Sell a mint 93 'cause it's too nice?

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
I bought my second 93 cobra a couple years ago and i'm finding that I don't look at the car the same as I saw my first. My first one had 42k when I got it (97), I modded away and always had to go faster, drove it everywhere and didn't care. I sold it 6yrs later to go on to new things.

A year and a half ago I wanted to get back into it so I bought a almost identical 37k cobra (vibrant red, all options) that was bone stock down to the air silencer (still on stock gatorbacks).

So the car pretty much stays in the garage because i'm worried about rock chips, miles, and dumb drivers drifting into my lane.

Long story short, having a cheap daily driver that I drive all the time sucks when I never drive the car I spend good money on when it just sits in the garage.

Anyone else been through this? I put exhaust on it (took the time to get the stock mufflers off without cutting) but now I am thinking about putting it back on and selling it. For what i'm paying for both cars I could be driving a M3 or something along those lines and now that i'm married I find I have less time for sitting under the hood all weekend.

Sorry so long......

Kevins89notch

Established Member
Well with this topic, every response will be nothing but personal opinions, but...

At some point, you just gotta say "screw it" and enjoy the car. You bought the car to enjoy, right? A 93 cobra thats clean and has 100K can still fetch 10K. You could sell yours for what, 16K? Doing some quick mental math, you could drive your car for 5K miles a year for 12 years, and then hit 100K. Your cobra would have(just tossing out numbers as examples) 6K dollars in value. Thats a cost of $500 a year for 5K miles. So, $.10 a mile, but how much do you enjoy that mile. I can say honestly a mile doesn't go buy that makes me smile in my cobra.

Plus, that whole setup is only if you plan on selling it. I honestly never plan on selling mine. I could let it sit for 30 years, and then tell my grandkids about its once a year car show, and tell them stories of how many times I've changed the oil. Or I could enjoy the car, and tell them stories about taking their grandmother out for a cruise, the time I jumped in the cobra, and drove6 hours to a car show simply because I had the weekend off, show them the 1/4mile slips, etc.

There is a local 1971 Mach 1 with a 429 that I see at shows. It is an original owner car, with about 350K miles. Yes, thats right. It was his daily driver for 17 year or so, all while up north. The car had been painted 5 or 6 times, stolen and recovered twice, the car had gotten rusted, had sheetmetal replaced and finally stripped and restored a couple years ago. Thats my kind of guy!

EDIT: just wanted to add that I hope that didn't come off wrong. I was just stating my opinion.

Last edited:

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
It's a car, stop taking it and yourself too seriously. As said above, all replies are going to be personal opinions. I agree with what was stated by the above poster. I've never understood why some car enthusiasts buy a car, sometimes pump thousands into different types of mods, then park it in the garage for all to admire. Kind of like a conversation piece or something. And then it rarely gets driven because the owner is too scared a bird will shit on the windshield. All too often I see these later model cars being used to simply show off and brag about as a status symbol; I hate it (not suggesting that's your case, I'm just ranting now). Drive it and enjoy it, you only live once. Why save it for some other asshat to enjoy why you're dead? It'll still be nice even if there's rock chips on it. There's plenty of these in wrappers still. :burnout:

Last edited:

stangbear427

Established Member
There is a local 1971 Mach 1 with a 429 that I see at shows. It is an original owner car, with about 350K miles. Yes, thats right. It was his daily driver for 17 year or so, all while up north. The car had been painted 5 or 6 times, stolen and recovered twice, the car had gotten rusted, had sheetmetal replaced and finally stripped and restored a couple years ago. Thats my kind of guy!

Agreed, that guy is my new hero. I hated taking my GT off the road at 260K, I thought I would drive that car forever. I'm on the other side of the fence in this though, just to balance everyone else's opinions so far. Don't get me wrong, my Cobra gets driven every day. However, I've only had it a year and my wife and I have put @20K on it already. It's killing me. I love this car, but I just can't get into it like my GT- the whole "drive it like you stole it" attitude. It was my faithful weapon, I drove it everywhere like I didn't care and it never let me down. But I do care about the Cobra. There were hundreds of thousands of GT's just like mine made in the aerofox era... and only 4993 Cobras. Half of those that are left are crap now. It weighs more and more heavily on me every day that I'm still driving it, still burning away it's youth. I have nearly $15K in parts waiting to go on it, and I haven't turned a wrench for more than oil changes. It's so stock, so clean, I don't want to **** it up- and that's not the kind of car I ever wanted to own. I wish I'd had more patience, looked a little longer for another GT instead of jumping on this Cobra when I came across it, I'd rather have paid the same price for a GT in this condition and had the peace of mind that I wasn't risking something rare and precious every time I look at it.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Enjoy the car how you see fit. Why have the car if you are afraid something will happen to it. Even worse, what if something does happen to it and you didn't get to enjoy it.

For me, the hobby is tinkering with it, makeing it better, and keeping the car clean. Over the last year my car has sat in the yard a lot instead of being driven. this has caused me to consider selling it at least 3 times. I have made it a point to drive it more over the last few weeks and enjoy it everytime.

03cobraracer

Established Member
yeah you really should just drive it and enjoy it.. whats the point of having it if it sits in the garage all the time ya know? these cars were meant to be driven.. as long as u take care of it and keep it nice you will be fine.. i dont have a 93, but my 03 cobra gets driven alot! i put 68k miles on it already, and its got a built motor with a KB now.. and yeah i would like to keep the milage down but i cant stop driving it. its to much fun.. but i still keep it nice and take care of it as much as i can.. is it as clean as a 10k cobra? no... but i enjoy mine unlike some guys who keep them under bubble wrap and stare at theres.. theres just no point, drive that beauty! im planning on building a teal 93 cobra clone next year cause i cant afford a real one, and im gonna drive that one like i stole it to! haha

stangbear427

Established Member
I wouldn't think twice about beating the piss out of a clone either. Or a Terminator for that matter, they aren't exactly rare. Limited production, sure, but I still see them every day... never mind new edge Cobras in general. I can count on one hand the times I've seen another '93 Cobra on the road in my life.

03cobraracer

Established Member
I wouldn't think twice about beating the piss out of a clone either. Or a Terminator for that matter, they aren't exactly rare. Limited production, sure, but I still see them every day... never mind new edge Cobras in general. I can count on one hand the times I've seen another '93 Cobra on the road in my life.

oh i know the 93's are rare, i want one really bad, but the wallet thinks otherwise.lol terminator isnt rare at all i know that, but alot of guys still keep the low milage and pretty, i was just using it as a point saying i could do that to but its no fun.. i like to enjoy my car thats why i bought it ya know..

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
Where in the TC are you from???

I'm a member of SVTOATC are you??

Apple Valley. Not a member but I think I talked to you at the AV ford show 2 years ago. You were showing me the GMP diecast pretty much right when they came out if that was you?

UWISSSH

Underground 93 Guru
Established Member
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm definetly not the type to have garage art, which is probably why i'm having this dilema. I originally got it to completely mod it but just don't know if I could bring myself to deflower this one. Maybe I should have bought one that was already modded and I wouldn't care?

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
Did you mention your paying for both cars? That may be the problem why your not happy bro. If you want a garage queen, buy one when you can pay for it in cash and just let it sit in the garage for a sunny day. I was in the same boat as you awhile back. Now I have the car of my choice sitting and sleeping, waiting for days when I feel like cruisin. You dont feel so guilty when its paid for.

Adower

Established Member
My 93 has got 136k on it. I love it and drive it almost daily. I try to keep it out of the rain though.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member

I disagree. A cobra is a cobra regardless of year. They are meant to be driven and have fun with. If I agreed with you I would beat the piss out of my 93 before I would a 03-04 because they are waaaaaaaaay more expensive and as bad as I hate to say it, they are twice the car our foxbody's are. I will also say that I am willing to bet their value in general will always be higher. Sure they will come down in price some more but it will level off. Just sit and watch.

I firmly believe that you can modify a car without screwing it up. Just got to make the right choices. Heads, cams, intakes, blowers, and turbos can all be installed and removed without disturbing the car.

If a car person worries or concentrates on value, then he needs to get out of the car hobby and put his money in CD's. He will definitely make more money that way

stangbear427

Established Member
It's not about money, it's about preservation. There may come a day when there aren't anymore clean, solid Terminators, but I don't see it looming on the horizon. That you openly state that you would beat on a '93 before an '03-4 because "they are waaaaaaaaay more expensive" just proves that you are the one concentrating on the value. As far as I'm concerned, if a car person cares more about what a car costs than what it IS, then he needs to get out of the car hobbie himself. This hobbie isn't about dollars and cents. If it is to you, than you can't afford it.

blksnake

Established Member
like he said above i can count on one hand how many times ive seen another 93 cobra on the raod. allways puts a smile on my face when some one comes up and asks if its a real 93 cobra and watching them drool all over it. i moded as i pleased and drive the hell out of mine. after its wore out ill redo the whole thing over again. ive had 01 lightning and a 03 cobra and they didnt come close to the satisfaction i get from driving the 93. DRIVE IT:beer:

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
like he said above i can count on one hand how many times ive seen another 93 cobra on the raod. allways puts a smile on my face when some one comes up and asks if its a real 93 cobra and watching them drool all over it. i moded as i pleased and drive the hell out of mine. after its wore out ill redo the whole thing over again. ive had 01 lightning and a 03 cobra and they didnt come close to the satisfaction i get from driving the 93. DRIVE IT:beer:

speaking of rarity. WHy did you put 03 cobra rims on a 93 cobra lol:bored:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
. That you openly state that you would beat on a '93 before an '03-4 because "they are waaaaaaaaay more expensive" just proves that you are the one concentrating on the value. As far as I'm concerned, if a car person cares more about what a car costs than what it IS, then he needs to get out of the car hobbie himself. This hobbie isn't about dollars and cents. If it is to you, than you can't afford it.

Nope not me, I made my statement based on IF I was worried about retaining value that would be my outlook like that. (that was the way I interpreted your post)

My outlook is drive and enjoy the car. I have done a lot of improvements to my car to make it more enjoyable. (Power, suspension, and brakes)

Users who are viewing this thread