Sell or keep 03 Mach 1!?!?

Justinfiore

Established Member
I just got an 03 azure blue Mach 1 Mustang with some miles on it, it has 182,xxx miles, thats like the most ever on a Mach 1. It was a gift from a friend in the hopes that I would restore it. I had the transmission rebuilt ($2500), put in beautiful racing seats from cypher ($700), and new tail lights ($100), and did a lot of maintenance on the engine (spark plug, coil overs, fuel filter, etc...). The interior is very clean with a new pioneer radio. The engine runs great, hasn't lost any power. and there is no rust at all!

The problem is that the paint is shot, needs to be repainted badly, but friends have told me that its decent just needs to be touched up. Usual paint chips on the hood, paint chips on the rear and front bumper, and on both doors. I thought about plasti dipping the hood to cover the majority of the chips less and a touch up kit for the chips on the doors (2 of them but they are big). The suspension is shot, rims are scratched up, and the bumper definitely needs to be replaced.

End all be all I want this car to be at events and look perfect and have a good amount of hp. I have the money to buy a full exhaust system (headers, H-pipe, catback, and tips), repaint the car, buy new rims (most likely Rovos Durban's or fr500) and buy a full suspension kit. But, is it worth it? I hate seeing the odom at such a high number it takes away from the overall feel of the car. I could rebuild the engine and put in stage 2 cams in, but the body still has the miles. It looks old but runs like new, I need help ughhh!!

Black01Vert

Established Member
I'd fix up what you can to make it look nice without spending too much, sell it 6-7k? And then you can buy a real nice low mileage one for about 12k. You'll be much happier, and save a bunch of time and money vs doing all the work on this one. Paint job/full exhaust/suspension is not cheap!

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
Gut it and make a strip car out of it and not feel bad about it. You can definitely find a good deal on a lower mileage car if you want something nice. Mach 1s do seem to be taking a hit lately. My Mach 1 has around 13500 on the odometer and there's no way in hell I'd sell it for 12 grand.

Justinfiore

Established Member
I have money, thats not an issue but damn, gut it. That would be like killing a puppy, I don't think I could do that, it would take to long. The way I figure it I put $4k in it and what would it go for as is? I'v never seen a Mach 1 with this many miles trying to be sold before.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
The problem is whatever money you put into it will be for nothing ultimately. The car will still be worth what the miles dictate unless you plan on keeping it. It's kind of the same argument when fixing an R title. When a car is neglected as this one must have been instead of keeping up with matinence repairs it puts you behind the 8 ball. That's why I said to take it to the track and not feel bad about beating on it. If you wanted to put stock parts on it I'm sure there are a ton of those laying around in members garages here and other forums you can pick up dirt cheap with a WTB thread. Hell I have a stock set of lca's in my shed with 10k miles on them for example.

Last edited:

Justinfiore

Established Member
Here she is
negb9v.jpg

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
With the questions you are asking, better off selling and buying what you truly want.

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
Do the math and see which would make more sense. Add up the entire cost of a rebuild vs selling the car and getting a low miles one. For the record my buddy bought a red one with 4,000 orginal miles for 16K a little over a year ago

luke1333

Banned
Established Member
The problem is whatever money you put into it will be for nothing ultimately. The car will still be worth what the miles dictate unless you plan on keeping it. It's kind of the same argument when fixing an R title. When a car is neglected as this one must have been instead of keeping up with matinence repairs it puts you behind the 8 ball. That's why I said to take it to the track and not feel bad about beating on it. If you wanted to put stock parts on it I'm sure there are a ton of those laying around in members garages here and other forums you can pick up dirt cheap with a WTB thread. Hell I have a stock set of lca's in my shed with 10k miles on them for example.

true story here. i have all kinds of stock parts sitting in my basement too

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'd fix up what you can to make it look nice without spending too much, sell it 6-7k? And then you can buy a real nice low mileage one for about 12k. You'll be much happier, and save a bunch of time and money vs doing all the work on this one. Paint job/full exhaust/suspension is not cheap!

Low mileage mach for 12k? Please show me where so I can buy two. lol

starnsey

Established Member
Turn into auto-x/road race monster :)

Sorry, but if it was a gift from a friend then I would think any direction you take would be no loss. There's not much you can do to increase the value of a car of this year with that many miles. You either sell it and accept whatever offer you get, or turn it into a monster and not worry about resale value.

Justinfiore

Established Member
I'v deiced to sell it, hopefully I can find a low milage one in a few years when I'm ready to own a Mach 1 again. Thanks all for your opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread