Shelby 8" Subs and Amp - Anyone got experience?

Doc Vegas

Established Member
I already replaced my speakers and it was a great upgrade, but now, the passenger side front is cutting in and out. I am hoping it is a lose wire. Any ideas?

While I have the door panel off (again), I was thinking of adding the Shelby 8" sub replacements. Anyone done this?

I also saw they sell a 4x 43w amplifier, but it looks really complicated to install, anyone try this one too?

Thanks!

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I've been "eyeing" that Shelby/Kicker amp for some time; but its hard for me to "swallow" the $500 cost for what little it does over the oem amp rating other than the "plug & play" capability....

They never offer any "discounts" or "sales"; unless I missed one..... Except for a "free" install promo @ authorized Shelby Aftermarket Centers a couple of years ago....

But yeah, I upgraded all 6 speakers too and yes there is an improvement in sound quality..... You can definitely tell the difference in signal quality when changing sources thru the Shaker Head-unit [USB/CD/Sirius-XM/FM-radio]

.................................................................................................................................................

Using Infiniti Kappa 6x8's & Rockford-Fosgate shallow 8" subs [w/ spacer-rings] though...

Last edited:

jfried

Established Member
I ordered the shelby subs, and while I haven't wired the whole thing up and given it a test run, I can say that the installation was extremely easy. I'm no audio expert, so I wasn't really prepared to be building custom spacers or figuring out how to get a new sub securely mounted in the door, and this kit is as close to "plug & play" as it comes!

The one piece of negative feedback I have -- the grills that come with it, while do a good job of looking reasonably close to factory, are pretty flimsy.

What I've also heard, is that these subs only offer a marginal improvement with the factory shaker amps, but if given more power, make a substantial difference. As a result, I'm going straight to an aftermarket amp feeding these directly.

Last edited:

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.  I think I will leave it alone for now. BTW, in case it helps someone who finds this thread later, the gremlin in my system was for sure the adapter that went from the factory wiring to the speaker. I cannot even remember where I got those adapters, maybe eBay, but the "socket" that goes directly onto the speaker "tab" was loose.   I pulled everything apart and use a little dielectric grease (good idea????) and smashed the female end on the adapter a bit to make it tight. Works fine so far!

Users who are viewing this thread