SCT X3 doesn't communicate with vehicle

firedog90

Established Member
My X3 will load tunes just fine to the vehicle, but when I try to data log, it doesn't recognize or communicate with the car. It worked fine, then all of a sudden it stopped. I can't data log with the handheld or connecting it to my laptop. With both, it says cannot communicate with vehicle. Using my friend's handheld it still doesn't work. I can use EFI live and HP tuners to datalog and it works just fine. I'm in Houston and was trying to find a shop to tune it tomorrow, but I'm having no luck. Any ideas or has anybody had similar issues and has had them resolved?

SCalla1384

Established Member
Mine did this on the dyno the other day.

I believe the tuner has to be updated. Says return car to stock before doing so.

firedog90

Established Member
Yeah, I'm not having any luck with it. Mine doesn't say it needs to be updated. It already has the latest update. It was doing that the other day even though it had the update but then it started working.

02reaper

Established Member
Do you have the Idatalink Maestro installed with an aftermarket head unit?

02reaper

Established Member
Turn off the OBD2 Communication and that should fix it...

I also had a problem with the unit communicating a couple of days ago. Mine ended up being the Idatalink Maestro connected to my OBD 2 port at the same time as the SCT device....I had to go into the settings and disconnect the Idatalink communication between it and the OBD2 port for the SCT device to communicate with livelink.

This is correct. We don't see the Live Link as the standard dealer scan tool or OBDII diagnostics reader so we don't autodisable when it is present. In our settings you can manually enable/disable OBDII comm so we don't interfere with other devices.

Cheers,

Franchi

Established Member
Do you have the Idatalink Maestro installed with an aftermarket head unit?

Yes I do. I'm thinking that may be the problem.

I know a couple people who have ran into this before and both were running the idatalink with aftermarket hu over on the F150 Forum.

What they did to fix it though or if they did, that I dont recall unfortunately.

02reaper

Established Member
I know a couple people who have ran into this before and both were running the idatalink with aftermarket hu over on the F150 Forum.

What they did to fix it though or if they did, that I dont recall unfortunately.

The fix is in the post above yours....

12V Guy

Established Member
The fix is in the post above yours....

We've also added a fourth setting called Enabled On Demand. If you choose this, we will only communicate with OBDII when you are in the gauges screen. If you exit the screen, we go quiet. However, in this setting, we are not able to alert you if the MIL light comes on or keep accurate fuel economy statistics. This is being pushed live in next firmware release.

Cheers,

12V Guy

firedog90

Established Member
Okay. I'll try to do that. Is there a reason why it will disconnect from the OBD II on its own? I can be driving and it will say that it's been disconnected. There might be something more wrong, but I don't know. I just don't get why it would connect to SCT then all of a sudden quit.

12V Guy

Established Member
Okay. I'll try to do that. Is there a reason why it will disconnect from the OBD II on its own? I can be driving and it will say that it's been disconnected. There might be something more wrong, but I don't know. I just don't get why it would connect to SCT then all of a sudden quit.

It will only give the message "OBDII Disconnected" if we are unable to receive any response from the car. This can happen if the wire connections are intermittent or if your other device is crashing our messages. If the other device tells the car it is a scan tool, and Maestro is on auto-disable, the message you should see is "OBDII Disabled" not disconnected.

Check your wiring, don't use taps, solder onto these wires and insulate well. If that all looks good, run the car for a while without the SCT just to confirm you no longer get the message.

As the other poster said, he needed to disable our communication for the SCT to communicate with Livelink.

Best,

Last edited:

firedog90

Established Member
The wires are soldered and wrapped. It will disconnect when I don't have the SCT connected. I can be driving down the road and it will stop working and say disconnected. The SCT doesn't connect for datalogging so I don't try to connect it. I try using this for monitoring but it doesn't help when it disconnects.

Users who are viewing this thread