Second opinion

marksar

Established Member
Ok, I know this is long, and I apologize, but all of this stuff has happened over the past 3 years now so alot has gone on and I want to be as descriptive as posssible. I have a '96 Mystic and back in '06 I developed a leaking head gasket, when you gave it gas you could see small bubbles come up in the radiator and it would run pretty warm but never overheated. So I took it as an opportunity to hopefully rebuild the motor with some forged internals since the car already had around 125k miles anyway if figured it was close to that time. Well Im in the miltary and was slotted to go into Basic Training in September '06 and unfortunately fell short of time and money by the time I had to leave, so the car has been sitting in a warehouse my dad has back home for the past 3 years. The only thing that I was able to get done was pulling everything and some headwork. Well little did I know but this past time when I was in Iraq my dad and a buddy of his (who is a long time Ford Tech but first time with a Cobra motor) took it upon themselves to fix my car for me while I was gone with the intention of giving it back to me when I got back. Well they got it all back together after taking the block in to have it checked out, which they were told was good, and when they went to turn it over just to prime it, from what I am told I wasnt there when it happened, after a few seconds of turning it built up pressure and blew it out the radiator. My dads friend thinks that maybe its the block and that the machine shop checked for level one way across the block but not the other and the block is bad but really hasnt looked into it yet.

Im hoping thats not it and asking for some helpful tips onto what else it could possibly be and if there is anything they could do to check and narrow down the possible causes before they tear back into it because its really got me worried now. From my first Mustang since I was 16 to my last Ive always bought them and fixed them on my own with my own money. The fact that they went through all this trouble shocked the hell outa me and really means alot to me and I just hope it wasnt for nothing because the fact that it may be has really got me tore up. So any advise would be helpful guys. Thanks :??:

Last edited:

mysicman

Resident Pill Pusher
Established Member
What do you mean by "blew it out the radiator"? Was it a total rebuild or were the heads just done? I'm certainly not an engine expert but there are some really sharp guys on here. If you give more specific info on whats been done they might chime in with some thoughts. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Mike

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
damn dude. that makes me wish i knew what i was talking about as far as motors. i'm sure someone will help you out. i've gotten tons of help over little problems. just keep checking your thread and like mysticman said, you should be more specific. good luck.

ksigatmsu7f02

Established Member
The only experience I have that sounds like what your talking about was on a Chevy 350....he thought had a blown head gasket...got the heads and block decked to seal better....didnt pay the 40 bucks to check for cracks and ended up a cracked block.....right allong the deck....when you heated up the block you could see the crack open a bit...If you could put some uv dye in the water and if you were able to crank it over to circulate it you could pull the head that you thought blew the gasket and check with a blacklight and you very possibly could see a hairline crack if that is the case....

marksar

Established Member
What do you mean by "blew it out the radiator"? Was it a total rebuild or were the heads just done? I'm certainly not an engine expert but there are some really sharp guys on here. If you give more specific info on whats been done they might chime in with some thoughts. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Mike

It turned for a few seconds and after it built up some compression it released all the compression into the cooling system and it blew out through the top of the radiator. It was a total rebuild. When I left it was a bare block, so they would of had to rebuild it. Are these blocks able to be decked or are they already maxed out?

tt54l32v

Established Member
if it blew out the rad it has a rather large combustion leak. my first guess is head gaskets, could be one or both are on backwards,upside down or whatever. or they could have tore them. up next is a cracked head followed by a cracked block.
bypass the rad with a pipe just to seal the cooling system
pull all spark plugs out
pressurize the cooling system
look all around the heads on the outside for water leaking, while your looking make sure the head gaskets are in there
look in all cylinders for water if you cant see any spin the motor over and see if any comes out
if water comes out pull that valve cover and see if it has head bolts and they are all tight
if they tight , pull the heads and look at the gaskets
if they look ok send the block and heads to a good machine shop to be checked

Users who are viewing this thread