Sebring last weekend.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I ran another weekend at Sebring this past weekend with Chin. It was hot (~90*) both days and I was on almost-dead GY F1's. Also, I left the brakes untouched from Daytona with Hawk DTC60's on factory rotors. The heat the Hawks generate is cracking the factory rotors and I will be changing this up for Road Atlanta in late-June (taking a break in May).
Anyway, ran lots of :33's, but honestly wasn't pushing the car much because of the heat and tires. The final "pucker moment" was Sunday. After no problems with the brakes all weekend, and the new air diverters apparently doing a fine job of cooling them, I noticed some fade going into T7 which got progressively worse but not before I hit my turn-in. I ran through T8-T9 and lifted a bit to brake early into T10 just in case. Well...the pedal basically went to the floor. Thankfully I wasn't doing the ~117 I usually am into the braking zone, but only ~105. I got turned the car hard right to get it sideways and up and over the right side strips onto the dirt. I kept it sideways across the track, over the outside rumble strip and into the dirt, where it came to rest ~10-15' from the tire barrier and wall. Whew.
Other than lots of dust, and a little scuffing of the driver's side of the side of the splitter, no damage other than a slightly deflated tire.
yfi0.jpg

That's a pile of dirt in the backseat. The entire interior is covered with a fine layer of dirt and dust...my detailer is going to have the car for at least a few days.
8oirg.jpg

Here's part of a session. Unfortunately, the session with the off-track excursion, the GoPro died 5 minutes into it. :rollseyes
[youtube_browser]QEKXNIg36rQ[/youtube_browser]
S.

Van@RevanRacing

Nice work bud. Sounds like the brake fluid was done. Did it just go to the floor or did you pump the brake pedal to try and get it to come up?

Thankfully you just have a dirty car and a crazy off track excursion under your belt.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Nice work bud. Sounds like the brake fluid was done. Did it just go to the floor or did you pump the brake pedal to try and get it to come up?

Thankfully you just have a dirty car and a crazy off track excursion under your belt.
I pumped it a couple of times, but it did virtually nothing.
Going to a set of RB Racing rotors front and rear. With the Hawks and the additionally cooling on the car now, I hope that's going to be the ticket for heavy track use. I was running :31's last time out at Sebring, so didn't get any quicker, but it was overall a good weekend.
S.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Brakes are a real PITA. I have had similar situations. I don't know of any sure-fire cures. Items that definitely help with brakes are braided lines everywhere instead of rubber lines. Bleed brakes often. Currently I am running Motul. The best I have ever used was Castrol SRF but it is like $70/container. Good pads that bite so you can get on them and off. The longer time spent "in contact" with less aggressive pads creates more heat. Hit the brakes and get off them. COOL AIR. Definitely ducts. No drilled rotors--they are cool to look at but crack. And when they start getting soft back it down so you can still make a corner if the pedal goes to the floor. If they don't come back after a few corners and pumping them head to the paddock.

Tom

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
Had the same situation with my last year at the same track, I have the car to the instructor so he could show me the line and we got a McLaren and when we were about to pass him...the brake pedal went all the way down, my valves burst and all the brake fluid boiled over my rims and the calipers...thank God the instructor drifted the car on the turn and nothing happened.

Lesson, even if you have good brake fluid which I did RBF 660. Change it before any race or track day.

Regards,

Manuel

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
There comes a point where just changing brake fluid and pads isn't enough. I run RBF660, Hawk pads, stainless lines, and custom made air deflectors that direct lots of air at the rotors and calipers. At a certain point, even that is not enough.
I am moving to Racing Brakes 2-piece rotors and titanium caliper spacers.

FWIW...I have now seen 4 ZL1's or 1LE's with brake problems on-track. There was a 1LE there on Saturday that left the track with plumes of smoke pouring out of the left front.
S.

SteveWK

Established Member
Same thing happened to me. Peddle went to the floor but I didn't go off track. That and in a separate incident putting two wheels off the track has me seriously thinking about very limited track duty. The last think I want to do is wreck the car.

Glad you are ok and your car had minimal damage.

Steve

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Losing the brake pedal is not a good feeling. I'm glad nothing happen.

Are you running the track with Advancetrac mode 6 on or off?

What type of pads do you have on the rear?

Thanks for posting the video!

Last edited:

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Mode 6, foot on brake double tap TC button. So TC is off and Stabilitrak is in "Sport" mode.
I have also run the car a number of sessions with everything off with little benefit.

Hawk DTC60's on the rear too.
S.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Mode 6, foot on brake double tap TC button. So TC is off and Stabilitrak is in "Sport" mode.
I have also run the car a number of sessions with everything off with little benefit.

Hawk DTC60's on the rear too.
S.

Your right mode 6. :) It only held me back a few times and probably keep me out of trouble.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Had the same situation with my last year at the same track, I have the car to the instructor so he could show me the line and we got a McLaren and when we were about to pass him...the brake pedal went all the way down, my valves burst and all the brake fluid boiled over my rims and the calipers...thank God the instructor drifted the car on the turn and nothing happened.

Lesson, even if you have good brake fluid which I did RBF 660. Change it before any race or track day.

Regards,

Manuel

What do you mean by "my valves burst"?

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread