Shelby alternator

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
My SPP alternator came in yesterday thought you might like to see it

th_IMAG0426.jpg

I thought it was interesting that it comes with a 2 3/4" pulley when the stocker is 2 1/2". Which is nice to slow down the alternator for less drag and easier on it at higher revs.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
thats pretty cool. I'm looking forward to some installed pics

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Question is, who made the alternator for Shelby?

And aren't the alternators on these cars self exciting, kicking in and starting to charge the battery at ~1,500 rpm's? The larger pulley would mean if you didn't blip the throttle past whatever the new rpm is that your battery won't be charging after startup - while sitting (until rpm's go past the new excitation point).

slocum1946

singularity
Established Member
I went with PA Performance hipo alt---larger pulley to accommodate the higher RPMS my built engine is capable of...

photolkjlkjl.jpg

CPRsm

I went with PA Performance hipo alt---larger pulley to accommodate the higher RPMS my built engine is capable of...
Yeah, that's always the tough trade off. Upper rpm capable, or low speed charging with potential heat problems from slow spinning cooling fan.

bossnova3

Established Member
Well tommorrow I'll change my 2nd alternator in less than 1 year, both "fried" I'm guessing that having the bigger lower pulley is the coreporate. I'll address the issue tomorrow after the swap...

Ed

CPRsm

^^ Possibly. You take the crank pulley and divide by alt pulley size and multiply by max rpm. That shaft speed will give you an idea if it's coming apart. Usually 16-18k is the limit depending on manufacturer. You can push it farther. But it's a matter of time. Centrifugal force will tear it apart.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I thought it was the really cheap internal copper piece that failed on the GT500 and Term? There was a write up on replacing that several months ago. I need to order one of these to have on hand since my stocker went out at about 6500 miles and left me stranded. Thanks Ford.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
My SPP alternator came in yesterday thought you might like to see it

th_IMAG0426.jpg

I thought it was interesting that it comes with a 2 3/4" pulley when the stocker is 2 1/2". Which is nice to slow down the alternator for less drag and easier on it at higher revs.

What is the difference (besides amps) in the other Shelby alt. that is available through SPP? I think it costs, like $150 more than the 80/160 shown above.

R

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
What is the difference (besides amps) in the other Shelby alt. that is available through SPP? I think it costs, like $150 more than the 80/160 shown above.

R

It also comes with a new power cord other than that its the same.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
It also comes with a new power cord other than that its the same.

It is 100/200 also, instead of 80/160, but why are these big amp. alts. needed? I have not followed the threads related to alt. issues.

In the old days the cars with the bigger rearend gears, drag pack cars etc. got the bigger diameter alt. pulley from the factory.

I've been thinking about picking one of these alts up, just because they look cool, but other than looking cool, what benefit is it to my OEM GT500 electrical system? :shrug:

R

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If you add any aftermarket stereo equipment or other components that can possibly strain the stocker, you need the higher amp alt. Depends on the additional load.

It's interesting Shelby won't offer this powdercoated but PA Performance will. I'd prefer one in satin black...may just paint it myself.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
We've had multiple passes at 195+ MPH and a couple at 200+ MPH tach'd up to 7,000 RPM

Still using the same alternator from PA Performance.

Van

No failures yet? Also are you using a bigger pulley than stock alts. An how is the power at idle?

Users who are viewing this thread