service engine soon light

01Lightningwafb

Established Member
ok so recently i got the above light on and i ran my tuner and it gave me these two codes/problems: P0171/P0174 sys too lean 1 & 2. Is this my injectors being clogged or are they going bad??? thanks for input.

baja5bss

Established Member
It could be a number of things,I had the same issues a few months ago.First thing to check would be your spark plugs(I didnt think about this at the time...but here is what caused my problem) if one of them is loose then its the culprit,also check the 90D elbow at the back of the lower intake,find the pcv "T" on the passenger side of the motor,and follow the hose to the back of the motor.Alot of people say that is the culprit for 98% of the vaccum lean codes.Others could be

3)clogged fuel filter
4)bad pcv valve
5)dirty/bad maf
6)bad fuel sender
7)fuel pumps not/barely working
8)cracked,broken or loose vaccum hose

I have never been to warrensburg,but how far roughly is it from St. Louis?

JollyGiant

Established Member
When you get both 0171 and 0174 codes you should check for vacuum leaks. If you don't find a leak then go back and check again for vacuum leaks. If you don't find a leak on the second try, go have a beer then come back to the truck and check for vacuum leaks.

This procedure is guaranteed to fix your problem.

operator1391

Established Member
clean your MAF, check for vacume leaks,.....i had the same codes and it ended up being the rubber 90 on the lower intake..you have to remove the supercharger, and you might as well clean your intercooler while your there, maybe change your plugs if needed...remove the rubber 90 on your lower intake and replace it...but do the easiest things firts, MAF, check for vacume leaks,,,then do the 90....just my .02

Jroc

Established Member
A P0171 is a lean code.

When I bought my truck it had one. It ended up being a vacuum leak. It was that POS line that connects to the bottom/back of the manifold that lets oil leaking off the I/C back into the motor. Its a bitch to get at as its behind the motor next to the firewall. Its pretty common for that elbow that connects that line to the manifold to rot away over time. I went to NAPA and bought a line that I modded to work in the factory ones place.

Atleast I think that was its problem. I also changed the plugs, and cleaned the I/C at the same time.

Here the worn factory one compared to the one I modded up. Many just plug that line though, and run an oil seperator.
w0nmuf.jpg

Last edited:

01Lightningwafb

Established Member
i dont drive it as much as i would like to. mostly the summer time. I have not driven her too much lately b/c of the current issue i have. i think i have seen you drive back and forth on Arnold Ave. I work in T-9

voodoocustoms

Established Member
A P0171 is a lean code.

When I bought my truck it had one. It ended up being a vacuum leak. It was that POS line that connects to the bottom/back of the manifold that lets oil leaking off the I/C back into the motor. Its a bitch to get at as its behind the motor next to the firewall. Its pretty common for that elbow that connects that line to the manifold to rot away over time. I went to NAPA and bought a line that I modded to work in the factory ones place.

Atleast I think that was its problem. I also changed the plugs, and cleaned the I/C at the same time.

Here the worn factory one compared to the one I modded up. Many just plug that line though, and run an oil seperator.
w0nmuf.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This, This, This, This is where to start.

Users who are viewing this thread