ses - bank 1 lean - after bassani and upr cai install

boston_cobra

Established Member
I installed my catted bassani x-pipe and cat-back and my upr cai this weekend. First after the install I forgot to reinstall the o2 sensors... yes I know very stupid. I drove the car about a total of 1 mile with them out and the ses light came on. So I inplugged the battery and installed the sensors. Replugged in the battery and drove about 30 miles with no ses light.

The next day I started up the car and drove about 1/2 mile and the ses light came back on. So today I went to autozone checked the codes and it read too lean.

So I checked the archives and it seems to say that too lean is from the cai. Is this a false reading or is the car is really running too lean? Should I remove the cai and through it away? The car also started to idle rough today, no stall yet but I though it might a couple of times, again an problem with the cai? I've had no idle issues until today.

I'm really leaning towards repacing the upr cai with a bendless one.

Any advise???

larryc7777

Established Member
Before spending bucks on a CAI, check for an exhaust leak ahead of the O2 sensors. Air entering the exhaust from a leak will cause a false lean reading from the O2 sensors. Just a thought.

03DOHC

Established Member
If my memory is correct, the rear O2 sensors are side specific. Not sure of what code you'll get if they're switched though.

boston_cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the replys. I double checked the o2 sensors before I replaced them so I'm pretty sure they are in the right places.

I drove a couple of miles last night and then 40 miles this morning and the light is still off. So I hope it will just stay off.

Is there an easy way to check for an exaust leak? I'm pretty certain I don't have one but just to be sure.

When removing my old x-pipe one of the studs came out of the drivers side header. I just replaced it with a slightly smaller bolt that would pass through the threads on the header. I don't think is leaking though.

Users who are viewing this thread