Searched and found nothing....plugs for 21psi+ and E85

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
I searched all pages of the Distillery section and couldnt really find anything as far as what heat range spark plug to run. Whats everyones opinion on a Terminator running 21+ lbs of boost and e85 fuel? Is it similar to running regular fuel or does e85 change everything because of the cooling effects? I have been running the NGK TR6's for the past few years and they're working great, ive pulled them out a few times just to check and they always look super clean, almost brand new..LOL. Anyways, im looking to go up a few pounds of boost (21+) so should keep what i have or maybe go one heat step colder?

97snakebite

Established Member
I searched all pages of the Distillery section and couldnt really find anything as far as what heat range spark plug to run. Whats everyones opinion on a Terminator running 21+ lbs of boost and e85 fuel? Is it similar to running regular fuel or does e85 change everything because of the cooling effects? I have been running the NGK TR6's for the past few years and they're working great, ive pulled them out a few times just to check and they always look super clean, almost brand new..LOL. Anyways, im looking to go up a few pounds of boost (21+) so should keep what i have or maybe go one heat step colder?

goto norcalsvtoa.com there is a guy with the sn of Me32 he has done a e85 swap and is pushing high boost on his gt500... holler at him

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
Type Spark plugs in the search comes right up for me.
not a lot of answers, only 2 threads come up and one of them the guy was asking about what plugs with N2O.

goto norcalsvtoa.com there is a guy with the sn of Me32 he has done a e85 swap and is pushing high boost on his gt500... holler at him
i'll have to do that, thanks

I'll probably end up switching to the NGK BR7EF's. Obviously running e85 you shouldnt have to worry about detonation as much but i just want to get the right plug for my boost level.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
John,

Erik and myself have been running the BR7EF plugs gapped right out of the box @ .025-.026. Always had good sucesss.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
John,

Erik and myself have been running the BR7EF plugs gapped right out of the box @ .025-.026. Always had good sucesss.

thanks Kevin, i'm going to pick up a set of those at Summit Racing this weekend.

da2k17

Established Member
with the eaton and n20 the tr6 were breaking up, switched to denso it 24's and it was smooth as can be. im hopping they work with the eaton, n20 and e85....

RFH

Established Member
I would run 1 heat range colder with E85 compared to whatever you would run with gasoline. Because E85 can actually pre-ignite on hot surfaces in the combustion chamber like plugs, valves, carbon deposits, etc.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I would run 1 heat range colder with E85 compared to whatever you would run with gasoline. Because E85 can actually pre-ignite on hot surfaces in the combustion chamber like plugs, valves, carbon deposits, etc.

never heard that one. From all I've researched it seemed to me that E85 was very resistance to pre-ignition and detonation.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
thanks for all the replies, im going to give the BR7EF's a try....gonna go to Summit Racing this weekend a pick up a set of them.

RFH

Established Member
never heard that one. From all I've researched it seemed to me that E85 was very resistance to pre-ignition and detonation.

It has a high octane number which means its resistant to knock, or auto-ignition. But that does not mean its resistant to pre-ignition, aka surface ignition. I found that out the hard way on our schools E85 snowmobile. It had a turbo-charged E85 4 stroke engine and we were only running about 10 psi (with ~9:0 CR) and blew it up. No knock, but would pre-ignite (and got worse as the engine got warm) due to the stock spark plugs being too hot of a heat range . Replaced them with 2 heat range colder, same cal and all was good. Ive seen this a few times.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
This is also why the BR7EF plug works better than the TR6. One heat range cooler and recessed tip both help this.

Users who are viewing this thread