Seat recommendations

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
I've heard great things about the recaro pole positions, but I'm not sure of any direct competitor/equivalent seats that are out there.

What do you all run and recommend for an intermediate/advanced(in his dreams) driver?

Sirl

Established Member
I'm on the larger size, I use the Sparco Evo 3
I like it, but it could use more upper body support, imo.

Admiral

Established Member
If you want easy in/out then I recommend Sparco Evo series, I've had good luck with mine. You don't mention what type seat belts you plan on using, 5/6 pt or you sticking with the stock setup?

If you want a road racing seat with no sliding around then I recommend the Ultrashield halo or one of the Kirkey road racing seats.

DevilSun

Established Member
I'm on the larger size, I use the Sparco Evo 3
I like it, but it could use more upper body support, imo.
Interesting, I've wondered for quite some time on how well these Evo 3's fit into the Mustang. I thought they would be too wide or something...any issues?

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
I plan on getting 5 or 6 point harnesses (whichever is safest, etc). I'm fairly small (5'8, 140 lbs) and nimble enough to get out of tough spots, but I want a seat that can keep me planted without much (if any) effort.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I picked up a set of used Hunsaker's a few years back. Big in off road and circle track, these are their more street-frendly seats. Mine look like this but with cloth insert.
Not a racing seat, but good for a dual-purpose car.

mustangseats007zk7.jpg

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
Seat decision is based on a few different things, but mainly being choose a seat that fits you. Sit in a bunch and see which one is semi-comfortable and holds you in place. If you are looking at the pole position, a lot of different seats fit into your budget. The Evo 3 is a great seat and I like it, but also like the Kirky Road Race seat.

ShadowFist

Wave Existence
Established Member
One small problem is that I don't have anyplace close that I could try some seats out at.

I don't want to spend any more than I 'have' to (point of diminishing returns kind of way) but I also want to survive that freak accident if (when) it happens.

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
One small problem is that I don't have anyplace close that I could try some seats out at.

I don't want to spend any more than I 'have' to (point of diminishing returns kind of way) but I also want to survive that freak accident if (when) it happens.

Can you go to a local track day and ask to sit in people's cars? I know it sounds kinda random, but it is a great opportunity to try out as many as possible.

As far as the surviving part, a seat isn't going to save you in an accident. While it will allow you to properly route a harness, you will need a properly installed roll cage if you are concerned with that little "surviving" thing:-D I got pummeled in a race and was in a stock seat with a 5 point. No bumps or bruises due to the quality construction of the cage.

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Can you go to a local track day and ask to sit in people's cars? I know it sounds kinda random, but it is a great opportunity to try out as many as possible.

As far as the surviving part, a seat isn't going to save you in an accident. While it will allow you to properly route a harness, you will need a properly installed roll cage if you are concerned with that little "surviving" thing:-D I got pummeled in a race and was in a stock seat with a 5 point. No bumps or bruises due to the quality construction of the cage.

Agreed. Since everyone is not shaped the same, sit in as many seats as possible before purchasing one.

-Kevin

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have the Cobra Clubman seats in my fox body. I don't slide around at all. They are a fixed back style and only weigh 16lbs. The only small gripe is that the hight bolsters make it a little more difficult to get in and out. But once in, they are comfy and no sliding around.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the Corbeau TRS seats and while they are quite comfy for everday driving, I'm not too happy with them as the side support is lacking for spirited drives around corners.
I recently sat in a Recaro Pole Position and felt much much better, better support, better shape as well. the Corbeaus shoulder bolster kinda gets in my way when shifting, I'm really short and have the seat almost on the farthest forward position though, so this might be the reason for my problems.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Will do. I should have a HPDE coming up this month so I'll see what I can do.

Thanks all!

Do yourself a favor when you go around and sit in cars. Take a camera or a pen/paper with you and take notes. I had to sit in my Evo 2 seats about three times on various occasions before it finally stuck in my head they were the ones I kept liking.

-Kevin

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
I have the Recaro Cobra R seats in my 98 cobra. They're great seats for HPDE and very comfortable for the street, but the side bolsters don't hug you as tight as some fixed-back race seats.

Users who are viewing this thread