SCT X4 Pre-loaded Tunes

88stangnut

Established Member
Does anyone have any experience using the pre-loaded tunes that come with the SCT handheld tuner? All I have right now are basic mods (exhaust and intake) and dont have the money to drop on a dyno tuning session at this time. Are they worth running or am i better off just running on the stock tune?

WaffleMan

Established Member
I just compared the stock tune to the SCT 91, 93, and race gas tunes in advantage software. Just as long as you are using the correct octane of gas for the corresponding tune you shouldn't have any issue. I ran the SCT 91 tune on my car when I had just an intake/catback but the 91 tune is pretty wimpy, has a little more timing in the low and midrange and less timing at 5000rpm and up than the stock tune. The 93 tune should give you some performance increase if you have 93 in your state. The sct tunes have cat overtemp protection off as well it looks like. I wouldn't worry about a dyno tune until you increase boost.

SixPak

Established Member
I was using tunes from one of the popular canned tune vendors and was happy until I went with headers and high flow cats. I got the obligatory free upgraded tunes with the headers and cats, but kept throwing O2 codes. I tried some new tunes from same vendor but kept throwing codes. I finally bit the bullet and sprung for a Dyno Tune. Picked up 10 more ponies and love the way the car runs now more than ever. Up shifts and downshifts are way more predictable, cold idle easier to live with.
I even tried the 'new-improved tunes' being bandied about. Guess what happened? O2 codes again.:dw: So much for canned tunes. If they work for you, more power to you. They just don't seem to work for me.

'12 Mustang GT. 390rwhp-370rwtq. Mostly stock, Paper filter

Users who are viewing this thread