Semi OT: Has anyone ever restored an old Mustang

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
So over the last few years I have had a growing desire to buy an old mustang (65-69) that is in fairly good, running condition and restore it. I would be looking at something that isnt complete rusted out and has a running drivetrain but made need some interior & exterior work. Nothing to the extent of a full frame off resto.

Has anyone here ever done something like that and would you do it again. Part of me would find it fun to tinker & learn and once all done drive around on occassion. I'd probably eventually look to sell for at least break even money. Part of me is leary of biting off more than I can chew.

I am curious if anyone has done this before.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I had a 1966 6 cyl Coupe, 1967 289 Coupe, 1969 351 Coupe and a 1970 Coupe. The interior are easy to redo and restore. There are lots of place to get parts. They are a lot easier to work on the newer cars but things will always break on a 40 year old car. Rust is inevitable on old Mustangs and you will pay through the nose on a rust free car.

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
Thanks J. I know some rust in inevitable but as long as the entire floor baord isnt rusted out, if there is some rust along the rocker panels or bottom of read fenders, etc that is OK.

So you had no regrets working on those cars? Did you lose a bunch of money on the project once you sold them?

VAMPIR3

Established Member
If your really pretty content with the way your Cobra sits now Jeremy, I say go for it but I wouldnt try to fund two projects. Would be way to much of a PITA.

lastdeployment

Established Member
I had a 69 coupe... Just as Jason mentioned, rust will be there, somewhere. My floorpans were replaced but the trunk floor rusted through. The hardest parts I had to find were the airbox pieces. Look very close at the electrical wiring in the engine bay. When I bought mine most of it was wrapped up. Once I got into it I found most of the wiring was replaced with speaker wire of all things... As with any car, a lot of things can be hidden. I was in over my head with the rust issues so I ended up selling the car before I ever got to really drive it anywhere.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Thanks J. I know some rust in inevitable but as long as the entire floor baord isnt rusted out, if there is some rust along the rocker panels or bottom of read fenders, etc that is OK.

So you had no regrets working on those cars? Did you lose a bunch of money on the project once you sold them?

No regrets at all! My dad lent me a hand when I needed it, friends would come over and hang out, and I learned a lot about Mustangs. I wish newer cars were that easy, way to many electrical parts and no room to work on anything.

I didn't lose money because most of the time I was buying junk, and then restoring back as close to original. You can find replica parts and pieces. Year One, CJ Pony Parts, and Mustang Depot and many more are out there. I even found a place in Beltsville that had hard to find parts and pieces. The place was a dump but the guy knew where everything was or could get it.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I restored a '53 F100 and '72 Cuda when I was younger. That was at a stage in life where I had plenty of time and little money. Now I simply have no time to dedicate to a project like this. And ever since Barrett Jackson started, prices for old cars, and old car parts, have made restoring these rides unpractical for me.

qwikhuh

Established Member
. Nothing to the extent of a full frame off resto.

That is a good thing since they do not have full frames :) I restore classic Mustangs for a living so I would be glad to answer any questions you have. Like many said above rust is the enemy with these cars and almost all northeast cars will have rust of some kind. Pretty much every panel on an early Mustang is available so parts are not hard to come by but can get very expensive. LIke anything else buy the absolute nicest car you can afford. You will be much better off with a decent solid car to build vs starting with a cheap project.

Users who are viewing this thread