Second HDD stops working after accessing it under Linux

TJSwoboda

Established Member
As the title says: I have Linux Mint installed on a 30 GB SSD. I disconnected my main Windows drive, booted in Linux for a few minutes, during which time I listened to some music on the second drive.

Since reconnecting my Windows drive, the second physical drive doesn't show up in disk management (either pane on the right), but it still shows in the BIOS. Any ideas, SVTP IT folks?

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Here's exactly what I'm experiencing:
NoDrive1.jpg

NoDrive2.jpg

Is this like having simultaneous tea and no tea? (sorry, BAD nerd joke...)

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Try a 'scan for hardware changes' in device manager? or right there in disk management, under 'action' try 'rescan disks.'

Last edited:

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Did you try unplugging the HD power and turning it back on? Has worked for me before
I'm fairly sure I did, but I'll try it again in a minute...

Try a 'scan for hardware changes' in device manager? or right there in disk management, under 'action' try 'rescan disks.'
I'm still running XP (want to replace it with Linux), and I'm not finding that action in device manager or disk management.

A friend on another board suggested that the SATA mode in my BIOS may have been switched to ATA emulation (causing the optical drive to mask the existence of my WD 2 TB HD), and that it should be set to AHCI. Setting it to AHCI, as seen below, causes the computer to reboot as Windows tries to start.

NoDrive3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread