Shacke install troubles

txyaloo

Established Member
Shackle install troubles

I'm replacing my beltec 2" shackles with a set from JLP, but for the life of me can't get the bottom bolt out of the drivers side. Passenger side went fine. I know the suspension is unloaded because the top bolt just slides in and out. I ended up taking the hitch off so I could get a few good hits in with a hammer, and it didn't move.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

LightningEd

Established Member
Could be bound up. Try an impact hammer or heat. Other than that, some rust buster, a hammer, and a drift.

txyaloo

Established Member
Could be bound up. Try an impact hammer or heat. Other than that, some rust buster, a hammer, and a drift.

I was thinking along the same lines. That the bolt had bound or fused into the bushings. It's been soaking in wd40 for 2 days. Unfortunately, I left my PB Blaster at the house. Impact hammer didn't budge it, nor did my repeated beating of the bolt with a 5lb sledge. My torch is also at home, so I tried a heat gun. That didn't seem to make a difference. I guess some PB Blaster and a torch is the next step.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
PB Blaster will work a nun loose.
however ive never seen this happen sorry bro i got nothing :(
well other than supporting the shackle on one side and using a block of wood and a hammer on the threaded end of the bolt...thats all i can think of :(

txyaloo

Established Member
have you tried just "unscrewing" it. A lot of the time it will thread out

That I did. I threw my breaker bar at it. The bolt just spins and spins but never freaking moves. I even hit it with an impact and air hammer.

PB Blaster will work a nun loose.
however ive never seen this happen sorry bro i got nothing :(
well other than supporting the shackle on one side and using a block of wood and a hammer on the threaded end of the bolt...thats all i can think of :(

I'm going to hit it with PB Blaster and my torch in the morning. I don't think the block of wood thing will work. I banged the tar out of it with a 5lb sledge, and it didn't move at all, but all my banging crushed the thread at the end of the bolt and I can't put the nut back on. Since I have to get a new bolt from Ford anyway, I think I might cut off the bolt head/end and just lift the shackle out.

flip_86

Established Member
i've seen this many of times in my 4 years in a suspention shop, the bolts get siezed in the metal sleeve in the bushing, if it doesn't spin with an impact gun the only option is to heat the bolt and try to spin it again, somtimes its enough to free it up, otherwise you'll be looking at getting the spring rebushed, not all that expensive, just time consuming.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
That I did. I threw my breaker bar at it. The bolt just spins and spins but never freaking moves. I even hit it with an impact and air hammer.

I'm going to hit it with PB Blaster and my torch in the morning. I don't think the block of wood thing will work. I banged the tar out of it with a 5lb sledge, and it didn't move at all, but all my banging crushed the thread at the end of the bolt and I can't put the nut back on. Since I have to get a new bolt from Ford anyway, I think I might cut off the bolt head/end and just lift the shackle out.

if you are getting a new one screw it...cut it off :p

txyaloo

Established Member
i've seen this many of times in my 4 years in a suspention shop, the bolts get siezed in the metal sleeve in the bushing, if it doesn't spin with an impact gun the only option is to heat the bolt and try to spin it again, somtimes its enough to free it up, otherwise you'll be looking at getting the spring rebushed, not all that expensive, just time consuming.

It's not the bolt that connects to the spring. That one moves fine. It's the lower bolt that connects the shackle to the frame mount. It does spin if I crank on it with a 2' breaker bar. It didn't really spin with the impact.

Whoever owned the truck before me installed these shackles which means I have no clue how they did it. They're also installed wrong to drop the suspension. They're installed on the bottom instead of the top hole. I think I'm going to torch/melt the bushing out and see what that does.

Users who are viewing this thread