seized caliper?

svtdvm

NEWB
Established Member
I noticed smoke coming from my right rear wheel after a trip to the store and an extreme amount of heat coming from it as well. After a quick inspection, I think I have a seized caliper. Is this the only thing that would cause this? Why would it seize? What else do I need to inspect? Will I need to replace the caliper and rotor?

Thanks
Brad

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
Derek@Amazon said:
caliper isnt locked up then.. every locked up caliper ive seen made the rotor go blue from heat...

if i had to guess your parking brake shoes are not returning....

YUP!

Or could have Siezed Suide Pins int he caliper bracket... my pins siezed up in my SHO and the rear brake dragged like crazy!

svtdvm

NEWB
Established Member
Derek@Amazon said:
caliper isnt locked up then.. every locked up caliper ive seen made the rotor go blue from heat...

if i had to guess your parking brake shoes are not returning....

I never use my parking brake. My Q-form speaker panels prevent this.

bda1855 said:
YUP!

Or could have Siezed Suide Pins int he caliper bracket... my pins siezed up in my SHO and the rear brake dragged like crazy!

What causes this? Dirty, rusty?

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
^^^Age and use.

If the caliper is siezed then the inner pad will be worn more than the outer pad. If the outer pad is worn more than the inner pad then it's a siezed caliper slide pin.

Make sure to check the back side of the rotor for evidence of overheating as well as the front side.

svtdvm

NEWB
Established Member
RIDE THE said:
^^^Age and use.

If the caliper is siezed then the inner pad will be worn more than the outer pad. If the outer pad is worn more than the inner pad then it's a siezed caliper slide pin.

Make sure to check the back side of the rotor for evidence of overheating as well as the front side.

From the looks of the outside rotor surface, the pad hasn't been touching much. The surface looks more rusted than the rest of the rotors. I have not had a chance to look at the inner rotor surface yet.

The truck only has 18K on it. Oh yeah, and I've only done 3 burn outs and that was over a year ago.lol

I did however do a brake job on it about 500 miles ago.

Last edited:

svtdvm

NEWB
Established Member
RIDE THE said:
^^^

I take it back, with 18k on an 02..............age and NO use.

lol. I don't get out much.

Derek@Amazon said:
did you re lube the slider pins?

Yes, and the pin and the boot that covers it all moves freely.

Well, I don't know. The caliper came off with no problem. I was able to press the piston back in with no problem. The only thing I noticed unusual was that after pressing the piston all the way in, it didn't stay. It moved back out a few mm. It would not stay pressed in all the way. The pads didn't look bad either. Just the edges had some flakes that formed after the moltant pad material cooled. Also the the e-brake was not engaged either. Everything turned fine. Guess I'll just replace the caliper and see what happens.

Last edited:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
The seal could have rolled over which might be way it's moving back out after it's compressed.

Caliper sounds like a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread