Secondary Rreturn Spring on Billetflow TB

MG01GT

Established Member
Ok after fighting a long battle with this hanging idle with my BF throttle body, I have set the TPS, done the adjustments recommended by BF, cleaned the IAC and everything else under the moon with out having to go with the return spring just yet. Im just going to bite the bullet and do it. My question is for you guys that have done this, where did you get yours at, and what size and length did you use? I have spotted a couple ways to do it just by looking at my KB 2.2 but would like some recommendation's as well.

cj428mach

Established Member
Why not call Doug at Billetflow and let him tell you how stupid you are for not making it work.

Thats what he did to me on a Billetflow throttle body that had issues. Funny thing is I could put my accufab on and have no high idle issues.

My suggestion is to sell it, maybe someone with a built motor can use the extra air at idle.

MG01GT

Established Member
Why not call Doug at Billetflow and let him tell you how stupid you are for not making it work.

Thats what he did to me on a Billetflow throttle body that had issues. Funny thing is I could put my accufab on and have no high idle issues.

My suggestion is to sell it, maybe someone with a built motor can use the extra air at idle.

LOL.... Trust me if this doesn't work its coming off for a Ported stocker or LFP. Its a gorgeous looking piece but this hang idle has been killing me.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
You can get the springs at Lowes.

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/engine.htm#Throttle_body_&_plenum_

TB%20spring%20mounted.jpg

stangfreak

Established Member
Ok after fighting a long battle with this hanging idle with my BF throttle body, I have set the TPS, done the adjustments recommended by BF, cleaned the IAC and everything else under the moon with out having to go with the return spring just yet. Im just going to bite the bullet and do it. My question is for you guys that have done this, where did you get yours at, and what size and length did you use? I have spotted a couple ways to do it just by looking at my KB 2.2 but would like some recommendation's as well.

did you set the idle screw correctly? The return spring will do nothing. Absolutlely nothing for high idle. The only time we used the return spring was when we had the accufab throtle bodies and wanted it to feel like a stocker. Meaning, making the throttle travel feel more consistant and "longer".

Lots of these aftermarket throttle bodies will hang high. Me and my friends all fixed it by adjusting the idle screw. Yes, the billetflow is a gorgeous piece. It makes the accufab look and feel like a toy. You also have to understand the throttle cam on the billetflow, especially the revised one, the gen 2, is similar to the ford oem. The pedal height stays the same, you dont need to modify or buy "kits" to make it feel and work properly, your throttle cable wont jump off the cam like the accufab ( which is why certain people report a shorter throttle travel ) There are so many threads about the accufab and its drivability issues that were discovered before any of these members even owned a cobra. so its not my imagination lol. Theres issues. High idle most all do it. accufab had high idle and other issues. mustang magic, the shop who built snake bite, did so many testings with these things. people who wanted the accufab they would install them. Anyone who had issues or felt the car drove funny, not like stock, shorter throttle feel, etc, all went to the billet flow and problems solved. Its not just me.

It looks like doug removed the throttle body information. But he explained the benefits of his new throttle cam and how it matched and worked just like the ford oem piece. sometimes oem is the best and if you can match it to that, its a home run. BF > accufab... all day. Just my opinion and watching these cars get modded for 13 years at the shop.

If you sell it ill take it off your hands. Ill gladly take it off your hands lol.

stangfreak

Established Member
I remember with my car, when it was hanging high, I was able to push the throttle back by hand and it would come down. idle perfect. so yes it was hanging. I just pushed the screw forward to make it hit the throttle cam and my idle issue was solved.

MG01GT

Established Member
Yes I have messed with the idle set screw. I have had the car warmed up and running and backed the screw all the way from the linkage and it still idles at around 1100-1200. The secondary return spring did help a little with the hang idle but it's still there sometimes.

I agree with all that you have posted about it though otherwise. The throttle feel is spot on I had no issues with the TB other than the high idle and hang idle. Like I said I have messed with TPS voltage and what not. I need to take her for a drive to maybe help the pcm relearn and see if that does anything. But if not your first 8n line for it if you want it. I can live with a ported stocker because I'm not going to be racing the car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

cj428mach

Established Member
Yes I have messed with the idle set screw. I have had the car warmed up and running and backed the screw all the way from the linkage and it still idles at around 1100-1200. The secondary return spring did help a little with the hang idle but it's still there sometimes.

I agree with all that you have posted about it though otherwise. The throttle feel is spot on I had no issues with the TB other than the high idle and hang idle. Like I said I have messed with TPS voltage and what not. I need to take her for a drive to maybe help the pcm relearn and see if that does anything. But if not your first 8n line for it if you want it. I can live with a ported stocker because I'm not going to be racing the car.

Don't waste a lot of time waiting for it to learn the idle. Thats why Doug called me an idiot because I wouldn't waste my time driving the car for a month like I was instructed to do in order for it to learn the idle. Once the timing and the IAC duty cycle has bottomed out it isn't going to get any better. You can watch this via datalog.

MG01GT

Established Member
Don't waste a lot of time waiting for it to learn the idle. Thats why Doug called me an idiot because I wouldn't waste my time driving the car for a month like I was instructed to do in order for it to learn the idle. Once the timing and the IAC duty cycle has bottomed out it isn't going to get any better. You can watch this via datalog.
Yeah this is kinda what I'm thinking too.... at this point I'm just really think it's time to call it what it is and I have a car that doesn't like a SBTB period.

cj428mach

Established Member
Yeah this is kinda what I'm thinking too.... at this point I'm just really think it's time to call it what it is and I have a car that doesn't like a SBTB period.

I wouldn't agree with that, you just need a better quality one.

keith89

Established Member

There's your problem right there. You aren't setting the idle stop screw correctly if you are just backing it out. I'm guessing you haven't actually gotten any proper instructions. The idle is hanging because the ecu has learned the throttle closed position to be completely closed. You want the throttle to be slightly open. The reason why it is hanging is because the engine is trying to suck in air and is holding the throttle body open slightly.
When the idle is hanging, screw in the idle adjustment screw just past where it touches the throttle plate. Then turn the car off, disconnect battery for 15-20 min and try it again. That should get you close. If it still hangs, it won't be as bad as before and you can just do the same thing again until you get to the right spot. I went through this with the dragon throttle body. It may not make sense at first, but you have to remember that the engine is trying to suck in a certain amount of air through the path of least resistance. The IAC can only flow so much air, so you have to let some through the throttle body. If you have the throttle plate completely closed off at 0% throttle, it will be held open by the rushing air.

MG01GT

Established Member
There's your problem right there. You aren't setting the idle stop screw correctly if you are just backing it out. I'm guessing you haven't actually gotten any proper instructions. The idle is hanging because the ecu has learned the throttle closed position to be completely closed. You want the throttle to be slightly open. The reason why it is hanging is because the engine is trying to suck in air and is holding the throttle body open slightly.
When the idle is hanging, screw in the idle adjustment screw just past where it touches the throttle plate. Then turn the car off, disconnect battery for 15-20 min and try it again. That should get you close. If it still hangs, it won't be as bad as before and you can just do the same thing again until you get to the right spot. I went through this with the dragon throttle body. It may not make sense at first, but you have to remember that the engine is trying to suck in a certain amount of air through the path of least resistance. The IAC can only flow so much air, so you have to let some through the throttle body. If you have the throttle plate completely closed off at 0% throttle, it will be held open by the rushing air.
Yeah that makes sense. I'll give it a try this evening and give you a report back. Appreciate the info!!!

Users who are viewing this thread