SCT pre-program tune vs. custom tune?

fast02gt

Established Member
I was wondering what everyone would think about this. I'm trying to decide if doing a custom tune on the dyno would be worth it compared to the tune that SCT gives you with the programer. I just have JLT intake, X-pipe, and catback as far as power, I also have a 75 shot of nitrous that i'm going to get a tune for regardless. However, is a tune for the motor really going to make that much of a difference? Thanks. FYI I could get a mail order tune for $60.00 for the nitrous VS. $450.00 for a dyno session which I think is a little high considering my car isn't "heavily" modified. :beer:

Bimmer1999

Established Member
Are you going wet or dry. Safest way would be dyno tune but on a 75 shot you are not really going to see much as far as getting your car tuned off nitrous. A big advantage to dyno tuning is that you could leave the colder plugs in the car and the tuner could tune your car to run with them no problem.

You are looking to only have to pull about 3-4 degrees of timing which you should be able to do with your tuner. I don't think you will even really need to have a mail order tune for what you are looking to do.

I would look at putting non projected spark plugs in the motor for spray just as a safety factor.

fast02gt

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing. Thats why I can't see 450 dollars on the dyno. I have NGK TR6 plugs at .30, I haven't messed with pulling timing on my tuner, as I'm not sure how much to pull throughout the power band.

Bimmer1999

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing. Thats why I can't see 450 dollars on the dyno. I have NGK TR6 plugs at .30, I haven't messed with pulling timing on my tuner, as I'm not sure how much to pull throughout the power band.

I would recommend some BR7EF not the tr6. The Tr6 is a projected tip plug. BR7 is non projected tip and is better for increased heat and pressures. Should be NGK 3346 part number

Franchi

Established Member
To be completely honest, with your setup, a dyno tune would be sorta overkill IMO. Couldn't hurt anything of course but why spend that much when don't need to?

fast02gt

Established Member
Well that is exactly what I was thinking Franchi. I'm probably just going to go ahead and get the nitrous mail tune from VMP and then pull it on the dyno to make sure everything is good.

Users who are viewing this thread