seat belt

magnumxl4

Established Member
i have a a port installed in my right chest for my chemo treatment, when i left the hospital i was told not tho have anything over it including the seatbelt, i also have a card stating that i have a port in my chest. do i have to wear the seatbelt legaly or is this a medical excuse( if they exsit) the reason for not wearing the seatbelt is if it moves the port aroundit can cause serious damage, and set back my treatment alot. didnt know if this was a common thing, or if there were guidelines for the law and exceptions

thanks

dave

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
magnumxl4 said:
i have a a port installed in my right chest for my chemo treatment, when i left the hospital i was told not tho have anything over it including the seatbelt, i also have a card stating that i have a port in my chest. do i have to wear the seatbelt legaly or is this a medical excuse( if they exsit) the reason for not wearing the seatbelt is if it moves the port aroundit can cause serious damage, and set back my treatment alot. didnt know if this was a common thing, or if there were guidelines for the law and exceptions
thanks
dave

Yes you do. It all boils down to being able to drive is a privledge, and not a right. I can understand your concern about it, but it is still required to drive / ride in the car.

My suggestion to you is to wear it, but twist the buckle so that the shoulder strap comes lower arcoss your chest. Pull the belt across your chest like you were going to wear it normally, but make it so there is about 1-2inches of exta reach before you insert it into the reciever. Give the buckle a few twist and then insert it in the reciever.

magnumxl4

Established Member
well i havent been driving and what i am currently doing is putting the chest strap behind my back, basically anywhere on my chest even if its lower, is crossing the tubes that are inside of me which if contact is made is serious problems, so do i have to wear the top or would putting it behind my back still count?

magnumxl4

Established Member
i dont wana not wear a seatbelt but jsut the lesser of two evils in the situation im at great risk for a major injury for wearing one currently, but when i remove the port and tubes i will resume always wearing it

Freedom

Established Member
magnumxl4 said:
i dont wana not wear a seatbelt but jsut the lesser of two evils in the situation im at great risk for a major injury for wearing one currently, but when i remove the port and tubes i will resume always wearing it

I understand, I believe a lap belt is enough to stay legal in most states, but its best to check your state law on this.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
The fine for not wearing a seat belt in your state is 37.00.

http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=1388&q=259430

frankly I would wear the lap belt and if your stopped, leave it in place till the cop gets to the window. Show him your medical excuse and if he writes you a ticket go to court and explain it to the judge.

In the meantime I would suggest you contact your state police and ask them what the law is. I would say call the DMV but I think the state police are a more reliable source.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
RDJ said:
frankly I would wear the lap belt and if your stopped, leave it in place till the cop gets to the window. Show him your medical excuse and if he writes you a ticket go to court and explain it to the judge.

In the meantime I would suggest you contact your state police and ask them what the law is. I would say call the DMV but I think the state police are a more reliable source.

I agree.

Wear the lapbelt and let the upper part of the belt go under your left arm, this will take the belt 8-10 inches away from the port. Additionally after the port is in for a while there is plenty of tissue around it that wouldnt effect it with wearing a seltbelt.

magnumxl4

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
I agree.

Wear the lapbelt and let the upper part of the belt go under your left arm, this will take the belt 8-10 inches away from the port. Additionally after the port is in for a while there is plenty of tissue around it that wouldnt effect it with wearing a seltbelt.

im not driving remember so leaving it under my arm doesnt make if that far away from the port as its on the right side of my chest and that is were the belt is commign from. also since its in my chest there isnt much tissue there to protect it as its mostly above the muscle right below the skin, + the chemo kills white blood cells so makes it harder for my body to heal anything

but thanks for the info guys

dafocaz

da focuzzzz
Established Member
Click It Or Ticket!

Wear The Seatbelt Plz! I Was At Court On Friday And There Was A Guy With The Same Prob. And He Plead Like No Contest, Or Not Guilty, One Of Those, But Any Ways Judge Didnt Buy, So The Guy Is Walking Around With A $180 Ticket, And Looks Like I'm Next, I Got Court Too, So Twist It Or Watever, But Dont Get Stopped, Good Luck! :)

mvcrash

Established Member
Do not wear the seat belt under your arm. The injuries sustained from the belt being under the arm are very serious and can be fatal at low speeds. My recommendation is the find some way to get the belt properly placed over your chest. Use a small pillow or something soft between the port and the belt to make it more comfortable. Make sure you tighten the lap portion very tight and also tighten the chest portion as tight as comfortable. This will reduce your movement during the crash an lessen the injuries. If by chance you are in a crash, if you hit hard enough to damage the port, then the belt probably saved you from a serious chest injury anyway and the damaged port would be the least of your worries.
There ARE medical exceptions to seat belt rules. Contact your DMV to find out what they are and how you get a waiver.
Again, please, do not put the belt under your arm, the belt itself will cause more injury than if you has no belt on at all.

Last edited:

magnumxl4

Established Member
well a damaged port could mean and end to my life, at it woudl rips tubes out of viens and my heart in my chest, it just seems like the reason behind the law is for your safely but in this case a slam on the breaks with the seatbelt on woudl cause moer damage then it would save

GNGREN

Established Member
What about using the belt adjuster from an infant car seat (They can be bought at most Wal Marts.) to turn the belt into a lap belt. It is the little metal clip that you feed the 2 belts through to keep the car seat in place. You could use this to keep the shoulder strap low around you waist. Your are supposed to put them next to the latch but I found they work better on the end. It might be something for you to try out?

picture of clip

mvcrash

Established Member
magnumxl4 said:
well a damaged port could mean and end to my life, at it woudl rips tubes out of viens and my heart in my chest, it just seems like the reason behind the law is for your safely but in this case a slam on the breaks with the seatbelt on woudl cause moer damage then it would save

Understood.
As I stated, there are exemptions. Get a note from the Doctor and contact your DMV.
Please be careful and I hope you get better quickly!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread