came through with the nickels I needed to complete the set.

One thing that I was told by my contact at Baer..............the hand applied lettering that they use on calipers does not attach well to the nickel surface, so be aware of that. I had one nickel caliper here from Shelby, some of the SHELBY blue letters were laying in the box along with the S from 6S and one white claw. <<That caliper was sent back because it was of the earlier Baer design and did not exactly match the other front. I have learned much about Baer Extremes and their design changes, nickel finish changes etc. over the past 4-5 years and now finally have a full set of matching SHELBY 6S nickels................<<<That was the goal!! I also now know what it costs to strip and refinish Baer Extremes and what the rebuild charges are. Again, thankfully I was able to get a full set of nickels, and the rebuild of two fronts. <<This is a Merry Christmas to me! I have been working on this for at least two months with Shelby and Baer.......

R

Last edited:

Tmatt142

Established Member
Damn Robert...That's going above and beyond! They look great and will look even better on the SS!

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Damn Robert...That's going above and beyond! They look great and will look even better on the SS!

The nice thing about the nickel plated calipers..............they do not get damaged by brake fluid if it is spilled on the surface, or if there is an undetected leak (bleeder screws etc.) Powder coat will quickly bubble and deteriorate when in contact with brake fluid (except if it is silicone DOT5, but DOT5 is not recommended for ABS systems), nickel plate will not deteriorate when in contact with DOT3 or 4 fluid.

R

Last edited:

Stetler17

Established Member
I passed on these from Shelby because they are missing the parking brake...Are you guys installing them and just leaving the park brake off, or is it not that expensive to purchase the remaining parts from Baer?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I passed on these from Shelby because they are missing the parking brake...Are you guys installing them and just leaving the park brake off, or is it not that expensive to purchase the remaining parts from Baer?

I already have the full Extreme set up on my car so all I needed is calipers when I decide to swap them, probably at the next brake system flush. I have seen the brackets and e-brake parts for sale on eBay from time to time.

I would guess that Baer would sell the parts you need as replacement parts?

R

Users who are viewing this thread