Seatbelt Laws

Flooznie

Nuclear Reactor Operator
Established Member
This is a question I've been wandering about. In Hawaii if you are caught not wearing a seatbelt, you can receive a 87 dollar ticket. (The click it or ticket program). However, if you are in a truck with the passenger compartment full, you are permitted to ride in the bed of the truck.

My question, why don't you have to wear a seatbelt if you are sitting in the back of a truck? I know this sounds stupid, but why is it ok to ride in the back of a truck, but if you are in the passenger compartment, you need a seat belt? I know a seat belt is supposed to save lives and restrain you, but what is restraining someone in the bed of a truck, that is perfectly legal to ride in Hawaii?

Paul

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I would agree, it sounds like your state needs to amend the law regarding passengers in the bed of a truck. Here in California that will net you a tidy fine as the passenger, as well as a fine for the driver.

Flooznie

Nuclear Reactor Operator
Established Member
I live on O'ahu. Maybe its 92 dollars here. I just know that it was 77 dollars some time ago, then it went up!

Paul

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
I suspect that my state and your state have similar laws in this regard. If all of the seat belts in the cab are in use, passengers may ride in the back. This is common here to this day, in agricultural areas, where an entire crew will get in one standard cab pickup. As to ammending the laws, what point is there? Given a choice between making two trips or riding in the back of a truck, I guarantee you that 90% of people are going to choose to ride in the back, road trips or freeway stints excepted. Even if its illegal.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Over the years I have worked several accidents involving trucks with passengers in the back, one was a farm labor contractor with six fatalities. In fact, that accident helped pioneer the new laws regarding farm labor transport vehicles here in California.

Nothing like seeing a fourteen year old child launched from the back of a pickup and into opposing traffic to make you feel seatbelts are not an option and only a fool allows passengers in the back of their vehicle.

In a front end collision those passengers in the truck bed become projectiles, plain and simple.

I personally don't care if you want your friends and family members to become part of the scenery when you have to stop suddenly or hit an object, however I don't want them bleeding all over my nice, clean vehicle.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
You can recieve a citation for failure to wear your seatbelt in wisconsin but if you have a vaild motorcycle license (Not Learners permit) you can ride without a helmet.

Am I the only one that thinks that is bull shit?

Also, a Seatbelt ticket in wisconsin for an adult driver is $10, and passengers over the age of 16 can ride in the bed when the cab is full.

Last edited:

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
Lawfficer said:
You can recieve a citation for failure to wear your seatbelt in wisconsin but if you have a vaild motorcycle license (Not Learners permit) you can ride without a helmet.

Am I the only one that thinks that is bull shit?

Also, a Seatbelt ticket in wisconsin for an adult driver is $10, and passengers over the age of 16 can ride in the bed when the cab is full.

never understood that one. kansas has the same laws. seems the motorcycle lobby is quite strong there. "let those that ride decide".

Users who are viewing this thread