serious thread... career suggestions

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
So I'm not really content with my current job and I'm looking to start a new career. I wouldnt mind going to school for 1 to 2 years to learn a trade or a skill. At the risk of sounding like I was born with a silver spoon up my ass, which I definitely wasnt, my parents agreed to pay for 4 years of college for me. I ended up getting an associates degree at Umass Lowell in business and I got good grades but decided not to go for the bachelors degree because thats just not the direction I want to go. So I still have 2 years of schooling that my parents will pay for, but I have no idea what to do. I could change my major and keep going to Umass and get a bachelors or do something totally different. I would be content with making 60k a year. My main thing is I dont want to have to spend 3 years trying to find a job after Im finished with school. Any suggestions?

PS- if you think im a prick because my parents pay for my education then call me out in smackdown, dont bring drama in here please.:beer:

Last edited:

greenflash00

Established Member
I went through 2 years of college before I decided what I wanted to do. And even then I wasn't totally sure. I understand that this approach isn't for everyone but I would really encourage you to hone a particular skill that you could use to start your own business doing something you enjoy. It might sound scary at first ( I know it did to me) but starting your own business gives you so much more freedom, financial growth opportunity and sense of accomplishment. I'm in the advertising/design/marketing field and worked at an Ad agency right out of college. Pay was crap and it was of course a full time job. After that I decided I never wanted another job again and could do the same thing myself for more money and less time and I have. I've managed to build up a great client base over the years and it keeps growing each year.

Again it's not the path for everyone but it's something to consider. The freedom alone is worth it for me! Best of luck to you! :beer:

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
I went through 2 years of college before I decided what I wanted to do. And even then I wasn't totally sure. I understand that this approach isn't for everyone but I would really encourage you to hone a particular skill that you could use to start your own business doing something you enjoy. It might sound scary at first ( I know it did to me) but starting your own business gives you so much more freedom, financial growth opportunity and sense of accomplishment. I'm in the advertising/design/marketing field and worked at an Ad agency right out of college. Pay was crap and it was of course a full time job. After that I decided I never wanted another job again and could do the same thing myself for more money and less time and I have. I've managed to build up a great client base over the years and it keeps growing each year.

Again it's not the path for everyone but it's something to consider. The freedom alone is worth it for me! Best of luck to you! :beer:

i could definitely see myself running my own business later on down the line. ive already run two businesses, one was a detailing business and I couldnt find enough customers to stay afloat (I still have everything I need to start another detailing biz tomorrow if I wanted) and I ran a landscaping biz for about a year which started to crumble after my co-owner started having a generally poor work ethic and decided that constant cigarette breaks were more important that getting work done. Id like to run my own business again in maybe 10 years or so when im in my 30s.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Op what do you want to do? Like what sort of career?

The hard part with college is that nobody knows what they want to do with the rest of their life at 18. And the second hard part Is that most who do, get a rude awakening on how shitty their field of work is coming out.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
If I could do it all over again, I would probably stick with the same major, civil engineering, but I would have done the Army ROTC program and enlisted after college.

Otherwise, if a 2 year degree is your only option, there are plenty of "technician" jobs in healthcare where you can make pretty decent money.

greenflash00

Established Member
i could definitely see myself running my own business later on down the line. ive already run two businesses, one was a detailing business and I couldnt find enough customers to stay afloat (I still have everything I need to start another detailing biz tomorrow if I wanted) and I ran a landscaping biz for about a year which started to crumble after my co-owner started having a generally poor work ethic and decided that constant cigarette breaks were more important that getting work done. Id like to run my own business again in maybe 10 years or so when im in my 30s.

There are a few mobile detailing businesses around my area and from what I can tell they do very well for themselves. They have a setup where they can come to you and detail fleet vehicles, boats, planes, cars you name it. I wanted to do that myself at one point but I sort of lost the passion for it and went another direction.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member

The hard part with college is that nobody knows what they want to do with the rest of their life at 18. And the second hard part Is that most who do, get a rude awakening on how shitty their field of work is coming out.

all i know is i dont really want to sit at a desk. i like moving around and doing stuff. and i dont mind getting my hands dirty. If i could make 60k a year to load boxes at UPS id be all over that. i like being active and busy in the workplace. thats not to say that need to have a physical type of job but I definitely wouldnt mind that.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
like i said, whats most important is actually being able to get a job fairly quickly, aka something thats always in demand. i can adapt to basically any job/environment so the most important thing is being able to get hired once I finish school.

eaglesnick

Established Member
Being young, it's difficult to try and figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life. The best advised I can give you is to find something you enjoy doing ad try finding a job that incorporates it if possible. I am a home inspector which is enjoyable since I am rarely behind a desk and I see different people all the time and every house is different so it's never boring. It's also interesting to see some of the crazy things people do.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
all i know is i dont really want to sit at a desk. i like moving around and doing stuff. and i dont mind getting my hands dirty. If i could make 60k a year to load boxes at UPS id be all over that. i like being active and busy in the workplace. thats not to say that need to have a physical type of job but I definitely wouldnt mind that.

I never thought I would want to sit at a desk.

But 15 years of hard work outside has changed my mind. I always said I wanted to be out doing something, until my body started hating me.

I may not "like" sitting a desk now, but on the weekends when I'm off when I have energy because I didn't bust my ass all week pays off.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I'm going to Tulsa welding school in Oklahoma and I will be making in the neighborhood of 40k or 18$ an hour

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
Being young, it's difficult to try and figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life. The best advised I can give you is to find something you enjoy doing ad try finding a job that incorporates it if possible. I am a home inspector which is enjoyable since I am rarely behind a desk and I see different people all the time and every house is different so it's never boring. It's also interesting to see some of the crazy things people do.

my dad suggested becoming a home inspector. i really liked the idea at first but I got intimidated by the fact that you have to go on 100+ inspections with an inspector. and it seems like it would be hard to find an inspector to train me because why would he want more conpetition? what are your opinions on the long process of becoming an inspector?

dsg04MACHone

Established Member
If you have an associates, you could get an engineering degree in 3 years. You want something making at least around 60k and not where you'll be waiting around for a job after graduation then that screams engineering.

All bull shit classes should be out of the way. Depending on what math you took for your associates you'll likely have to climb through all those but it'd be worth it. Pay for the third year with loans or even an internship (most eng. internships pay anywhere from 18-35 an hr) so you can save enough from an internship to pay your last year.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
I would gladly work behind a desk if I could. Sure working on Jets in negative temperatures can be rewarding at times. However it sucks and I would suggest that you start an online business. If you want to be active learn how to paint/restore cars, and go to the gym. You don't need to hurt yourself needlessly if you don't have to.

The point is to have more freedom. The best thing I could suggest for you is to start reading. Read a hell of a lot. Knowledge is power. Don't quit your job until you can be free from a job by creating your own business.

Here are some books you can start with if you haven't already:

48 laws of power- Robert Greene
33 strategies of war- Robert Greene
Seduction-Robert Greene
50th Law- Robert Greene
Mastery-Robert Greene
Man's search for meaning- Viktor E. Frankl
Think and Grow Rich- Napoleon Hill
The Millionaire Fastlane- MJ DeMarco
How to win friends and influence people- Dale Carnegie

Last edited:

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Just remember follow your heart and give yourself time. It will take you 20 years of hard work to master what it is you decide to do so be patient and pick wisely.

eaglesnick

Established Member
my dad suggested becoming a home inspector. i really liked the idea at first but I got intimidated by the fact that you have to go on 100+ inspections with an inspector. and it seems like it would be hard to find an inspector to train me because why would he want more conpetition? what are your opinions on the long process of becoming an inspector?

You have to find out what each individual state requires. I have been doing it for 10 years so becoming a home inspector back then was different and of course the requirement varies from state to state. So you will need to see what your state requirements are, here in NJ you have to get licensed by the state and must carry E&O Insurance as well as take continuing ed classes to maintain your license. As for the training part, there are a couple of options:
1. look for a company/owner who is looking for or needs more inspectors and get your requirements completed with him
2. look for an older inspector that may be looking to sell his business in the next few years and train with him then buy him out
3. Look for a franchise opportunity where you can get your training done by a fellow franchisee in a different territory (no fear of competition)

If you want more detailed info PM me.

Last edited:

coposrv

Established Member

Truth right there

azmarkus

Established Member
Only you know what you have a passion for, so I can't pretend to give you a map for a career or a vocation, but being a little older than you I have come across people who have regretted their career decisions (or the situation that their career dictates) for one reason or another.

- Any job involving extensive travel (usually salespeople, but also vendors and related support people, trainers, etc.). Without exception, they all told me that the extensive travel was fun when younger, but when marriage/family kicked in, it was a strain, sometimes a debilitating one. Once the problems surface, they're in too deep/too vested and can't afford a pay cut to start another career.

- Any job involving heavy physical labor (construction, mechanics, etc.). Another job that when one is younger and the back is strong is satisfying and always in demand, but everyone slows down physically...everyone. A close acquaintance of mine does custom construction, he makes good money and has an outstanding reputation, but he tells me every time, my body's worn out. A family friend is an excellent mechanic, is an absolute Honda and Toyota wizard, but after umpteen years of bruised knuckles, wrenched back/shoulders, and another 15-20 years to go, he doesn't know if he can sustain it.

My recommendation - think long term in regards to the career and the collateral considerations (stability, commute, potential for advancement, stability (yes, twice), retirement, benefits, etc.). If you don't start making 60K off the bat, don't fret, think of the long-term considerations. Don't stare yourself blind on the money aspect; whatever job/career you consider, envision not only this week, but yourself in that situation 20 years down the road.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread