Serious Traction Contol Problem

MACSSVT

Established Member
:cuss: So, yesterday I'm speeding up trying to get on the freeway and I accidently hit the traction control defeat button. When all this happened, the breaks clamped down HARD for a split second! Good thing there were no cars behind me, bad news man.

Be careful out there!

AZ SVT

Established Member
Whoa!!! That would not be fun. Can you get it to do it again in a safe place? Were you going under 25 when it happened?

The only thing that would be consistent with how Ford describes the system (but still a major problem) is if you were under 25 MPH and the TC was already slowing you down. Then when you turned it "off", the wheels started to spin but NOW with TC "off" the only response it had left was the always-on hit-the-brakes- under-25-MPH. That was a lot of supposin' but is it anywhere close? Like I said, even if that was it, it sounds dangerous.

MACSSVT

Established Member
The situation was fairly normal. Dry roads, cranking it up to 4,500rpm I think in 3rd at about 50mph. Just rolled out of an on-ramp loop getting up to speed fairly quickly.
Yeah, I'll get out there and try it again just to see if it happens again, then submit my findings to the state attourneys' office of California.

AZ SVT

Established Member
That's definetly messed up. I'd rather have my throttle stick like fixed in the recall than have my car brake check the car behind me or suddenly transfer weight to the front at 10/10ths in a turn.

93 Lightning

Established Member
Yeh, that is messed up:eek: Do all these cars come with the traction control or can you have one without??

cruznsvt

Established Member
Yes

Like a SVT should be you can get it with no options. No options still leaves you with plenty.

Of the three options the TC is the one you should stand clear from.

cruznsvt

Established Member
No options

I left out all the options.

Of all of the opts the radio would not have been a bad choice but tunes aren't the reason I bought the car.

I have to say that the track times will not show this SVTF as a 12sec killer but when you're in the seat you and your mind don't know it.

It has a very good take off and with the CAI the sound is great with out pissing people off. It's loud only when you open it up.

Now if you have places that you can take corners saftly then you are getting what you paid for.

I had an 85 carbed stang, an 89 lx 5.0 slightly mod and the 85 SVO as well as a 93 SHO and 93 GT probe.

So I have had a couple with good pwr and a couple with good handling. So this is what i compare to when I say this SVT is a great package.

cruznsvt

Established Member
It is

So when are you going to get one? I think you can apreciate it!

BTW my svo was an 86 not an 85.

93 Lightning

Established Member
Might try to get one at the first part of next year.Just have a little too much going on right now to go out and get one.Would be a lot cheeper for gas and a lot better for a carseat.Maybe one of these days:shrug: "Being a 2and1/2 hour drive to the SVT dealer dosent help either:bash: "

GetImpact

Established Member
Maybe I'm wrong (but I don't think so).

My T/C seems to be disengaged by default.

Only when I hit the T/C button after starting it will the indicator on the dash stay lit.

Could this be an "adjustment" they might have made later in the model year? (I purchased the car this August.)

AZ SVT

Established Member
Could the indicator be warning that TC is OFF?

By having TC on whenever the car is started, it prevents people from having an accident because they didn't realize TC was off. I suspect its as much to stop lawsuits in the US as it is for safety.

If your's really starts up with TC off and that's your preference (it would be mine) consider yourself lucky ;)

cruznsvt

Established Member
seems unlucky to me that you would pay for something that you didn't want on.

NC SVT

TC light

In the manual it says when the Traction control light is on it means the system is disabled, It also states that it is enabled at all times unless deavtivated by pressing the TC button. Isn't that true?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread