"Service Engine" with JLT CAI?

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
Just got done installing my JLT CAI and drive my car to work, no problems. When I was coming home I noticed a service engine light that popped up. Has anyone ever had a similar problem? Did I do a crappy install? Maybe there might be a slight leak? Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
Hmmm i installed mine but i did not have any troubles. did you make sure that you installed the mas back ? just tossing out ideas but check all the connections.

Taz

Established Member
AzianStang said:
Just got done installing my JLT CAI and drive my car to work, no problems. When I was coming home I noticed a service engine light that popped up. Has anyone ever had a similar problem? Did I do a crappy install? Maybe there might be a slight leak? Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

Have the codes read at an Auto Zone. They'll do it for free.

If you come up with P0171 & 174, you've got an air leak between your MAF meter and your TB. Just seal it up, and have the codes cleared. You'll be good to go.

T-

01BlueCOBRA

GOT BIT
Established Member
Taz said:
Have the codes read at an Auto Zone. They'll do it for free.

If you come up with P0171 & 174, you've got an air leak between your MAF meter and your TB. Just seal it up, and have the codes cleared. You'll be good to go.

T-

it will actually trigger the light on ?? with a leak around the MAF ??

Taz

Established Member
01BlueCOBRA said:
it will actually trigger the light on ?? with a leak around the MAF ??

Yes.

If the leak is downstream from the MAF meter, then it enters the intake as unmetered air. The PCM knows only about the air that has been read by the MAF, so you end up lean.

Your car's PCM has been programmed to adjust the fuel trims up to +/- 25% without throwing a code (or illuminating the Check Engine Light). If you have a large leak, the PCM can't bring the fuel trims into line before exceeding the 25% limit, so it energzes the light and logs diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) indicating that you're running lean.

Note that forgetting to reconnect the MAF meter's electrical harness will result in similar DTC's.

T-

Last edited:

trplblacksnake

Alcohol disposal unit!
Established Member
Taz said:
Note that forgetting to reconnect the MAF meter's electrical harness will result in similar DTC's.

T-
Been there done that. Check all your connections. I put my stock intake back on my car when I sold the MGW intake. I forgot to hook the mas air up and it lagged horribly when I let off the gas. the AIT may have been not connected too.

99_venum

SVT Madness
Established Member
Check to make sure you plugged in the air temp sensor in the bottom of the intake tube. Been there done that. :poke: Also check all the clamps and any place it might suck in some air.
Taz is right about the unmetered air. It will throw lean codes because it is getting more air that it expects.

If you find a leak and can't get to someplace with a tester just unplug the battery for a while (at least 20 minutes), that will clear the code turning the light on.

Users who are viewing this thread