SCT Woes; Halpz

Charisma

Established Member
Getting ready to upload a new tune to the car; just want to make sure I understand the current issues going around with SCT before I take any action.

1- The new firmware is the issue that is 'bricking' so many PCM's, correct?

2- Do I need to update the firmware before I upload the new tune or does this not matter?

3- I *have* to return the stock file on the car before uploading another tune?

FYI the car is a 2012 A6.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Unless your tuner specifically told you to return to stock before retuning then just go ahead and select the file and tune.

bmitchell373

Established Member
Go ahead and put new tune on, as long as...

You have stock, current tunes saved on your pc.

You can live without the car till SCT business hours.

And follow all the precautions that go with tuning. Other one I've been doing now, dont know if it helps or not. Is have your tuner plugged into your laptop while in the car. SCT told me this, it will keep power to the tuner as car cycles.

walked_u_hard

Established Member
Do I need to update the firmware before I upload the new tune or does this not matter?
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! yes yes yes yes they released a new firmware last week, to combat bricking computers. (if your car is bricked, call SCT for a recovery file to force your factory tune to the car)

I *have* to return the stock file on the car before uploading another tune?

If you have a tune loaded, you can switch to another tune and not worry about returning to stock, it will over write the current custom tune, doing so will NOT hurt the car.

if your car gets locked, its not your custom tuners fault. Call SCT and bitch to them about their hand held corrupting your factory tune info.

Any time you get new tunes from your custom tuner:
1. return youre car to stock through hand held tuner.
2. ALWAYS check for new firmware in SCT Device Updater. (if you refuse to update your firmware you WILL have your cars computer locked again)
3. load new tunes to tuner from computer.
4. tune your car.

Last edited:

Charisma

Established Member
I'm impatient, I went with my IT instinct and decided to do the following:

1. Did not update firmware
2. Uploaded new tune directly overwriting my previous tune.
3. Enjoyed the piss out of the tune/mods
4. Datalogged
5. Will soon enjoy what I am expecting to be an 11 sec pass. Stock tire, stock stall.

Thanks all.

scott_0

Established Member
only load a tune during SCT business hours. 9-5 EST.
pretty much this/ otherwise return to stock, plug the tuner into your PC> check for updates> if any available, accept updates> load new tunes> flash to ecm> profit

Users who are viewing this thread