SES light after cleaning my air filter?

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
Update 1: My truck spent a few hours at the dealership and then they called me and told me they couldn't read the computer. I can read it fine now with my predator but I have yet to find the problem that triggers the P0171 & P0174 codes. I used the data log on the predator and 02S11 & 02S21 bounce between .07V - .72V at idle and the rear two are turned off in the tune I believe (02S12 & 02S22 both read 0.0V constant). Is there something else I should be looking at to help me pin point what may be causing the truck to throw these codes? This is not how I wanted to spend my weekend...

Short story: Will K&N filter oil cause my MAF to throw a SES in the form of “Bank 1 Lean”? If so, how do you go about cleaning the MAF?

Long Story: Spring cleaning got the better of me and I cleaned my air filter and re-oiled it (K&N type of filter). After I let it dry (or so I thought) and put everything back together. I go to work and on the way home my SES light turns on. When I get home I run the codes on my Predator and come up with a Bank 1 Lean (P0171 I think). I figure I knocked a vacuum line loose or something to that extent. I checked all of the lines leading to and from the intake and everything looked good. I took the intake off and evidently I didn’t let it dry enough because there was red K&N oil over the inside of the tube. I clean it all out and let it set out over night to dry…
The next morning clear the code and take off for work and again on the way back my SES light comes on again. This time I run the codes and it is telling me both banks are running lean. I clean the intake again, let it dry outside some more, clear the codes and drive around to see if the SES light will come on again. It finally did after about 30 miles of driving (it was a nice day). This time I ran the codes and the Predator said “No Trouble Codes Found”… Any ideas on how to clear this?
I used the search and the only thing I found was talking about a hose that goes to that back on the intercooler that I can’t get to or swapping the O2 sensors. I can get to the driver’s side sensor, but have no idea how to get the passenger’s side out.

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
No idea, but if you had that much oil up the tube, I'd pick yourself up a can of MAF cleaner (yes, there's a specific cleaner made for it, don't use carburetor cleaner), clean it, and see if it fixes it. BTW, how'd you get that much oil up there? I've oiled filters before and never had any kind of deposit like that.

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
A friend of mine actually put the oil on the filter. I wasn't paying attention to him when he was doing it so I'm guessing he went overboard on it.

01lghtng

Established Member
Yeah I would try cleaning the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner, if that doesn't work u might need to replace it. I've heard of too much oil damaging the sensor and they are not cheap either. Also I had that same code awhile back and it turned out to be An exhaust leak near my o2 sensor, check for that also.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
one of two things...over oiled the filter and now its screwing with the MAF or you got a vac leak. that small "middle" vac line under the elbow used to always come off on mine till i fixed it.

now pull your MAF and hit the sensor with some 99% rubbing alcohol or MAF cleaner and blast the oil off/outta it and retry.

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
Thanks for the info about there being a specific MAF cleaner... that probably saved me some money.
So the MAF sensor is now clean, I can’t find any vacuum leaks, the SES light is back on and now the Predator can't find any trouble codes. I realize that it may not be the most sophisticated piece of diagnostic equipment, but WTF?
Do I need to take it to the Dealership to find out what code it is throwing now? Can they even read it since it has a custom tune?

03CaLi_BoLt

SicK@SVT
Established Member
MaF

I have actually heard this happining a couple times of people over oiling the filterand it turning there light on but they clean the maf with the cleaner and it goes away

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
Still couldn't get the Predator to pull the SES code, so I just cleared it. It has been a day of driving (25~30 miles) and the light hasn't come back on yet, so hopefully it won't (knock on wood).

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
Still not working, but I can read the codes with the predator now. I updated the original post, but so far I have checked for vac leakes, replaced the fuel filter and pvc valve, cleaned the EGR and checked the gass cap.

Any ideas?

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
I didn't try the method you have there, but I did log it using the predator and it seens to be working.

at idle:
MAF GM/S = ~526
MAF_V = ~ 165

at 2500 RPM
MAF GM/S = ~1800
MAF_v = ~300

at 4000 RPM
MAF GM/S = ~4600
MAF_v = ~415

04mellowyellow

Ford Nut
Established Member
Do you have anything plugged into the PCM, PCM code reader port, or any gauge spliced into one of your PCM wires (example air/fuel gauge)?

J-Rod76

2001 Lightning
Established Member
Do you have anything plugged into the PCM, PCM code reader port, or any gauge spliced into one of your PCM wires (example air/fuel gauge)?

Nothing is spliced in. I had a narrowband Air/Fuel gauge (complete waste of money) that was tied into the driver's side upstream O2 sensor, but I have since removed it and the "pigtail" that it was attached to.

i changed the first o2 sensor on the driver side and it made my codes go away...

I may try replacing that tomorrow. The passenger side looks like it will be a PITA.

Users who are viewing this thread