SCT Tuner/Timing Dyno

bmitchell373

Established Member
I will be getting to play on the new dyno tomorrow. Since I don't have any custom tunes, I am wondering if anyone has played with the timing adjustments on the handheld?

01bluesnake

Established Member
What tune are you using that you are adding timing to? There is a lot more to a tune, then just adding timing. A lot of small things or experience you need in watching for the right amount. Most custom tunes turn this off or lock out the user to keep from them adding more and melting a piston. Get a custom tune. It's not worth the small gain in power to risk damaging a motor from inexperience. I've been tuning my cars with PRP and am still worried on my 5.0. Ive also tuned and played with many other cars and stand alone systems.

bmitchell373

Established Member
I have the SCT handheld. I am running the strategy tune and I have the option to add timing in it. I have ordered my Pro Racer 3 software to do a proper tune on the car. Im just asking if anyone has added timing this way. I will be data logging to watch knock, so I am not worried about the engine.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Knock is only one way of watching for timing concerns and at that point you are to far. You have to read a dyno graph and watch how power is made with the added timing. I suggest getting the Lasota racing dvd and get a Greg banish book. Read and reread, then play with the tune so you understand what you are doing. These cars platforms are very very different from any other 4.6 maps.

04compgt

Established Member
I wouldn't recommend adding anymore timing to the sct strategy tune since it already has 5 degrees of global timing on it and it is already an aggressive tune out of the box.

DIB5.0

Established Member
Someone said it is already at 29*-30* of timing. Thats already to much.

bmitchell373

Established Member
Ive been threw tuning school, the new shop owner has been tuning cars for a few years. Again, I am not worried about hurting the car. If it is already at 26+ of timing then, that is a lot. I am going to be spending many, many hours on the dyno learning the Coyote as I've heard there very different. After I master it (evil laugh) i will offer known safe tunes to Locals, I will not be in the e-mail market. I am not trying to take away anything from the major players out there. But with locals I will offer another option. I will be doing e-85 tunes as well.

Dyno is off of Deer Valley and Cave Creek.

Users who are viewing this thread