Shaker 500 Speaker Replacement Question

rancid

Established Member
Hey guys,

I am working on putting together my list of parts to upgrade the Shaker 500 system in my Shelby and saw that Ford mentions the car has 6 speakers total with 2 subwoofers. Does anyone know where the factory 8" subwoofers are mounted? I seem to be getting conflicting info that the 8" subs are behind the door panel with the tweeter and it is setup as how a component set would be, is this correct?

If you go with an aftermarket component set did you have to mount the tweeters behind the door grill or did you move them up so they are higher and more ear-level? This is what I'd like to do if it is possible. For those that have upgraded did you remove the factory 8" sub and just stick in a normal 5x7 with a spacer adapter or is there a way to retain the 8" sub and still go with a component aftermarket set?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Added 2 pair of 5x7 Polk full range speakers from Crutchfield. System plays louder, cleaner, and has more mid-bass. Next up would be a 4 way Amp, maybe... The woofers are last as I've heard they have to be re-mounted . Click on Crutchfield, add in your car and get lots of choices that fit, or can be made to fit.... I bought the Polk's from them on sale, and had them installed locally... 4 speakers installed, all in, $250.00... Well worth it..

Last edited:

shelbysvt

Established Member
4 speakers? So did you replace the 2 speakers on each side of the front doors and leave the rear subwoofers alone?

rancid

Established Member
4 speakers? So did you replace the 2 speakers on each side of the front doors and leave the rear subwoofers alone?

See this is where it gets confusing.. I think the factory speakers are a hybrid component set - an 8" woofer with a seperate tweeter mounted in this plastic plate. I am wondering if you can remove that entire plate and put in a set of 5x7's (I know you can with adapters) but what does that do with the factory 8"'s that were in the door? I am mainly confused if the 8" subwoofer is in the same door plate as the tweeter or if they are entirely seperate.

shelbysvt

Established Member
See this is where it gets confusing.. I think the factory speakers are a hybrid component set - an 8" woofer with a seperate tweeter mounted in this plastic plate. I am wondering if you can remove that entire plate and put in a set of 5x7's (I know you can with adapters) but what does that do with the factory 8"'s that were in the door? I am mainly confused if the 8" subwoofer is in the same door plate as the tweeter or if they are entirely seperate.

Now you got me confused as well lol.

I'm just wondering what size speakers would I need to just do a direct swap.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Fellas, easy, a pair of 5x7 or 6x8 in the front doors, there are no factory tweeters there... A pair of the same speakers in the rear... Both sets are direct replacements for the factory speakers... 4 speakers taken out, 4 new ones installed, easy peasy.... Click around Crutchfield, and or call them, good info. there... I was told to do it in this order:
1. 4 full range speakers, direct replacement. Component speakers can be made to fit
2. Add a 4 way Amp for them
3. Powered Sub in the trunk
4. Replace the lower separate Door Subs in the front doors.... The replacements are different impedance, Kicker may have a direct replacement.. They have a full speaker set thru Shelby, you can check out

Last edited:

shelbysvt

Established Member
Fellas, easy, a pair of 5x7- 6x8 in the front doors, there are no factory tweeters there... A pair of the same speakers in the rear... Both sets are direct replacements for the factory speakers... 4 speakers taken out, 4 new ones installed, easy peasy.... Click around Crutchfield, and or call them, good info. there... I'm told to do it in this order:
1. 4 full range speakers, direct replacement. Component speakers can be made to fit
2. Add a 4 way Amp for them
3. Powered Sub in the trunk
4. Replace the lower separate Door Subs in the front doors.... The replacements are different impedance, Kicker may have a direct replacement.. They have a full speaker set thru Shelby, you can check out

So then the top speakers in the front doors are 5x7 and the bottom big ones are 6x8. The bottom speakers on the front doors are subs? I thought the rear speakers were subs?

I'm wondering what would I need to do to replace all speakers on the inside with better ones that are a direct replacement. I don't want to add a sub in the trunk though.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
EITHER 5X7 OR 6X8's will replace the factory speakers in both doors and back panel, Coupe or Vert. I did EXACTLY what your second paragraph says...5x7 or 6x8'S are DIRECT FACTORY REPLACEMENTS. Please go over to Crutchfield to get a great understanding. The "bottom" speakers are the "woofers", consider replacing them last, for the reasons listed above. Good luck, lots of good options available....

rancid

Established Member
EITHER 5X7 OR 6X8's will replace the factory speakers in both doors and back panel, Coupe or Vert. I did EXACTLY what your second paragraph says...5x7 or 6x8'S are DIRECT FACTORY REPLACEMENTS. Please go over to Crutchfield to get a great understanding. The "bottom" speakers are the "woofers", consider replacing them last, for the reasons listed above. Good luck, lots of good options available....

Thanks Ray, this cleared up my confusion and I am on track. I will order 2 sets of 5x7 components, 2 8" kicker woofers from Shelby, a 4-way amp, and the JL Audio CleanSweep equipment. I am not going to add a sub just yet but plan on running the wires for it and installing a lockpic while I'm at it. By running the speakers to a seperate amp did it mess with SYNC or the factory NAV speech by chance?

Thanks again! :rockon:

Last edited:

shelbysvt

Established Member

Thanks!

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Polk DXI 570 Speakers, and I like them.. I don't have the factory Nav. Good luck guys. Crutch. seems to put the Polk's on sale regularly

rancid

Established Member
Thanks again guys.

One more question - Did you have to use speaker adapter plates to install the door speakers? I read on the GT Premium model (which has the Shaker 500) that people needed adapter plates from a 2010-2011 in order to make aftermarket speakers fit. Is this true or no?

I really would like to buy traditional speaker adapter plates to go from a 5x7/6x8 speaker to a 6 1/2" if at all possible but not sure it will work if the other Ford adapter plate is needed already.

Hab - Kind of funny but the speakers you went with are what I've decided on as well after a good bit of research ;-)

Last edited:

Habbro

Noob
Established Member
Here are the original speakers:

Front door behind grill near door handle (this counts as 2 speakers)

jp3.jpg

front

jp2.jpg

back

Rear seat speakers:

jp4.jpg

front

jp1.jpg

front with flash

jp5.jpg

rear

Hope this helps to see what "premium" speakers these are.

rancid

Established Member
Wow, horrible.. I feel bad for people that got the "upgrade" package in these cars.

Thanks for the pics, definitely helps. I am going to try and retrofit a pair of 6 1/2"'s in the holes so I will let everyone know how they turn out.

Users who are viewing this thread