Shaved Intake Lid

NOVA98Cobra

Street Defiers
Established Member
Hey guys, I took a break from SVTP for a hot minute but I'm back with new energy. I decided to try my hand at making a shaved intake lid just for fun. I have an 04 motor now and found an intake lid laying around so i figured wtf I'll try it. Anyway this has taken a good deal of time (especially for something I can't use) but it's comming along. What do you guys think of it so far/ would there be any interest in these if I get better at making ]them?
IMG_1523.JPG
IMG_1525.JPG
IMG_1526.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1524.JPG
    IMG_1524.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 226

NOVA98Cobra

Street Defiers
Established Member
I spent like 8 hours on it so far. Do you think I should shave off the cobra plaque part and all those raised lines on the top or leave it and put on a new cobra after powder coat?

Clayton351

Established Member
Leave the cobra. Ive been tempted toshave one for mine but I want to shave the egr, hide the iac and make Iit a front mount throttle body

96S/Cobra

Established Member
Great job op. Now powdercoat it and it will be awesome. I say leave the raised ribs and put on a new cobra plaque. Here are a few picks of mine I had done several years back. And as far as the cobra plaque, I bought a new one and painted it black. Then I took a piece of fine grit sand paper and wrapped it around a small block of wood (to keep it perfectly flat) just to take the paint back off the "raised" portion so the snake would stand out.

P7310050.jpg

P8150090.jpg

P1150058.jpg

NOVA98Cobra

Street Defiers
Established Member
Looks great! Thank you for sharing! Can you give me any pointers on how to get it nice and professionally smooth? I'm about done with all the cutting, welding, and rough grinding. Any advice on the final steps would be greatly appreciated!

96S/Cobra

Established Member
Looks great! Thank you for sharing! Can you give me any pointers on how to get it nice and professionally smooth? I'm about done with all the cutting, welding, and rough grinding. Any advice on the final steps would be greatly appreciated!

As you see in the first pic, this was after I had cut off the EGR and vacuum port, ground down the bulk of what was remaining with a carbide bit, then smoothed it out with a small 2" or so pneumatic die grinding wheel. I then had a friend weld up the two holes (I don't have the equipment or knowledge to weld aluminum) and then finished it off with a much less abrasive die grinding wheel. That was all I had done really. But as you can see, the powdercoat I had picked out is more of a "textured" coating, not just a smooth glossy powdercoat, so I don't know if that would make any difference visually when it's all done. But as you can see in the third pic, the intake looks factory and you can not tell anything was ever there to begin with.

NOVA98Cobra

Street Defiers
Established Member
That's sexy^ if it was for my car I would do that and relocate the IAC, but his is just a side project I'll probably sell and keeping the stock IAC location probably makes install easiest for the most people.

Users who are viewing this thread