Settle a friendly debate for me

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
The other night I stopped at a friends house for dinner, I was driving my 98 Ranger standard cab.

My buddy wanted me to take home some leftover (12 left in a 24-pack case) beer from the previous day.

I told him that since it was raining, I'd rather wait. He said that I should be able to put it in the passenger seat and be fine. I told him that I was pretty sure the alcohol had to be out of the driver's reach.

My question: who was right? I was always taught that if you have alcohol *opened or not* that it had to be well out of the driver's reach. (i.e. truck bed or trunk of a car.)

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If the alcohol is still sealed it can be in the passenger compartment. It can be on the seat next to you.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
The other night I stopped at a friends house for dinner, I was driving my 98 Ranger standard cab.

My buddy wanted me to take home some leftover (12 left in a 24-pack case) beer from the previous day.

I told him that since it was raining, I'd rather wait. He said that I should be able to put it in the passenger seat and be fine. I told him that I was pretty sure the alcohol had to be out of the driver's reach.

My question: who was right? I was always taught that if you have alcohol *opened or not* that it had to be well out of the driver's reach. (i.e. truck bed or trunk of a car.)

Are you telling me that you believe people who only have two seaters, with no room in the trunk/bed, aren't allowed to buy drinks to take home?

johnwynn

Established Member
So for clarifaction for me. I can take a six pack to a friends house and bring 4 home and since the bottles are sealed no issues? But if i have the top popped on one it is time to face the consquences?

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Id bet most states are like NC.As log as the seal is NOT broken,then you can have alcohol anywhere in the car.Thats IF everyone in the car is of age.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
FC (Ford Country) :lol1:

Then that explains his answer because a broken up case is 4 six packs, thus using that logic it is an open container. The open container law refers to the fact that the alcohol is able to be consumed not that the packaging is disturbed.

Sandgnat

Established Member
Then that explains his answer because a broken up case is 4 six packs, thus using that logic it is an open container. The open container law refers to the fact that the alcohol is able to be consumed not that the packaging is disturbed.

Is this interpretation unique to a certain area in one state or something that applies everywhere? For example, if I go to the store and pick up a case of canned beer and as is often the situation, there is a torn portion of the packaging from handling and I could remove a single can through the hole, would this be considered an open container if it is in reach?

musclefan21

Established Member
Is this interpretation unique to a certain area in one state or something that applies everywhere? For example, if I go to the store and pick up a case of canned beer and as is often the situation, there is a torn portion of the packaging from handling and I could remove a single can through the hole, would this be considered an open container if it is in reach?

read this again, It is pretty clear:

The open container law refers to the fact that the alcohol is able to be consumed not that the packaging is disturbed.

WVFord

Established Member
So for clarifaction for me. I can take a six pack to a friends house and bring 4 home and since the bottles are sealed no issues? But if i have the top popped on one it is time to face the consquences?

I was replying to the question asked about the top popped.

Last edited:

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
If the alcohol is still sealed it can be in the passenger compartment. It can be on the seat next to you.

Thank you, a cut and dry answer!:rockon: I had just heard otherwise, thanks for the clarification.

Are you telling me that you believe people who only have two seaters, with no room in the trunk/bed, aren't allowed to buy drinks to take home?

Are you telling me you completely missed the question at hand, opting to make a completely useless jab in an attempt to belittle me? I was asking for clarification on a question, not to be made fun of.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread