Shaking/Vibrating Issues

liquidfender

Established Member
I have an 01 Cobra with about 50k miles on it. Over the past 5-7k miles or so the car has began vibrating/shaking more and more. At idle, there is a constant vibration felt inside the car and I can watch the engine shaking with the hood popped. When I rev it just a little bit, it smooths out for a bit. At high rpms while accelerating, say 4500+ the vibrations/shaking get a lot worse. The oil level is perfect, no burning or any strange smells/smoke.

The car also pulls hard in gear from roughly 1500-4500 then it feels like its bogging down and it vibrates shakes through the shifter tremendously. I have exhausted the internet as far as searching goes. I ordered a new set of COPs, hoping it will smooth things out as I have the originals still.

The car is bone stock minus the clutch. The previous owner installed a Spec stage 2 clutch in anticipation of more power. I don't know what he did flywheel wise. I know the clutch needs to be replaced as it slips quite a bit. I'll be cruising in 4th/5th and i'll mash the throttle and get almost no response. Sometimes the RPMs will rise and whenever it grabs, the car slowly starts accelerating. The car has pretty much no power at cruising speeds without downshifting.

As I said earlier, the engine shakes noticeably. I also looked at the clutch through the small area where the cable connects at the bellhousing and it seems as though its wobbling a bit. Could this be a flywheel issue?

Sorry about all the questions, but i'm getting pretty frustrated with the car. I was preparing to order an 03/04 clutch kit/flywheel tomorrow, but figured I should get some advice before I do so.

Thanks in advance!

Bite Me

Established Member
I think you have more than just a clutch problem man. If you have no power at cruising speeds something isnt right. Granted, these cars arent the kind where you can just stomp on the gas in any gear and take off. If your hanging in 5th gear at lower speeds its not going to have power. I just cant say if its normal without being in it.

As for the shaking, sounds more like a motor mount/fuel/timing issue rather than COP's. Those things dont usually go bad, although they do tend to get weaker as time goes by.

Now, on to what my theory would be.....if your motor mounts are trashed (can watch the motor move while in the car, and lots of vibration), its possible the knock sensors are seeing that and that is whats causing your hesitation and power loss. I have heard of that before on this forum. Something to check out.

Whats the history on the car? Diff cams? Any work done? Have you pulled some spark plugs and checked them out? Lots of things to check to narrow it down.

fastback brian

Established Member
Could be the clutch coming apart....That really sounds like a missfire....I would check compression if you get a chance.. You can always tell engine compression just by cranking, it should crank smooth, no high spots or uneven sound..COP are know to go out in the 4v's, not so much cobras but still, they get old and break down...

SVECobraR

Established Member
50k miles on a stock 01 cobra and it needs a third clutch? Either that car was modded before, he beat the piss out of it, or he didn't know how to drive.

liquidfender

Established Member
The car's power is fine in first through third gears through majority of the RPM range. The car does not throw any CELs and has no history of codes, I have a scanner. I've read, on this forum and others, about owners having similar misfire symptoms with bad COPs and also a warped/bad flywheel. I can pretty much not get the car into gear in first or reverse while completely stopped. Or downshift without rev-matching. I can slip it into first gear when coming to a stop, but the clutch never fully disengages even with the pedal to the floor. I've replaced the cable, from a steeda adjustable to an OEM, and the problem still exists. Again, no codes, no burning oil, no strange smells.

Thank you for all the input thus far!

fastback brian

Established Member
sound like two separate issues.. But if you have a new clutch kit, go with that first... a warped flywheel will give it a chatter on take offs not a vibration at idle...for a pretty much most after market clutches the car will need an solid double hook quad and fire wall adjuster.. the Ford racing stuff is real nice, but a stock clutch from a 03-04 cobra wont need it.....

bsmith782

RANDY WATSON!
Established Member
If you want to check the COP's take one off at a time and drive around untill you get the same response as when there all plugged in.

Most of the time you dont even need to drive it but just rev it and watch and listen to the engine.

liquidfender

Established Member
If you want to check the COP's take one off at a time and drive around untill you get the same response as when there all plugged in.

I just went ahead and ordered a new set from a forum member. I've heard of quite a few gremlins involving COPs on many different types of cars. I know mine are original, so 50k miles and 10 years I figured it couldn't hurt anything.

The car is smooth as can be at the majority of the RPM range. Its just the low RPMs and the higher end.

I'm beginning to think its something small, possibly a fuel filter. Its just hard to get time to get my hands dirty.

Users who are viewing this thread