Self-induced Nightmare- tripped my PATS

pridemore54

Established Member
Preface: I'm an idiot. I also don't know much/anything about tuning.

I was trying to check the redline on my cobras tune with my SCT X4 and accidentally started redownloading the same tune. I just kinda shook my head decided to get out while it was doing its thing. When I swung my legs around to get out of the drivers seat, the cable caught my shoe and ripped the plug out mid-download.

This, predictably, locked everything up and the tuner could no longer communicate with the car. Just take measurements like battery voltage.

Props to SCT, I called and they had a guy working with me right away to try and solve it without pulling the PCM/ECU (whatever it technically is on these). Long story short, we couldn't recover it and I had to pull the PCM out and send it to them so they could try it.

Turns out the SCT X4 was fried (this is why the PCM couldn't be recovered in field) and I gotta get a new one. Salt in the wound, they could only recover it with the PATS off, and from what I understand , that means I'm going to require a new tune that turns the PATS off and/or get it to Ford somehow so they can use one of those flashing tools to reprogram all the theft modules back on and working. Either way I'm going to need a new tune here it seems cause they can't recover the one that was on my tuner anyways.

What should my next steps be here? I assume contacting a remote tuner, in which case I have no idea what all I need to help them do their thing.

I currently don't have a way to tow my Cobra to a tuner in person and my setup is a bit more complicated than simple bolt-ons at this point so I don't know how difficult that's going to make things. SCT said they will be sending the computer back with a factory tune, which as I understand, would not only run like crap/if at all, it would certainly be dangerous if I happened to hit boost.

For context's sake, here's the mods that I think all go into tuning the car:
- Gen 4 2.9L Whipple Crusher, 3.5" upper pulley with a 4# lower pulley making ~23.8lbs of boost
- Fore full return fuel system, Twin 465 LPH pumps, 95# injectors, running on E85
- Alky Control Meth Injection
I believe that's all but I will post a full mod list in a comment below in case I'm a bigger idiot than I've already proven and don't understand everything involved with tuning.

brb, gonna go flog myself for causing this.

P.S. I effing HATE anti-theft systems. While this one was certainly my own doing, this is my fourth vehicle across three different brands to have issues with the theft system and it's been nothing but an absolute PITA every time.

pridemore54

Established Member
From looking at the mod list again, I should probably also highlight that she also has an AEM Wideband gauge and 2-step.

Engine:
- Whipple gen4 2.9L Crusher w/ 3.5" pulley
- JLT intake*
- VMP 5" throttle body*
- Car came with an SCT X4 tuner.
- Current dyno tune is for E85 with meth injection. I was told there was no 93 tune however the tuner does have one in its memory. Definitely won't roll the dice on that though.
- Metco 4# Lower Pulley
- Metco Idlers, (1) 90MM and (3) 100mm
- Fore full return fuel system
- Twin 465LPH fuel pumps*
- 90# fuel injectors. I have an installation receipt for them but no idea what brand/model*
- Alky control meth injection
- Lightning Performance heat exchanger
- K&N valve cover breathers.
- Moroso coolant tanks. Powdercoated to match wheels.
- Head cooling mod

Drivetrain:
- Steeda Tri-ax shifter
- Mcleod RST twin disk clutch*
- Torsen T-2R limited diff
- Metco Driveshaft Safety loop
- MSD 2-step

Exhaust:
- BBK 1 5/8" Long tube headers
- BBK high flow catted X pipe
- Borla ATAK catbacks

Suspension:
- Modular Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
- Eibach lowering springs
- Koni "yellow" adjustable shocks
- Weld-in subframe connectors from MM
- Steeda sway bar*
- Polyurethane bushings for subframe, IRS, control arms, front and rear diff mounts.
- Brembo Gran Turismo brake kit with supporting master cylinder and braided brake lines
- Rovo Durban wheels, 18x9 front, 18x10.5 rear. Powdercoated
- Toyo R888r's, 275 front, 315 rear

Interior:
- AEM Wideband Failsafe (Boost/Wideband combo) gauge. Love this thing.
- Driver's side racing harness. Haven't even looked at it to see what the brand is yet
- Aftermarket shift knob.
- Door Sills. Powdercoated to match wheels

pridemore54

Established Member
fetchimage.jpeg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
who did the last tune on it? Are they still around? Most tuners keep custom tune files, they may be able to just adjust the tune for the serial number of the new SCT device and email it over

pridemore54

Established Member
who did the last tune on it? Are they still around? Most tuners keep custom tune files, they may be able to just adjust the tune for the serial number of the new SCT device and email it over
I will contact the previous owner to see if he remembers. Wasn't sure if I should bother him about it or not. He's a cool guy, just hate to bother him months later with questions or what the liklihood would be of them not only still having the tune, but also being able to adjust it for me to both change the serial number for the device and also turn off the PATS in the tune

pridemore54

Established Member
I'd take this as a sign to switch over to the MS3.
That is one of the reasons I made this post, to see if that would be something I should look into while I'm dealing with this mess. I won't lie, I don't really know what the pros to that are yet, but I'm going to start looking into what makes that an upgrade and if I can get use out of it.

01yellercobra

Established Member
That is one of the reasons I made this post, to see if that would be something I should look into while I'm dealing with this mess. I won't lie, I don't really know what the pros to that are yet, but I'm going to start looking into what makes that an upgrade and if I can get use out of it.
I would highly recommend it. Especially with the plug and play option. I wouldn't bother with the narrowband sensors. Just wire in your AEM if you want to keep what you have. Use the MAF option and it's really easy to tune.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Locksmiths reflash PATS all the time
Forscan can also do PATS with the extended license but at this point he needs a tune anyway.

OP I would reach out to the previous owner and ask who tuned it - you may be able to get the file from the original tuner if you give him the POs full name. He could update the serial number of the device and leave PATS off if you wanna go that route.

if you're gonna have to spend a bunch of money the MS3 may be an option. The main drawback imho is the a much smaller tuner network but there seems to be lots of DIY support. I was interested in the MS3 because you can add a flex fuel sensor, traction control etc...

pridemore54

Established Member
Previous owner got back with me and said Premier Performance out in Salt Lake City did the tune.

Called Premier, they seem like some really good people. I explained the situation as best as I could and they said they have the tune still and can rewrite it for the new serial number on the tuner, give me both a PATS on and off version, and email it to me.

Sounded like he wasn't going to ask for any compensation but I told him it was my own damn fault and don't expect them to give me free labor on this. He thought a second and said how about 50 bucks. Idk about y'all but that seems like some grade A service for someone that technically didn't even buy from them or pay for their service.

So... moving on from here. I get the ECU and new tuner back, get the revised tune(s) from Premier and load them to new tuner, install ECU, load non-PATS tune, and pray I haven't effed anything else up. Sound about right?

Also curious if I should go to Ford and try to get the PATS re-enabled. Not sure if the "Theft" light would be always blinking at me or not while driving (which would drive me insane) and not sure how easy it would make it for someone trying to steal the car while it's parked in public. Thoughts/insight?

There's also the option of the MS3/Holley setups that I still need to research. Would I still be able to load this tune from Premier onto one of those or is that not how it works? To be clear, my wiring and tuning experience is basically zero. However I do have a desire to learn, just not while making big dollar eff ups on my car in the process lol.

pridemore54

Established Member
I would highly recommend it. Especially with the plug and play option. I wouldn't bother with the narrowband sensors. Just wire in your AEM if you want to keep what you have. Use the MAF option and it's really easy to tune.
Forscan can also do PATS with the extended license but at this point he needs a tune anyway.

OP I would reach out to the previous owner and ask who tuned it - you may be able to get the file from the original tuner if you give him the POs full name. He could update the serial number of the device and leave PATS off if you wanna go that route.

if you're gonna have to spend a bunch of money the MS3 may be an option. The main drawback imho is the a much smaller tuner network but there seems to be lots of DIY support. I was interested in the MS3 because you can add a flex fuel sensor, traction control etc...
Thank you guys for the insight and recommendations. There is a update above this comment. Flex fuel sensor would be nice..

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
thats awesome about them sending the tune - I would run with that and see what happens.

step 1 - get the damned thing running - with our without pats.

PATS being disabled would not cause a theft light issue to the best of my knowledge.
PATS does it make it a little more difficult but if someone wants it, that won't stop them

aftermarket computers - ms3, holly etc will have to be tuned from scratch

pridemore54

Established Member
thats awesome about them sending the tune - I would run with that and see what happens.

step 1 - get the damned thing running - with our without pats.

PATS being disabled would not cause a theft light issue to the best of my knowledge.
PATS does it make it a little more difficult but if someone wants it, that won't stop them

aftermarket computers - ms3, holly etc will have to be tuned from scratch
Awesome, thank you.

In that case I will probably stick with factory for now until I either have some extra money/downtime to swap it over and deal with the tune, or another large mod that will require another tune anyways.

01yellercobra

Established Member
There's also the option of the MS3/Holley setups that I still need to research. Would I still be able to load this tune from Premier onto one of those or is that not how it works? To be clear, my wiring and tuning experience is basically zero. However I do have a desire to learn, just not while making big dollar eff ups on my car in the process lol.
The SCT tune won't work with MS3/Holley. You would be starting from scratch for the most part. There is a base tune you can work with, but it's not as bad as it sounds.

I've used SCT in the past and like the MS3 a lot better. The theft light does blink for a bit when I first start the car, but eventually turns off. One of these days when I have the dash apart I'll just pull the bulb.

pridemore54

Established Member
The SCT tune won't work with MS3/Holley. You would be starting from scratch for the most part. There is a base tune you can work with, but it's not as bad as it sounds.

I've used SCT in the past and like the MS3 a lot better. The theft light does blink for a bit when I first start the car, but eventually turns off. One of these days when I have the dash apart I'll just pull the bulb.
As long as it does turn off within a reasonable amount of time, I can live with that lol.

And also as long as it doesn't make it crazy easy to steal the car. iirc, part of PATS is what links a chip in the keys to a module in the car right? So someone can't just jerry rig the ignition with a screwdriver to start the car? I'm gonna have to look into it all now.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
yeah....get it running as-is, stock ECM, and do your due diligence on the aftermarket computer. 04Sleeper could even remote tune it for you once you get the ECM/PATS/SCT all lined out.

I feel bad for you dude. What a massive pain in the neck.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
As long as it does turn off within a reasonable amount of time, I can live with that lol.

And also as long as it doesn't make it crazy easy to steal the car. iirc, part of PATS is what links a chip in the keys to a module in the car right? So someone can't just jerry rig the ignition with a screwdriver to start the car? I'm gonna have to look into it all now.

With PATS if the key and pcm codes dont match the ccrm wont send power to the fuel pump. Without PATS if parked say at your house you could always pull a particular fuse or something. There have been cases of people rolling up with a computer and keys programmed to eachother, they swap your computer and drive off in a couple minutes

Users who are viewing this thread