Sell a mint 93 'cause it's too nice?

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
I like to drive mine. It was my daily driver for about 6 years and now it sits in the garage mostly. I still drive it to work when I want to have some fun instead of just get where I am going. I don't think I will ever sell mine so I don't really care about how many miles it has, as long as it starts and runs good when I want it to, I am happy. I could not buy a car like that and just let it sit in the garage and never drive it. When I go more than two weeks without driving it, I start feeling the need to get in it and go for a ride.

laz2447

Established Member
Im somewhere in the middle on this argument. I agree about how rare and special the 93's are and I feel that way about mine too. But what good is it to have it if you cant take it out and drive it and enjoy it! It doesnt pay to be so protective of it. It is wasting away and like another person said, your gonna be dead and some other person is going to drive it and enjoy it!

Its hard for me to take mine out sometimes, but once its out I love driving it and pushing it. I too didnt want to do the mods thing, but hell it can always be changed back to stock if I wanted too. Let someone else keep theirs as a collectors car and fetch a huge price for it. I dont plan on ever selling mine so the minor bolt on mods I have done or will do only enhance the car for me!

Drive it man, dont regret not driving it once its gone or your ability to drive it is gone! Doesnt have to be everyday, but get out there and drive it some!

stangbear427

Established Member
Agreed... I'm probably closer to the center of this discussion than I've come across. I don't believe they should all be shrink wrapped and stored away for posterity, but having to drive it every day because it was purchased as a daily driver is making me sick. It was already close to 100K or I wouldn't have bought it, but I'm distressed at how fast it's shot to 120K; and while it still looks like a 20K car, I know it only does because it was never a daily driver until I bought it. It's pristine days are numbered. I think I'm procrastinating about modding it because of buyers remorse: somewhere in the back of my mind I can't dismiss the possibility that someone will make me an offer on it I can't refuse so I can go find what I really wanted- "just another GT"- which I wouldn't think twice about driving in the snow and hammering to my hearts content. I really have nothing against driving (or modifying) these cars, or even piling up the miles necessarily. Mine was a fantastic example at 99K, but only because all those miles were day trips to shows, Sunday recreation and winter storage. That isn't the life it has with me at all, and IMO that's the life it deserves.

sled

Established Member
There is a local 1971 Mach 1 with a 429 that I see at shows. It is an original owner car, with about 350K miles. Yes, thats right. It was his daily driver for 17 year or so, all while up north. The car had been painted 5 or 6 times, stolen and recovered twice, the car had gotten rusted, had sheetmetal replaced and finally stripped and restored a couple years ago. Thats my kind of guy!

EDIT: just wanted to add that I hope that didn't come off wrong. I was just stating my opinion.

that sounds like one of my buddies. hes got a 64 coupe his grandmother bought brand new. it got passed down to his Dad, then his uncle, now he has it. its been restored twice i think. he has the 289 stored away and now has a 306 in it with a paxton blower. the car itself must have over 200k on it, but its still super clean. now its everything he wants it to be and he can still put it back to stock if he has to. i think a 64 coupe is even more rare than a 93 cobra. :rockon:

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
I had a couple of newer cars and realized that any jerk can spend 35K on a car. But it takes a real car guy to take on a 15, 20, 25 or 30 year old car and make it his own to enjoy and operate.

I finally bought a 93 Cobra that was a theft recovery car, but it looked fine except for a replacement drivers side fender. I have driven the heck out of that car for the last five years. A couple of pieces of garage art have come and gone, including a 95 R Model. I enjoyed those cars, but the daily driven 93 Cobra remains a favorite.

A nice stereo, some edelbrock heads, subframe connectory, good brake pads, and a lot of elbow grease keeps me happy and noticed by real car guys who can recognize a rare fox body when they see one. $7500 bucks plus the mods got me a 65,000 mile car that I am not affraid to enjoy how I see fit!

BiLL1024

Established Member
I was thinking the 93's were rare.
But then I started to see them more and more.
There is a low mile 29,000, low number #23x lives less that 2 miles from me.
He takes it out 3x a year. Seen it for the first time last Fri. night.
Just local, 15 miles or so. There are at least 2 teal 3 black and 2 red. That I know of.
35k mile 93 16,000$
158k mile 93 10,000$
Driving the extra 123,000 miles. PRICELESS.

laz2447

Established Member
Well I was thinking about this more as I was down in the garage messing around and I thought I should share this. I have a neighbor who has a '93 GT. Its green and silver, pony wheels, a BEAUTIFUL CAR! He has alot of money in it as it sits there. Paxton Novi 1000, FMS shorty headers, H-Pipe, Flowmaster 3 Chambers, subframes, alot of time polishing under the hood as well as some other things I cant seem to think of at the moment.

Bottom line...the car has 2,500 miles on it! The car is unreal! I thought mine with 32,000 was low and he just blew me out of the water when I first met him. From that day on I kind of said to myself what the hell am I doing? There will always be a cleaner, nicer car but his GT has seen nothing. Barely a stop light race as he even admits to me! He said he bought it as a drag strip car and had the intentions of making it a straight 1/4 mile car and look at what has happend.

And while I wish I could get my hands on his car, why else would I want to? TO DRIVE IT!

Bottom line is dont let it sit and waste away! Enjoy it the way it makes you happy and take everything everyone has said for what its worth. But there will always be a nicer, cleaner 93 out there. So might as well enjoy yours and be proud of it!

stangbear427

Established Member
That's just it. There won't always be a nicer cleaner one somewhere. Because somewhere, someone currently has the nicest cleanest one. Fact. And if everyone takes the position of treating them like they're no more special then any other Mustang that was made by the hundreds of thousands over the years, the day will come when having the nicest cleanest one won't be saying much. In 1993 alone there were well over 100,000 Mustangs made, and the aerofox had a seven year run. There are 3/4 of a million of them out there in one form or another, and less than 5000 of those were Cobras. I expect to be finding 2500 mile GT's, LX's and four banger coupes in garages for decades to come, but we already know how hard it is in spite of how many were made. Simply by the math, the '93 Cobra should be on the endangered species list... because good clean, low mile Fox bodies in general already are.

mofugr

BIG DADDY
Established Member
I was at a car show in Nashville, TN a few weeks back, I trailered my car from South Florida there. A guy pulls up in a Red Lightning, promptly walks over and asks me if the 93 Cobra is mine. He tells me he has a red one, 7000 miles in heated/cooled storage up on blocks. I asked him why he didn't bring it to the show, he tells me it would have taken too long to get it ready. I thought I was bad, I personally don't drive mine much and it's mostly "garage art" by choice. It's bone stock the way I want it, 22K miles not a perfect car by any stretch but really great condition. That's what's nice about a car, nobody is right and nobody is wrong with what they decide to do with their cars and how much they want to drive them. Difference is what makes the world go 'round.

laz2447

Established Member
Well after putting my .02 in I guess it could best be summed up in this. Do what makes you happy. If letting it sit and only driving it 10 times a year is what does it for you, than thats what you should do. If taking it to the track and bangin the gears is your thing, thats what you should be doing.

At the end of the day it is just a car, but its what the car means to you is what matters. Like someone else said no one is wrong and no one is right. There is only what is right for you!

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I. That's what's nice about a car, nobody is right and nobody is wrong with what they decide to do with their cars and how much they want to drive them. Difference is what makes the world go 'round.

Quote of the year right there !!!

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
Wow, I appreciate all the reponses. I think for me it's a mix of things. My original intentions were to completely mod this thing out and as stangbear427 mentioned, doing that with a lx or gt would have been a better way to go rather than gutting a all original low mile cobra. As much as I would say i'ld never sell it, I know my track record with how I get bored with cars. I know the minute I would cut the sheetmetal I would turn around and try to sell it.

I think the other part is personal in that, life has changed. I'm now 30, married and although I can afford to mod the car, dumping thousands of dollars into it just doesn't seem like the most responsible thing to do anymore (was it ever?, lol.). The funny part is that the wife wouldn't care as long as I pay cash so it's not her brainwashing ;-).

russell333

Established Member
That is what is wrong now. All the 93's are modded out and very few original are left. If you want a cruiser/Racer build one. If you want a keepsake andit worth more money keep it original. I went through them phases of drag racing etc and dumped a pile of money in one but could never get back what I had in it.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
I love the exclusivity about my Cobra that's why I bought it. I also LOVE to drive it and I drag race it at least twice a month and hit at least four road course events a year. In between I show it every chance I get and have a nice collection of awards. I have also been in four magazines so far. SVT built this car to be driven and that is exactly what I do.

Of course to each his own but I cannot IMAGINE just leaving it in a garage for an occasional show that I was afraid to drive it to.

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
Digging an old thread out, but I thought the update was worth the read. I sold the mint cobra i was posting about at the time (sold a couple years ago.. still mint) and just recently bought my old cobra back that I was soooo kicking myself for selling!

Between that time I did get that M3 that I thought would be more fun, (03 M3 carbon black with SMG.. and no it wasn't as fun... upkeep sux). Also had some other performance cars too but something was missing.

So happy to have her back. The same guy owned it the whole time and only put 5k on it in all this time as he had a lot of other rides to drive that he liked more. now it's my old time capsule that I can either just drive or keep on modding!

This one will never be original so I'm thinking........ Game on!

buddha93

Established Member
Digging an old thread out, but I thought the update was worth the read. I sold the mint cobra i was posting about at the time (sold a couple years ago.. still mint) and just recently bought my old cobra back that I was soooo kicking myself for selling!

Between that time I did get that M3 that I thought would be more fun, (03 M3 carbon black with SMG.. and no it wasn't as fun... upkeep sux). Also had some other performance cars too but something was missing.

So happy to have her back. The same guy owned it the whole time and only put 5k on it in all this time as he had a lot of other rides to drive that he liked more. now it's my old time capsule that I can either just drive or keep on modding!

This one will never be original so I'm thinking........ Game on!

I've heard your story many times over. Guys get into these cars and later sell them for something newer or different, only to miss the 93' and either buy it back or find another.

Welcome back.;-)

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Just finished reading this thread through and was about to post my opinion on the matter... before I realized on your last post that it was 3years old - :bash:

So, here is my amended response - welcome back!

WillyB93

Established Member
I have grown attached to my cars like they are my kids since I don't have any. This my enjoyment but do occasionally drive them to shows and like to have conversation about the mustang tradition and introduce people to "my kids"!!!! Good luck and welcome back to the family!!!

Users who are viewing this thread