selling on ebay and paypal

NA97GT

Established Member
I have a vortech v1 s trim headunit that I want to sell, and I figured that I should use my ebay account to sell it. I'm trying to figure how long ebay or paypal will hold my money before I can transfer it to my bank account. Im asking because I heard they hold your money for a certain amount if it's over $1,000 or something. Anyone with experience please chime in.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
I sent 8k when i bought my car, its should be an instant transfer as long as they use their checking account. It might take you a day or two tops.

NA97GT

Established Member
ok good, I was concerned because I have never sold anything this expensive before. I don't want the buyer saying they never received it and, they paypal taking the money or something else. I just feel like there are too many shady people out there.

Mayo5

Established Member
No, they now hold your money no matter what. They will hold it till the package has been verified delivered and/or the buyer has left a positive feedback.

I sold two guitar pedals for a little over 300$ and they held my money for basically 3 weeks. It was ****ing annoying, and I will no longer be selling on Ebay unless I'm desperate.

I have a 75 rating and no bad transactions, all positive. I'm a verified member and have done tons of transaction using paypal on forums, but never had a problem until recently with Ebay.

Last edited:

NA97GT

Established Member
so what do you recommend that I do? if i send the package verified and they have to sign on delivery would they still be able to hold my money.

Mayo5

Established Member
so what do you recommend that I do? if i send the package verified and they have to sign on delivery would they still be able to hold my money.

Yes. From what I understood, they will hold your money until they leave positive feedback. Which took my buyers longer. I had to send them a message asking them to leave feedback.

Then a few days after that happened, they released my money. Now I have to wait the usual 1-3 days for it to go to my bank account.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I would look into using a seperate bank account that you dont normally have all your money in, I heard paypal can freeze your account if they have an issue, not sure about ebay but I wouldn't risk it. Anyone have any experience with that?

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
ok good, I was concerned because I have never sold anything this expensive before. I don't want the buyer saying they never received it and, they paypal taking the money or something else. I just feel like there are too many shady people out there.

I have a Business Verified PayPal Account and a Ebay Account with 100% Positive Feedback (488), so I am speaking from some experience.

These are my words of wisdom on this subject when dealing with Large Transactions.

Rule #1 Make Sure the Money Transfer Has Been completed BEFORE Shipping you item and NEVER let someone give you a sob story about how fast they need the item and ship it before this has happened. If they paid with a method that required more days to complete, that is their problem, not yours.

Rule #2 Ship it using UPS or Fedex (Tracking # Required)

Rule #3 Insure the Shipment for the Full Value

Rule #4 Require a Signature for Delivery

Rule #5 Never Break ANY of the First 4 Rules, for Anyone!

Last edited:

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Yes. From what I understood, they will hold your money until they leave positive feedback. Which took my buyers longer. I had to send them a message asking them to leave feedback.

Then a few days after that happened, they released my money. Now I have to wait the usual 1-3 days for it to go to my bank account.

I've never had Ebay/PayPal hold my money, BUT, that could be because I've got a Business Verified PayPal Account, Personal Accounts may be subject to different rules.

Mayo5

Established Member
I've never had Ebay/PayPal hold my money, BUT, that could be because I've got a Business Verified PayPal Account, Personal Accounts may be subject to different rules.

Yes, I think that is different. I'm just a personal verified account, and not Business verified. I think I vaguely remember reading that.

Users who are viewing this thread