SEMA Show and the 5.8 in 2015

14GT500Robert

Established Member
Not ATroll on 5.8

Please disregard Post on 5.8, I must have misunderstood what I heard.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
That's odd. I was at SEMA as well. Standing right next to Justin from VMP and speaking to someone from FRPP who I consider to be as reliable as they come, he confirmed that the party is over for the 5.8 liter engine.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Now he did say all plans are subject to change -- It seemed like a fluid situation from their point of view.

This is the most suspicious part to me. At this point in development, I'd guess everything is pretty locked in on a car that starts production in 4 or 5 months.

However, I personally wouldn't be surprised to see the 5.8L live on for another year, even though it goes against everything this new car is about (weight, mpg, etc).

Simon_C

Established Member
My totally uninformed guess is that the 5.8 will not continue. I have no evidence for this other than the fact that GT500 production is soon to cease although the 2014 will continue for a few months in its other forms. My read into this is that the GT500 tooling (including Trinity) is now superfluous to requirements and that this is being removed.

I would have thought the GT500 would continue if the intention was to continue the Trinity. Also given that the SVT performance version doesn't usually accompany a new launch there is unlikely to be a new GT500 equivalent in the 2015 and by the time the SVT variant goes into production the Voodoo will be ready. Just a guess though.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
Ahh, "He" said it, so it must be true. So in a year when I wanna say "He" told us buulshit, do I reach him in the department of candy land, or is he part of Ford secret ops under director "Dat Guya"?

5.0 guy

Established Member
I don't see SVT releasing a model the first year of a new design nor do I see them waisting engineering time on a car for a year of production until the Voodoo is ready. It takes alot more to complete an SVT big dog then just dropping the previous cars engine under the hood not that I believe it will even fit.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Hi All,
I attended the SEMA Show in Vegas and the buzz within a least a few at ford racing is the 5.0TT is not ready for production just yet. And the 5.8 will carry on for 1 year, maybe two, even though all further development has stopped. He said the 2015my was going to be an extra-long run and would be like 1.5-2.0. I said loudly “the internet buzz is the motor will not fit in the S550 engine bay”, He said not true and they are running it right now in testing. Cooling is the one small issue (think fender vents), Also the N/A 5.8 was mentioned for a Mach1 boss replacement against the Z28. The one thing that was peppered thru all conversations about the new Mustang was FORD want’s an answer for an upcoming Hyundai Genesis coupe V8 ?,and the supercharged mopars . Apparently a High up Chrysler suit made a few comments at last year’s auto show about having an answer for the GT500, and Got FORD in the lets not wait two years for a completive H.P model. Let’s surprise the competition again. Now he did say all plans are subject to change and not to show up next year or call and say what the**** you said blah,blah, It seemed like a fluid situation from their point of view. Now this could all be nonsense and the guys were just messing with people like me or just creating buzz for the new model but it sure did sound convincing listing to them talk among themselves and others. So take it for what it is, don’t shoot the messenger, I have no dog in this fight, I just wanted to share.
Peace

:bs:

Troll....

Tom

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
A bit dry but you can keep abreast of the engines Ford will be certifying for use in the upcoming Mustang model here. The powerplants will be listed in the left most vertical column (scroll down the page until you see "EXECUTIVE ORDERS LISTING").

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Robert, don't get me wrong, the '15 would be an absolute rocket with the 5.8 under the hood. This could be a massive effort of Ford's part to keep everyone confused, including GM and Dodge, right up until the last minute. But as it sits right now all things are pointing to no.

rwboring

Established Member
Robert, don't get me wrong, the '15 would be an absolute rocket with the 5.8 under the hood. This could be a massive effort of Ford's part to keep everyone confused, including GM and Dodge, right up until the last minute. But as it sits right now all things are pointing to no.

considering it is the first year of the new platform I would say Ford will wait for a couple years as they typically do. However by then the 5.0 will have FI and/or a bigger displacement.

also Tob when is the next step in emission standards? I thought it was 2015, which the current 5.8 would probably have a hard time meeting.

Simon_C

Established Member
It could be that Ford was disseminating bad info to keep eveyone guessing and the OP may have heard correctly. It may also be why C&D reported the 5.8 will continue.

It is interesting how history appears to be repeating. If I recall correctly Dodge was late to the game in the 60s and the Challenger with the 426 was one of the last big power products in the early 70s. It seems Dodge is late to the game again with the Hellcat to be offered sometime next year.

As everyone knows, it was a combination of safety regulations, fuel prices and rocketing insurance costs that killed off the last generation of muscle cars. CAFE seems to be mirroring the regulatory aspect. Okay, oil prices are about the same price today as they were 5 years ago. However, it seems that there are pressures on oil prices such as the peak oil myth and Obama killing the Keystone Pipeline to conspire with the Saudis to prop up Middle East oil prices. No idea what is happening to people's insurance premiums. But there is certainly a new generation of pressure against the production of big V8 performance engines.

The last era of big power died slowly. Suddenly muscle cars weren't around anymore. It may be that we are headed the same way. I still expect there to be performance cars (unlike the 70s) but I anticipate that these will be different. Perhaps more European in nature. Eventually the big power will be from hybrids once the technology in products such as the Porsche 918 becomes affordable.

Sadly, I think hybrids are the future and they will eventually make more power than the 5.8. I doubt they will ever be as intoxicating to drive though.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
Yeah, I stop short of the OP being labelled troll. Its more likely he was used by Ford to misdirect, which is very valuable for Ford. Ford has been on the winning side of best muscle car so many years in a row, I really dont think it would even matter if they have a down year or two. The new platform will put them right back on top before their repuatation even gets a scratch, and they will have a brand new platform to develop and build on for the next 7-10 years!

My question in all this still is what about C&D? Wont this inaccurate information damage their credibility? Or is it enought that they were the first to have a visual image, and the rest doesnt matter? It would matter to me if it were my publication.

Last edited:

Simon_C

Established Member
I agree regarding having a year or two without a halo Mustang. The hype from the new model should boost sales sufficiently not to need a SVT product.

As for C&D my take is that having the scoop on the new shape outweighs any loss of reputation for getting one engine in the line up wrong. If that is the case then one must conclude the rendering is accurate.

rwboring

Established Member
You're right. Phase in of the LEV III standards begins in 2015.

Emission Standards: USA: Cars and Light-Duty Trucks?California

yeah and its only rated to a LEV II which doesn't meant it couldn't meet III however considering our CO g/mi and such, I don't see that happening.

Let face it when you lose roughly 30hp for every 100 made from a blower, the only chance I really see of the 5.8 making it with the new limits is if it loses the belt and gets FI via exhaust.

mike69440

Established Member
Still Kicking myself

It could be that Ford was disseminating bad info to keep eveyone guessing and the OP may have heard correctly. It may also be why C&D reported the 5.8 will continue.

It is interesting how history appears to be repeating. If I recall correctly Dodge was late to the game in the 60s and the Challenger with the 426 was one of the last big power products in the early 70s. It seems Dodge is late to the game again with the Hellcat to be offered sometime next year.

As everyone knows, it was a combination of safety regulations, fuel prices and rocketing insurance costs that killed off the last generation of muscle cars. CAFE seems to be mirroring the regulatory aspect. Okay, oil prices are about the same price today as they were 5 years ago. However, it seems that there are pressures on oil prices such as the peak oil myth and Obama killing the Keystone Pipeline to conspire with the Saudis to prop up Middle East oil prices. No idea what is happening to people's insurance premiums. But there is certainly a new generation of pressure against the production of big V8 performance engines.

The last era of big power died slowly. Suddenly muscle cars weren't around anymore. It may be that we are headed the same way. I still expect there to be performance cars (unlike the 70s) but I anticipate that these will be different. Perhaps more European in nature. Eventually the big power will be from hybrids once the technology in products such as the Porsche 918 becomes affordable.

Sadly, I think hybrids are the future and they will eventually make more power than the 5.8. I doubt they will ever be as intoxicating to drive though.

I turned down a basic 70 Hemi Cuda 4 Speed in great shape ($8,000) and a 71 426 fully loaded Auto Charger, (Car was gently? rolled and repaired correctly, $5000) Sept 1973. Still Kicking myself.

Then there was the gorgeous black 66 Nova 454 ($6,000)

No time like the present.

PS
The hellcat should be interesting!

My Ford Gm,told me today that Ford will have a 2016 Shelby Gt500 with the 5.8L,in it.
The 5.8L will be not used in the 2015 model mustang from his information from what he has heard .
How true this is guess we'll have too wait & see what Ford will actually do.
There suppose to be 1000,unit's of the 50th Anniversary Mustang built first before other mustang models from what he told me today.
So every dealer will not get one of these Anniversary models.
Should be a awsome unit from what he was told.
Ford is going to make a GT350 this year from what he was told by Ford.
Just passing the message from the GM & the owner of this dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread