Sct x3, Powerdex Afx, Macbook Pro...now what?

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
I'm getting some remoting tuning done, but this my first go around with this whole tuning thing. Right now I'm in the market for a wideband, I have my eye set on the afx unit.

Is the Afx Powedex compatiable with the sct x3?

I bought the sct x3 used, so I don't have any other cables where can I get them?

How do I go about datalogging?

Will I be able to data log with the afx?

Also with the Afx unit, is that the only thing I need? Like is it a kit within itself? Meaning I don't have to go buy anything else to make it work?

I think I have to purchase windows for my mac just to even datalog.
I just need some help, so any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

DetroitSVT

Established Member
I'm in the same boat as you. From what I found you really need a PC. I now have one and am buying the LaSota training program. I'm still trying to deiced on a Air/Fuel ratio gauge to buy. I'm unsure if I need one or two due to the fact there is two coil banks on my '97 Cobra.

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
I'm leaning more toward the mtx-1 wideband gauge, and I"m getting firewire cable also. You just wire the firewire cable up to the sct? As far as with the mac idk I may just get a cheap laptop instead or something.

watman02

Established Member
yes the firewire cable gets pluged into the X3 and wired into the wideban analog output.

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
Cool, so after I"m done with all that and I do a pull or two...I just plug the sct back into the computer download the info....done?

Another question is I bought my sct used, so how do I get the program on my computer since I don't have the cd?

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Im running an AEM wideban and am using a firewire cable to plug into the top of the x3 for dataloging purposes its really easy. the AEM wideban can be gotten for like 160$ new and the firewire cable cost me 20$ on ebay.

AEM 30-4100 UEGO Controller Gauge : Amazon.com : Automotive

Hey watman02 is that firewire cable compatable with the Xcal2 as well for datalogging? How did you connect the datalog wire on the back of the gauge to the firewire cable?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'm leaning more toward the mtx-1 wideband gauge, and I"m getting firewire cable also. You just wire the firewire cable up to the sct? As far as with the mac idk I may just get a cheap laptop instead or something.

The AEM is a better piece, I have a new one in box for $150 shipped:rockon:

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
See I get confused with this whole wideband thing, it seem as if some are only the guages and still require an additional hook up or something? Like for example the mtx-1 mention thats it's an all in one setup vs buying a gauge and a wideband system. So if I was to buy the aem wideband would I need anything else to run with it?

watman02

Established Member
no AEM wideban is it just the firewire interface cable to connect to the x3. it has everything else need.

Last edited:

watman02

Established Member
Hey watman02 is that firewire cable compatable with the Xcal2 as well for datalogging? How did you connect the datalog wire on the back of the gauge to the firewire cable?

there is a 5 vol analog output from the wideband that you connect to the firewire cable. then the firewire cable connects to the x3.
I don't know if its compatible for the x2???
I always Datalog with the laptop hooked up to the car!!!
you'll need to set up an analog input into Livewire for it to recognize the wideband then you're good to go.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
there is a 5 vol analog output from the wideband that you connect to the firewire cable. then the firewire cable connects to the x3.
I don't know if its compatible for the x2???
I always Datalog with the laptop hooked up to the car!!!
you'll need to set up an analog input into Livewire for it to recognize the wideband then you're good to go.

How did you connect that analog output wire to the firewire cable, is it spliced in?

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
So I can get an aem wideband guage splice it into firewire cable then I can datalog?

Does it come with the bung already? Where do you guys put the bung at on the exhaust, I have longtubes if that matter.

Last edited:

watman02

Established Member
^yes then once u download livelink from Sct your ready to go.
yes the AEM gauge comes with an o2 bung that u have welded on. or you can use the rear o2 hole that's what i did.

Users who are viewing this thread