"Service Engine Soon" Light

I just tripped a "Service Engine Soon" light yesterday at around 98,100 mi. Is this something that automatically comes on just before 100k??? I haven't serviced my car at a Ford dealership since the car wa around 24k. I just had a dyno tune this week witht he SCT2400 and my JLT CAI. A/F hovering in the 11.8 - 12.4 range since I like beating on my car. I've never seen this light before.

Only tripped the "Check Engine" light once way back at the 58k marker. That was due to to a faulty ACT sensor connector. Just want to make sure everything is cool. Thanks fellas. :beer:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
gotta figure out what the problem is.

I have a autotap, so if you can't get autozone to do it, i'll do it on a weekend.

btw, on the 23rd, there is a meet at Garden State Plaza if you are interested. lots of cobras/lightnings should be there.

quadcammer said:
gotta figure out what the problem is.

I have a autotap, so if you can't get autozone to do it, i'll do it on a weekend.

btw, on the 23rd, there is a meet at Garden State Plaza if you are interested. lots of cobras/lightnings should be there.

The GTG sounds good my friend. :beer: How much do they charge at AutoZone for the diagnostic test?

anaxagoras

Established Member
i know in my area, they diagnosis it for free, in hopes that you get the parts from their store.

There shouldn't be any parts to replace here. Every emmission related part has been replaced and the A/F is extremely rich, so I don't see any A/F issues being the case.

Just went down to AutoZone and the code indicated that there was a fuel pressure irregularity. This definitely has to be from making the tune so rich. Oddly enough, while running the car hard afterwards, the light went away.

I went to AutoZone and they told me the code indicated there were fuel pressure irregularities. The Service Engine Soon light went away after about 30 minutes. Are the fuel pressure irregularities indicative of a very rich tune. Or could I possibly have a fuel pump problem at the moment? And my fuel economy is real shitty.

BloodSoup

Established Member
what? autozone? i hope you guys arent serious? lol autozone hires bunch of idiots who cant find their ass with both hands. just have a ford tech hook it up to a wds or ngs scan tool. oh and by the way lasercobra my spoon is too big! lol

Quadcammer

Established Member
BloodSoup said:
what? autozone? i hope you guys arent serious? lol autozone hires bunch of idiots who cant find their ass with both hands. just have a ford tech hook it up to a wds or ngs scan tool. oh and by the way lasercobra my spoon is too big! lol
calm down there bucko.

all he needed was his codes read. if the autozone guy can plug in the obd II plug and read a screen thats all.

fuel pressure irregularity is not a code im familiar with.

The number would be more helpful if you got that.

might just be a bad fuel rail pressure sensor.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the code from him. He simply said that it was indicating there were fuel pressure irregularities. I still have my stock fuel pump and the car is almost at 100k mi. I'm taking the car in to my tuner this week to get the Meziere W/P installed. I'll have him look at it because the other problem is that my fuel economy has really dropped beyond belief. I'm getting about 230 mi. now per tank. Even though I beat on the car, I can't believe that its normal for my 4.10s to be giving me these numbers. Its just a real bitch figuring out the problem. :nonono:

silver01

Established Member
Hi, This is kinda related but I just changed the fuel filter on my car now my "service engine soon light" is on. Car has 35,000 miles on it so I believe it was the "oe" filter.
Maybe the engine is getting the correct amount of gas so the computer is confused?

silver01

Established Member
@ Quadcammer
Right after I made the post, thats exactly what I did. Result....lights out!
Thanks for your response.

Quadcammer

Established Member
yes, the light will go out. you will have to drive for a while to see fi the problem was just just temporary.

Disconnected mine yesterday for over an hour to reset the fuel tables. Lets see what happens, but its still going in this week for the Meziere install. This fuel economy issue is bugging the shit out of me though. F*ck these 99/01 Cobra pieces of shit :cuss:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
uhh you put a rich tune in your car for an NA application and you like to beat on it. Did you think it was going to sip fuel like a 4 cylinder?

It's all in the driving habit. I got just over 6mpg in my stock 99 Cobra when it was out on track. Obviously you're in it the entire track session but as you can see fuel consumption really suffers when you've got your foot in it.

Add to that the fact that your car is truely richer than it needs to be for an NA application and of course you're going to see crappy gas mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread