Seat Difficulties

NJCobra96

Established Member
Hello All,
I'm looking to get my Driver Seat recovered in my 96 (saddle color)....went to 2 upholstery shops yesterday, and was told the same thing...can't be done, due to it being a "molded seat". I was advised to get a new seat from a salvage yard...???....and those seats will be in better shape??? I have seen kits on CJ Pony Parts and LMR, but skeptical about the outcome of a DIY....and they come in complete sets. My other seats are in very good condition. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks and have a great holiday weekend!

NJCobra96

Established Member
Thanks Tillerman....really trying to stay away from the kits....but in reality it may be impossible at this point....I'll check it out.

NJCobra96

Established Member
What about doing it on these "molded" seats 98svt? Hate to spend hundreds of $$ and get hung up on the installation process...

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
What about doing it on these "molded" seats 98svt? Hate to spend hundreds of $$ and get hung up on the installation process...

You mean the OEM sn95 seats?
Its no different. Remove all the c lips (or whatever they are called), slide off upholstery, remove old foam. Then the reverse.
Sliding the new upholstery on over the new foam can be a bit tough. Be patient. There's all kinds of vids on youtube too.

NJCobra96

Established Member
Thanks....may be my only choice...it would be nice to only get the driver's side kit....others would be a waste of money.

NJCobra96

Established Member
Was thinking the same thing when told this.....the only problem is an upholsterer in this area (Southern NJ) are far and few.....the search continues....

Tillerman77

Established Member
You mean the OEM sn95 seats?
Its no different. Remove all the c lips (or whatever they are called), slide off upholstery, remove old foam. Then the reverse.
Sliding the new upholstery on over the new foam can be a bit tough. Be patient. There's all kinds of vids on youtube too.
Are you thinking of hog rings?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
The reason your upholsterer is telling you that it can't be recovered is because from 94-98, for whatever reason, the leather was glued to the foam. You have to replaced the foam at the same time, hence why you can't just chuck a new cover on.

TMI makes nice kits for refurbishing 94-98 seats. I would suggest looking into that.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
The reason your upholsterer is telling you that it can't be recovered is because from 94-98, for whatever reason, the leather was glued to the foam. You have to replaced the foam at the same time, hence why you can't just chuck a new cover on.

TMI makes nice kits for refurbishing 94-98 seats. I would suggest looking into that.

How close to OE are these? My driver's seat is starting to show wear in my 98.

Ive been on the fence, either try TMI or find a nice set of recaros. I have them in my FoST and they've kinda grown on me. But prefer the OE look on the Cobra.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

scottydsntknow

Established Member
They are identical to stock seats, I did them in my 98. I'll have to jump on tapatalk here in a min and find pics on my phone. However... if you are not comfortable with tackling DIY like this or just don't want to spend $1k I'd go with the SVE seats that LMR sells.

As far as those upholsterers... they're dipshits. Even with the glued on leather they can get the old material off, add more foam in any spots that tore off and re-cover. They'd need to add new foam anyway to the existing stuff to make any re-cover fit properly... You don't want them doing your seats anyway if they are too stupid or lazy or incompetent to do that.

What I did was a full color change in my entire interior so I went with a full TMI vinyl GT kit. The vinyl is actually really nice believe it or not but if I was going to do it again I'd do leather and upgrade to Bullitt/Mach/Cobra style foams and covers.

I did my seats with 0 prior upholstery experience and got asked quite a few times what shop did them for me they came out so well. This is more TMI making a product so easy for a weekend car mechanic to tackle than me being super good or something. I did use all my 4 letter words and had pretty sore fingers/hands for a solid week.

Last edited:

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Here we go. Note how for the rear seat you re-use the factory foam that is glued onto the stock upholstery. So if I can get it off with minimal foam damage and use it on new upholstery than any shop sure as hell can.

As far as the wrinkles... I did this in the summer and I just let the car sit out in the sun during the day and all those wrinkles went away pretty quick.

48f13ba19282a071235891f183b5050f.jpg
4f838f330fc235ee4e36eb28112dbe2b.jpg
d46d9be52eaa9f9c1a1ddd1c53db2c47.jpg
87fe8fbceedda69a4733c53a7bce62b2.jpg
fa48d82c5c9e554cf9bc941698744829.jpg
bfb9d251d056fd63d601ca3137543690.jpg
8753b3e7a7e8758227d9f5af565a7604.jpg
55200eaf45c202150c44d681c6c21316.jpg
e9e62b9d8a1b58be68adfbf2ae876c5c.jpg

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Shit, I haven't looked at these pics in a long time... making me want to do it again for my 2000 but with Mach style covers and foams only because I live in Spain now and getting SVE seats shipped here might be dicey and I'd be screwed if MilAir damages them...

edit: Mother effer SVE stopped selling their seats. Probably because they were too good for too little money... figures. Well... Corbeau makes some pretty affordable ones for about $1k but at that price the TMI stuff looks better especially when you can make them look like 03 Cobra/Mach seats...

Last edited:

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Final post before I wind up spamming the shit out of this thread. Sorry... I have not seen many ppl who have also actually done the TMI upholstery themselves.

What I would do is go with this kit

TMI Products 10004350: Stock Seat Upholstery 2003-04 Mustang Cobra Coupe | JEGS

Or if you just need fronts then get them here.

https://lmr.com/products/2003-Mustang-Seat-Upholstery

Regardless get the foams from LMR.

LMR gets you a 6% forum discount so ask a rep about it if you haven't already.

For these unisuede seats it actually does make more sense to get the vinyl because even the OEM seats are only leather on the seating surfaces anyway. If you are getting a Mach/Bullitt set it might make more sense for you to spring for leather.

Last edited:

NJCobra96

Established Member
Great posts! Thanks gentlemen!..CJ Pony has vinyl front bucket kits for 340 bucks …..time to use some 4 letter words!

Users who are viewing this thread