shaft rubbing on headers, need advice

Richter888

Established Member
As it says.

Car is 2001 cobra. I just got done installing MM K-member, control arms, oil filter relocation kit, new header gaskets, steering rack bushings, and my soul into the car.

Now the final issue is... What should I do? Its not rubbing super bad, but the rubber portion is touching slightly. I would hate to have to beat up the header. I do have a flaming river solid steering shaft, but it might not clear. The stupid stop screws and nuts stick out quite a bit.

IMAG0117.jpg

Flaming river shaft

IMAG0118.jpg

tistan

Established Member
Are your steering rack bushings offset? Maybe you could lower or raise the rack for more clearance.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
I would try to shift the motor first if possible. Sounds like you already had the headers in and they cleared so you must have altered the position of either the motor or steering shaft or both.

Last edited:

Richter888

Established Member
I did shift the motor as much as I could, but I cant get more out of it. Each time I adjust it moves back into its position as if spring loaded. Plus the locator tab on the driver side is pretty much maxed in the up position.

The only thing changed from the last setup it the MM kmember. I think it leaves the engine slightly lower. It BARELY rubs, which is super annoying.

Richter888

Established Member
Pacesetter longtubes, with ceramic coatings. I hate them. Super huge PIA to install. I decided not to buy another set because I figure I already wasted the time putting them in before. I made my grave and now I must lay in it.

JoNasty

Established Member
If its just a set of pacesetter l/t's grab a ball peen hammer and give it a few whacks. Doesn't take much. You're not going to notice any difference what so ever.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Have you contacted MM yet? They may have seen this issue before and possibly a quick work-around for it.

Users who are viewing this thread