Service time...need info & suggestions

Mystic 544

Established Member
My 03 SVT Focus is having some of the "common issues" I have been reading a little about. I don't have a good knowlegde base on what all I should have taken care...so let me know what I should be pointing out to the tec and what TSB's to reference.
She is a 2003 build date 5/28/03 with about 7200 miles. Still under the 12/12 and I also have the Premium warranty.

Goofy idle at cold start-up. Also sputters a lot for the 1st couple of miles after the start-up.
Can't seen to keep a constant speed. Example: hit 40 in 4th and try to keep her at that point, she will surge up and down. Higher speeds and in 5th/6th doesn't seem to be as bad for some reason.
Brakes make some noise and under harder situations they grip odd. Front are not bad, but the rear are grooved pretty bad.
There is a bunch of grease on the passanger side half shaft?

Trans stuff, it works but just doesn't seem/feel right:
At idle...squeaking (guessing throwout bearing) and it makes a bunch of grinding noise. I can hear it in the car and if I put some pressure on the clutch pedal I can feel vibrations and rubbing.
Having a hard time down shifting...especially when things are warm/hot. Also not easy getting into 2nd and 3rd after driving in stop and go traffic for awhile. Reverse is always an adventure.
I don't get this one...while slowing down, if I have it in gear and leave my foot on the clutch pedal I can feel it moving. The pedal goes in and out and makes a bit of noise...even worse under braking? Maybe a warped fly wheel or something???

Engine compartment:
There are a bunch of noises...At idle with the hood up the clutch squeeking and grinding is louder. Also some noise from the pulley area?
This one scares me...if it were an old 5.0 I would think it is lifter noise, but this is a 2.0 DOHC. There is a tapping noise towards the top of the engine cover?
There's probably more, but that is all I can remember right now. Please post up you thoughts and suggestions! I am looking to bring her in early next week and would like to get as much done at one time as I can!
Thanks
Tim

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
Tapping noise is probably the 30lb injectors, they are much bigger/louder than most small car injectors. Oil on the pass halfshaft is from the location of the filter. When you change the oil, it drips all over the trans side of the shaft. Otherwise, get that puppy in there are give them a list. And make sure they wash the car(SVT premium service). Good luck bro! E-

Mystic 544

Established Member
E...
Thanks for the reply and glad to see all you have done to your ride!
Tapping noise is probably the 30lb injectors
Wouldn't think it to be that...My Mystic Cobra's injectors make a lot of noise too, but it is a different type of sound. This sounds more like metal hitting something...I'll check it out again and try and re-describe. And the SVT Focus has 30lb injectors...WOW that's huge, didn't know that!
Oil on the pass halfshaft
Not oil....grease, as in lube.
On the oil thought...Sometimes I don't understand what Ford is thinking when it comes to oil drain? My SVT Contour had a big plastic piece under the front fender that was right below the oil filter...oil went right into it. And on the Cobra it drains right on the steering stuff, always makes a big mess:rollseyes

wagonman72

Established Member
Tapping is definately the injectors and maybe a little the valvetrain, I know a guy that has an 03 Euro SVTF and has switched to Mobile1 and his engine is a bit quieter than mine. I am still running Motorcraft SemiSynth 5-30 weight.

rmvurhdfmurass

Established Member
Originally posted by wagonman72
Tapping is definately the injectors and maybe a little the valvetrain, I know a guy that has an 03 Euro SVTF and has switched to Mobile1 and his engine is a bit quieter than mine. I am still running Motorcraft SemiSynth 5-30 weight.

My car is a little loud at idle. I was a bit concerned but my master tech buddy said all was well in SVTF land, and it was normal. Like Elliot said, it might be the injectors

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
Brining back the dead post...my SCT reflash resulted in a MUCH, MUCH quieter idle.

inteller

Established Member
probably because the flash leans out the air fuel, and they aren't clacking against the fuel rail from pushing in so much gas.

KCFocusSVT

Established Member
As far as the idling thing goes, that's totaly common. Every single SVTF, as far as I know, is a bit of a rough starter, especially in colder climate. If you have the block heater, and you live in a cold area, definitely use it, it will eliminate most of the funky ilding when it's cold. If not, let it sit for about 5 minutes before you drive, when the engine heats up, it will smooth out.

Users who are viewing this thread